Alice in Chains-Dirt

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2007 in Other Music
What does this album mean to you?

Where were you when you first heard it?

What impact did it have, and does it still in your life?

Did you ever see Alice live?

Is it as important a record as people claim it is?

Favorite song off the record?

This album has always been pretty dark, it is indeed the screams coming from Layne in the hell of heroin addiction. As a straightedger I credit this record for being a reason why I never touched drugs. Want to know what drugs do to you? Listen to this record. Very powerful stuff. This record to me is the epitome of seattle in the early 90's. Its dark, gritty, and raw, and the truth.

Didnt hear the full record until late in the game, but heard many of their songs as a kid growing up, they had a major impact on me. I heard bits and pieces of the record.

The impact it had was to expose me to songwriting and music that wasnt complete crap, that was speaking from a pure and dark place. This was heavy music, in the real sense of the word. This record is scary. I do think this should be taught or played for kids in school, when talking about drugs and their effects.

Never saw them live, but my cousin saw them in Seattle. Evidently they played in my hometown in Eugene in early 91. I was too young to go, but they were just down the street from my house!

This album is hugely important. It was much heavier than a pearl Jam or Nirvana record. More metal influenced. Not a single song on this record is awful.

Down in a hole is such a powerful song. To think about what the lyrics are actually talking about...its chilling.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    Great album to this day(and I've had it since it was released) I must be in a good state of mind to listen to it in it's entirety because it has an intense depressing affect on me.

Never saw Alice in Chains live and really don't think it would be the same without Layne IMO.

I agree a totally real life album.
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • FreshTendrilsFreshTendrils Posts: 267
    The album itself hit me instantly. Those terrific harmonies over the thundering music was amazing to hear for the first time. It seems like every time I listen to it, I pick out another song I love.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • This album doesn't really "mean" something to me other than it's one of my all-time favorite albums to listen to straight through. Because I've never done any drugs or anything like that I don't relate to the words so much, but was still instantly drawn to the music and how Jerry and Layne complemented each other so well

I bought this CD the day it came out, and because I know way too much useless trivia, I can tell you with 100% confidence that it came out the same day as Blind Melon's debut album because I bought them both at the same time. Sadly, neither frontman is still around.

Fortunately, I was able to see them at Lollapalooza in 1993.

I think the album hits home more to people with addictions past and present. Again, I've never had any and still think it's a friggin' masterpiece.

And lastly, my favorite song has got to be "Down in a Hole". I know that there are plenty of other great ones to choose from (Angry Chair & Dirt come to mind), but for me it doesn't get any better than that.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

This album means a hell of a lot to me, nearly every time I took acid I listened to this album on it and were talking a lot of acid there.:)

In my living room, I was about 14.

No.

Yes, for me personally it's my 3rd favourite record in existance.

Rain When I Die.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • one of the best albums ever and best bands as well !
    Master of Zen
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    1. What does this album mean to you?

2. Where were you when you first heard it?

3. What impact did it have, and does it still in your life?

4. Did you ever see Alice live?

5. Is it as important a record as people claim it is?

6. Favorite song off the record?

1. It was the second album on CD I brought, I loved it at the time.

2. My House.

3. At the time it was one of my very fav albums. Now I find it hard to listen to out of the 4 big Seattle Bands AIC are the one i've gone of most as i've grown up. Playing 'Them Bones' on my Sons Xbox (guitar hero) sure is fun though!

4. No.

5. Not sure about this.

6. Would.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    It's an awesome album. I have it on my mp3 player now. I think a lot of it is about drug use, loneliness and anger. I never saw them live, but I wish I had. I think "Would?" is probably my favorite, but I like all of them.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    Dirt is an amazing album. It's dark, soulful, and you can really hear the torture in Layne's vocals. It's most definitely my favorite Alice In Chains album or ep. So many great songs are on this album, so it's hard to pick out a favorite song. If forced, Down in a Hole, Rooster, and Would? rank as the top songs in my opinion.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    'Dirt' is such a dark & harrowing album. But I love the way the tracks sound so painfully beautiful on the 'Unplugged' album. Sign of great songwriting.
    Vocal & guitar work is some of the most under-rated ever in my opinion.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Easily the best 'grunge' album. It's a very moving album,.. very powerful. I think "Would?" is the best song of that era.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    my first ever concert was Polooza in 93. Rage was fisrt and Alice In Chains was the last band we saw. At that moment, I was forever changed on how not only the type of music I listened to, but how I listened to it. After being brought up on the Rolling Stones, that concert made me realize that I was living in a time of musical greatness, and that where as in the 60's and 70's people had their Stones and Beatles, and Zepplins, we, speaking as a child of the 90's, had our Pearl Jam, and Alice In Chains, and Nirvana and Soundgarden. We had our voice. That concert opened huge doors for me.

Now, the album Dirt is great, I already loved Pearl Jam and they were and still are by far my favorite band. The AIC concert just explained to me why I was so hooked on this shit!

Off track, it was SAP, that really took me from Anakin to Darth Vader so to speak, assuming they were good guys!! You hear all this angst and aggresion and a loud opinionated voice screaming at you, and then with SAP, it was like the exact opposite for me. It wasn't sappy love songs, but Layne and Jerry showed themselves in a different way.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Such a heavy, yet beautiful album. It means so much to me as it changed my perspective on singing and guitar playing. So incredible. Easily in my top 10 albums of all time.
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    Well, it's one of my favorite albums of all time for sure. Theres really not a bad track on the album. Them Bones, Rooster, Would?, Sickman are all awesome. However, Down in a Hole is my favorite song on the album. Just such a great song. The lyrics are very dark and powerful. I credit Layne and Shannon for why I have not, and will not, do drugs (besides pot of course).

I'm going to see AIC with Velvet Revolver at Jones Beach this summer. I know its not going to be the same without Layne but they are one of my favorite bands of all time and I just have to go see them even if its without him. Plus, I heard the new guy sounds pretty good and obviously Jerry still rocks.
  • reachdown12reachdown12 Posts: 693

So much, it was one of the first rock albums i ever got into..the passion, so striking on that album. One of the major reasons i got into music.

My friend had gotten it for me on my birthday..i had heard several songs from it and became hooked. the album, again was extremely moving and emotional.

An amazing one...one of the reasons I am where i am today and led me to be who i am. It's music was one of the main reasons i picked up the guitar. Truly impacting for me and still is.

Not with Layne, but with William back in october. One of the most amazing nights of my life(i met Jerry that night) the setlist was flawless, the emotion was so alive..it was purely electric. spiritually moving could be a description.

all their albums are important and impacting in each way to their own slightly overrated? no, it is a true gem and Down in a Hole was the song that got me into them. Have other albums been just as amazing and do not receive their due credit? absolutely.

I have always said, each song has its own special meaning and place in my heart and none is superior to the other. each song helps make this album a true beauty in each and every way.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Album means alot to me. My favorite AIC album, first time i heard it was at my cousins house around 93. Never seen them live. I think its a really important record. and my favorite song is Godsmack, hands down
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    "Dirt" is always a major point of reference when I talk about, or have to defend the whole late 80's/early 90's Seattle rock scene. Fifteen years on and its power, energy and honesty remain in tact. I was also an out of control mess at the time it came out, so it's turned into a bit of a medal of honor and/or survival to me.

On a trip up north to Tacoma during a horrendous rain storm. We listened to it over and over the entire (3+ hour) drive. It just seemed so right.

Easy: It showed me the beauty in misery.

Twice.

To me, yes.

Any given track at any given time.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"