drone/doom metal

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2006 in Other Music
anyone into this?

I know about Sunno))) and Earth but other than that I know nothing about the music really. Seems to me it would be a eerie concert to go to, anyone ever been to a Earth or Sunno))) concert?

Very bizaare stuff though.

I can definitely see why Dylan Carlson would be the frontman of Earth and play that type of music, the guy is a former heroin addict and kurt cobains best friend. Crazy life he has led.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I don't own very much - I have a Jesu EP but I know that some people don't really consider that true doom or drone. I have some Candlemass stuff, but it really isn't anything to get worked up over
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Here's some awesome doom bands to check out:
    Esoteric (They're crushingly heavy, excellent band)
    Candlesmass
    Early Anathema (Like the Crestfallen EP)
    Early Paradise Lost - 'Gothic', 'Icon', 'Lost Paradise' or 'Draconian Times'
    My Dying Bride - Check out 'The Dreadful Hours', 'The Angel and the Dark River', or 'Turn Loose the Swans')
    Early Katatonia - particularly 'Brave Murder Day' which features nonother than Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt doing growlsing vocals.
    The Reverend Bizarre - 'In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend' is easily one of the best doom releases in the last decade
    Try some Boris is want more drone

These are some good doom entrance points
  • Seems to me it would be a eerie concert to go to, anyone ever been to a Earth or Sunno))) concert?
    I've been to see SunnO))) before, and they were amazing. A complete headfuck from start to finish, I was really stoned and went into a complete trance. Definitely recommended.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Warhorse - As Heaven Turns to Ash...
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I have a Sunn O))) and a Boris release as well as Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer. Though I really want to listen to Pink, I am not totally sold on this genre. Interesting for sure.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I've also seen Sunn o))) and recommend them very much. I've seen Khanate too who were also really good (and loud). I need to check out some Boris. The following link has doom with samples to listen & see what you like best.

http://www.aquariusrecords.org/cat/metalstonerrock.html

Witchcraft from Sweden are starting a US tour soon. Their site is linked below.

http://www.witchcrafthome.com
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Boris is amazing live. A great mix of heavy drones and psychedelic hard rock. Their albums are good, too, and it's nice to see them get this much attention overseas.

And you can get high on this stuff WITHOUT taking in any form of substances. Just open your ears and mind....
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • AranarthAranarth Posts: 227
    Boris is fantastic