Steve Earle

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Anyone a fan of Steve Earle. A rarity in country music, in that he is a Marxist. His music possesses a special quality. Hard to define.

Anyway, his music comes from the heart and I think one can feel that when listening to his songs
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• what! No way, he did not sell the revolution starts now to a car company!

I havent heard anything about this. Are you sure your not talking about John Mellencamp?
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I loved his album 'Jerusalem' which included the song 'john Walkers Blues'. I've got a compilation album aswell which is great - 'Guitar man' and 'The Rain came down' e.t.c.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Steve Earle is hands down one of the best singer/songwriters working today. Guitar Town, I Feel Alright, Transcendental Blues, Jerusalem, and The Revolution Starts Now are all stellar albums, but my absolute favorite is probably El Corazon. He's done some pretty cool cover songs over the years as well. If you haven't heard it yet, do yourselves a favor and download his version of Nirvana's "Breed". It kicks ass. It's been a couple of years since his last record, and I can't wait to hear what he does next.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    what! No way, he did not sell the revolution starts now to a car company!

I havent heard anything about this. Are you sure your not talking about John Mellencamp?

Steve Earle did too.
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Steve Earle is hands down one of the best singer/songwriters working today. Guitar Town, I Feel Alright, Transcendental Blues, Jerusalem, and The Revolution Starts Now are all stellar albums, but my absolute favorite is probably El Corazon. He's done some pretty cool cover songs over the years as well. If you haven't heard it yet, do yourselves a favor and download his version of Nirvana's "Breed". It kicks ass. It's been a couple of years since his last record, and I can't wait to hear what he does next.

El Corazon is my favorite as well. I think that is his best one. I really love his early stuff also. But, I just can't get in to the stuff he has done post El Corazon. There are some cool songs here or there, but it doesn't move me the way the other shit does. The Mountain was pretty good though.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • what! No way, he did not sell the revolution starts now to a car company!

It is indeed true. This is coming from someone who is a huge fan of his. I got hooked on Jerusalem, and loved his political songs. After someone gave me a link to this commercial I haven't been able to enjoy his more polemic songs. All his talk of revolution is just complete bullshit. He was asked to do the VFC tour but wouldn't because he "needed the money" he could get touring on his own in the same states. That being said, I've rediscovered his "comeback" albums like Train a Comin' and I feel alright. I have a feeling his next reccord will be mostly love songs as he's newly remarried.
  • Great artist, not to mention he's on the best TV show of the last 10 years in HBO's THE WIRE
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    All his talk of revolution is just complete bullshit. He was asked to do the VFC tour but wouldn't because he "needed the money" he could get touring on his own in the same states.

I call bullshit. Where exactly did you hear this? Do you have a source? The dude has been a political activist for the majority of his career and makes a pretty damn good living touring North America on a regular basis. Trust me, the guy doesn't need money. He's played a large number of benefit shows over the years for a number of different causes, and I highly doubt that he turned down the VFC tour because of money. One of his biggest heroes is Bruce Springsteen for christ sakes, and he's also a big Pearl Jam fan. The fact that he didn't play VFC most likely had more to do with scheduling conflicts or personal reasons. Aside from Bruce, PJ, and the Dixie Chicks, Steve Earle is one of the only major artists out there actually trying to change things and speaking his mind on a daily basis.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • My source was an episode of his radio show. I would attempt to look it up but the radio episode archive is pretty huge as hes been at it for a long time. Believe me, I am aware of his connection to Pearl Jam and Bruce, but I remember him saying this mainly because of how suprised I was that he said it.
    I think he's a tremendous activist on death penalty issues but selling the rights of a song talking about revolution and "where you lay your money down" to general motors is really incongruent. Sorry to burst your bubble, believe me, it pissed me off too.
  • i like the album "guitar town"
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • http://www.steveearle.net/radio/

It might have been the episode with conor oberst. He made a joke about how he had to pay alamoni
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    I call bullshit. Where exactly did you hear this? Do you have a source? The dude has been a political activist for the majority of his career and makes a pretty damn good living touring North America on a regular basis. Trust me, the guy doesn't need money. He's played a large number of benefit shows over the years for a number of different causes, and I highly doubt that he turned down the VFC tour because of money. One of his biggest heroes is Bruce Springsteen for christ sakes, and he's also a big Pearl Jam fan. The fact that he didn't play VFC most likely had more to do with scheduling conflicts or personal reasons. Aside from Bruce, PJ, and the Dixie Chicks, Steve Earle is one of the only major artists out there actually trying to change things and speaking his mind on a daily basis.

If you get a chance read his autobiography. Absolutely stunning what he's battled and been through. And it doesn't surprise me that he couldn't do it because of money and his past actions. He quoted in his book that one of his life's goals is to make back a lot of the money he's missed out on and to repay his family for the time he missed because of his drug use in the late 80's/early90's. He's been married like 3 times, owes alimony, child support, etc. My understanding is that's one of the reasons he tours incessantly is so he can make money to keep with all those things and put his family in a position where he thinks they should be because he missed out on so much for about a 6 or 7 year period because of crack and heroin. Unbelievable book. One of the best I've read. And yes I love Steve Earle. I think until this recent run of albums in the late 90's he was pretty much bankrupt and just living on what he could bum and what little money from royalties was coming in from his early albums, which wasn't much at the time.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I don't own any albums by him - but I've seen him live at the HOB in New Orleans...nice show! He did talk alot about revolution and stuff...he even played the Beatles tune.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Boss302Boss302 Posts: 69
    touringfan wrote:
    Great artist, not to mention he's on the best TV show of the last 10 years in HBO's THE WIRE

True dat...end of season 2 when they play I feel alright gives me chills. Him and David Simon are good buds I hear.
    And you may see me today
    with an illegal smile
    it don't cost very much
    but it lasts a long while
    won't you please tell the man
    i didn't kill anyone
    i'm just tryin to have me some fun
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    To be honest, I really only remembered Copperhead Road until about 2 months ago when a friend sent me I Ain't Ever Satisfied.

I'm sure there are other songs of his that I know, but they're not springing to mind. :o
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • porchdwellerporchdweller Posts: 228
    Jeanie wrote:
    To be honest, I really only remembered Copperhead Road until about 2 months ago when a friend sent me I Ain't Ever Satisfied.

I'm sure there are other songs of his that I know, but they're not springing to mind. :o

"Guitar Town"
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    "Guitar Town"

:) Thanks. I'm just listening to it on youtube now, but I have to say I've not heard it before.

But it's ok. Catchy. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    touringfan wrote:
    Great artist, not to mention he's on the best TV show of the last 10 years in HBO's THE WIRE

Best show ever.

He actually recorded Waits' "Way Down In the Hole" for his new album - could potentially be the opening credits.