Can music alter one’s consciousness?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I am not really referring to: does a punk music fan who listens to punk rock want to run out and get a Mohawk and put on tight black pants. That’s not what I am talking about.

What I was wondering was more metaphysical or almost spiritual.

Not to get all hippie on y’all but does music alter one’s consciousness?

By listening to The Beatles day in and day out, does one begin to pick up the themes and ideas and morals and beliefs inherent in that music? If one listens to Arcade Fire or Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan is does that music become almost part of your DNA? And do multiple listens only enhance that? Saul Williams once said similar things, that after a night at a club, feel your heartbeat, it mirrors the type and beat of the music. Interesting perspective and precisely the thing I am getting at. Does listening to a diet of The Clash and Neil Young make the listener more compassionate and tolerant and more likely to become an activist? Does the listening to songs by Radiohead, Cat Power, The Shins etc… ingrain the values and consciousness inside each song into the DNA so to speak of the listener?

Does listening to a band, cd, song, etc… almost rub off a residue onto the listener that lingers around many years after first hearing it?

I think I agree with the assertion, but I think we don’t really pick up on it, that it is such a part of our lives and experiences, that we don’t even notice it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i know for a fact that radiohead makes people act like snobby douchebags.

and jimi hendrix makes people deliriously think they just heard the greatest guitar playing ever.

aside from that, not sure.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Pink Floyd :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    i know for a fact that radiohead makes people act like snobby douchebags.

LOL!!!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Now, to be serious....

i don't think people are influenced by music. i think people gravitate towards music that reflects who they are.

If you have a snobby "fuck the world" attitude, then punk is going to be your thing

if you smoke a shitload of pot, then the Doors is actually going to sound good

and if you eat an entire sheet of acid in a sitting, then the Grateful dead will sound like god.

If you're a total fake and don't fit in, you're going to listen to pop radio/hip hop to fit in with people.

If you're gay, then female pop music and dance is where you're going to go because you want to feel good and dance
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    Music is just another form of art, and art in general is a device of introspection, which ultimately does have an impact on the consciousness from what I've gathered.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Now, to be serious....

i don't think people are influenced by music. i think people gravitate towards music that reflects who they are.

If you have a snobby "fuck the world" attitude, then punk is going to be your thing

and if you eat an entire sheet of acid in a sitting, then the Grateful dead will sound like god.

If you're a total fake and don't fit in, you're going to listen to pop radio/hip hop to fit in with people.

If you're gay, then female pop music and dance is where you're going to go because you want to feel good and dance
    LOL this made me laugh! :D I have to add though I love the Doors and don't smoke. ;) To the original post though, I do think music can influence you. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Music IS a spiritual thing and definately influences me everyday.....

My favourite album, Yield, tapped into who I truly am 10 years ago and all thats still in me....

I believe Ive inherited alot of my social/political beliefs from Pearl Jam.....

What they stand for is almost half the reason I like them.....

Same goes for Radiohead, sigur ros, tom waits and REM......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • I think it's a bit of both actually. On the one hand, you attract the kind of music that goes along with your general mindset. That's why 16-year-olds listen to more "aggressive" rock than they probably do 5 years later.

On the other hand, I think radiohead33 also has a point that the music you listen to amplifies your mindset. But it think the chain of causation is that you have a certain mindset first and then gravitate towards the kind of art that reflects that mindset and furthers it.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    But it think the chain of causation is that you have a certain mindset first and then gravitate towards the kind of art that reflects that mindset and furthers it.

I very much agree with this.....

The music i listen too reflects, as well as influences, my thoughts and feelings.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • I am not really referring to: does a punk music fan who listens to punk rock want to run out and get a Mohawk and put on tight black pants. That’s not what I am talking about.

What I was wondering was more metaphysical or almost spiritual.

Not to get all hippie on y’all but does music alter one’s consciousness?

By listening to The Beatles day in and day out, does one begin to pick up the themes and ideas and morals and beliefs inherent in that music? If one listens to Arcade Fire or Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan is does that music become almost part of your DNA? And do multiple listens only enhance that? Saul Williams once said similar things, that after a night at a club, feel your heartbeat, it mirrors the type and beat of the music. Interesting perspective and precisely the thing I am getting at. Does listening to a diet of The Clash and Neil Young make the listener more compassionate and tolerant and more likely to become an activist? Does the listening to songs by Radiohead, Cat Power, The Shins etc… ingrain the values and consciousness inside each song into the DNA so to speak of the listener?

Does listening to a band, cd, song, etc… almost rub off a residue onto the listener that lingers around many years after first hearing it?

I think I agree with the assertion, but I think we don’t really pick up on it, that it is such a part of our lives and experiences, that we don’t even notice it.

Your PM led me to this, hahahah. Interesting question. I do a lot of chanting, mostly hindu, yogic kind of chanting. Singing all the revealed names of God, and I have to say, it does indeed alter my consciousness. Or more to the point, brings me to it. Meditation for me, is deeply enhanced by music..... experience of the self much more pronounced when accompanied by music and words that have no attachment to ego.
    Other music has always done that for me. The live music experience in particular, has always been a really inexplicable bliss for me. At that moment, you are here...... now....... and there's nothing else. All there is, is the collective energy, band, audience....... all here, right now. Group chanting is really amazing for this too, because everyone in the room has exactly the same purpose and the collective energy from that is really quite powerful.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Now, to be serious....

i don't think i ever thought of it this way
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Now, to be serious....

I agree with your first statement. But I disagree with all your examples.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    I don't know about other people, but i do get influenced. sure i haven't taken all of PJ's beliefs and their political ideas, but majority of them are similar to mine. Listening to PJ's music is cool, because sometimes i forget what's the right thing to do/be. Before Pearl Jam i was listening to Nirvana because i was depressed and Nirvana expressed my pain and let me feel sorry for myself for a long time.........which was therapeutic.....i guess. but it was Eddie and Pearl Jam that bought me into a better state of mind, and made me let go of things and concentrate on what's important. that's why i like both bands but will only listen to one.( only because other might bring some memories )

hehe, why do you think i only post in here, and nowhere else, and regard PJ as one of my favourite bands? :)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Now, to be serious....

The examples in bold are the reason why this is the most ignorant post I have read for at least a week.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The examples in bold are the reason why this is the most ignorant post I have read for at least a week.

If you ask me, you can put them all in bold.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední