major pet peeve: tall people at concerts!

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited February 2008 in Other Music
as a small person of italian ancestory, it pisses me off greatly when a tall person is in the first few rows of a concert.

its tough for us small people, who have to crane our necks to see the stage and the artists, while those people who are giants could have stood in the back and seen fine.

it should be common courtesy for tall people to look behind them and make sure a smaller person isnt behind them, and if they are, the tall person should offer to let the smaller person move up.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Oh grow up!!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    You dropped your rattle.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • go fuck yourself :D
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    as a small person of italian ancestory, it pisses me off greatly when a tall person is in the first few rows of a concert.

its tough for us small people, who have to crane our necks to see the stage and the artists, while those people who are giants could have stood in the back and seen fine.

it should be common courtesy for tall people to look behind them and make sure a smaller person isnt behind them, and if they are, the tall person should offer to let the smaller person move up.

i think they should just have to walk on ther knees. or maybe crawl on hands and knees and let your stumpy ass stand on their back.
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    So what am I supposed to stand at the back of the club? I'm 6'6" so if I followed your advice that's exactly were I'd end up. I feel sorry for short people but your suggestion is just as asinine as asking a black women to give up her seat in the front of a bus and move to the back.
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • and being shorter automatically guarantees your tenclub number to be reduced.....

hmmmmmmmm............SO, maybe I should cut off my legs before the show so you can let me back in front of you. ;D

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• fotd wrote:
    So what am I supposed to stand at the back of the club? I'm 6'6" so if I followed your advice that's exactly were I'd end up. I feel sorry for short people but your suggestion is just as asinine as asking a black women to give up her seat in the front of a bus and move to the back.

Im 6'2" and I dont feel sorry for short people.............are they comfortable on a plane? Yes. Long car trips? Yes. Easier to have sex in a car? Yes. Fit in a normal bed? Yes. Fit two people lying down on a couch? Yes.
    Nuff said....

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• fotdfotd Posts: 514
    upina2001 wrote:
    Im 6'2" and I dont feel sorry for short people.............are they comfortable on a plane? Yes. Long car trips? Yes. Easier to have sex in a car? Yes.
    Nuff said....

I couldn't agree more. Man it would be cool to be able to fit into a fuel efficient vehicle i could afford. I guess I only really feel sorry for them at the grocery store when they can reach the cans up on the top shelf.
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • If I got in line before you did I deserve to be able to stand where I desire. My advice...if you want to be able to see the stage get there earlier so you can get up front.

Or wear lifts...
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    I'll usually let a person in front of me if they're really enjoying the show and having a hard time getting around me and if they're cool. Other than that, I'm sorry you got behind me. Especially if it's a GA show..."Hey look, there's a 6'9" guy, lets go stand behind him." That's not my problem really. It's funny though, if I let someone around me then everyone thinks they're entitled to. It's just luck of the draw, Tall people have advantages and disadvantages just like short people. Let tall people enjoy their advantage of being able to see the stage.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

this past week i've seen some major childish whining but this wins HANDS DOWN!!!

seriously, tall people have to go to the back? think about it....does that really make sense to you? :rolleyes:
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    I'll usually let a person in front of me if they're really enjoying the show and having a hard time getting around me and if they're cool. Other than that, I'm sorry you got behind me. Especially if it's a GA show..."Hey look, there's a 6'9" guy, lets go stand behind him." That's not my problem really. It's funny though, if I let someone around me though, then everyone thinks they're entitled to. It's just luck of the draw, Tall people have advantages and disadvantages just like short people. Let tall people enjoy their advantage of beind able to see the stage.
    Very true. I'm short 5'2" and my husband is 6'4" so I know both sides. He is always aware and does what he can, but in the end it's no ones fault. I just kind of expect to not be able to see and am ok with that. I can still hear! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    wolfbear wrote:
    Very true. I'm short 5'2" and my husband is 6'4" so I know both sides. He is always aware and does what he can, but in the end it's no ones fault. I just kind of expect to not be able to see and am ok with that. I can still hear! :)

exactly....:)

i'm 6' and i've been behind guys taller than me......there is just no logic behind this complaint....:
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    wolfbear wrote:

Yeah I hear ya...I went to a radio festival here back in September, and there was this girl behind me that was 5'2". She was the coolest freakin person I ever met. She got behind me and was stuck there, I found her after a set and we just started talking, but refused to get in front of me because she said it was her own fault for ending up there and didn't want more people trying to bumrush our spot when we were switching. But she asked if she could jump on my shoulders to watch at certain points which I didn't mind. It was a blast all day, she finally ended up getting next to me though and then just asked me what was going on. I think she got tired. =p But her attitude amazed me and I still think she's one of the coolest people I ever hung out with.

• it should be common courtesy for tall people to look behind them and make sure a smaller person isnt behind them, and if they are, the tall person should offer to let the smaller person move up.

but there's always going to be another tall person.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Poor lil' thing... not! Come prepared at a gig... for when you put yourself behind a tall person who won't let you get in front of him/her. You should be OK then.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    If I got in line before you did I deserve to be able to stand where I desire. My advice...if you want to be able to see the stage get there earlier so you can get up front.

Or wear lifts...

exactly.
  • I'm 6' 4" and my wifes about 5' 3" . She's always maintained that if anyone over about 5' 8" stands in front of her she's fucked anyway.
    Maybe for GA shows we could have like a tiered admission system, shortest at the front and tallest at the back. Then maybe instead of crowd surfing, the verticaly challenged at the front could take it in turns to run to the back and roll back down to the front! Or maybe not?
  • Where you the whiney little bitch standing behind me at camden night one in 06' Not only did you get a usher to ask me to move you started shit with several others. Being that we were in row three on mikes side I questioned how someone so young was able to score fan club tickets so close. Later yostarama

• suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    If I got in line before you did I deserve to be able to stand where I desire. My advice...if you want to be able to see the stage get there earlier so you can get up front.

Or wear lifts...

This is pretty much what I was going to say. If you want to guarantee yourself a good spot then get there early. It's that simple. I can't stand it if I'm at a show and I hear people behind me complaining about not being able to see. Well you kow what, it's your own damn fault. I didn't step in front of you, you choose to stand behind me....are you fucking kidding me?!?

What I also can't stand is when people feel they have the right to push their way towards the front. I've been standing here for two hours and you just arrived and think it's ok to push past me....are you fucking kidding me?!?

Even worse if when a short girl asks if she can get by. So you let her by, then her three girl friends follow her, followed by her two guy friends. So you think they're going to keep moving forward, but they don't, they stop right in front of you....are you fucking kidding me?!?
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • im 6'3. have fun looking at my part! my girlfriend is short and i go where she goes to be able to see.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • I'm a short arse too but I usually end up standing over on the sides where I can still see and can avoid getting sucked into the moshpit. Wembley was a nightmare for that!

Anyway, I don't mind tall people so much - its the ones with big hair or are wearing big hats or waving huge flags that block the view of the stage for the people behind them that get on my nerves. I remember that there was a huge group of italians at the wembley show that had both cowboy hats and a massive italian flag that they kept waving all through the show that were really pissing people off behind them. It was very inconsiderate of them.

A friend of mine, also short, did the right thing when she was there - she wore a pair of really high heels, like 5" ones. I'm thinking that's worth buying a pair like that just for shows, and taking flats with me for afterwards when I have to hobble home!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337

Sorry.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225

Here are a couple of helpful hints you may wish to employ:
    HINT #1: Get the the venue before I do. I get there early enough to wait on the fucking filthy sidewalk to get as close to the stage as possible... while you're kicking back and taking your time getting to the venue. Maybe getting a meal or kicking back with a beer. I'm in line.

HINT #2: Open your eyes. If I am standing there... don't stand behind me. When I get in... I don't move. I even make sure to stop taking in liquids so I can stand in the same spot through the opening acts without having to take a leak. If you fail to follow hint #2... don't stand directly behind me so you are staring at the back of my soon to be sweaty shirt... stand where you can look over my shoulder.
    The dumbest thing I have ever heard was this gal that complained that at every show she goes to... the tall people stand in front of her. She was fucking five foot one... EVERYONE is taller than her. And I didn't see her sleeping on the sidewalk... or even there when Sonic Youth was onstage. She gets there before Pearl Jam goes on... and bitches about my height.
    And personally... I am aware of the person behind me. As soon as I hit the floor, I always make a quick scan of the environ and make sure I can see over the people in front of me. I always make sure the person that is behind me can see... and if they cannot... I swap spaces with them... if they are female. To me... stepping back 6 inches isn't that great of a problem... unless they demand it. I'll offer it up.. but, if you whine about it... sorry.
    I hope you find these hints helpful... and maybe at the next General Admission Show... you will employ them.
    Oh.. and I forgot HINT #3: Courtesy is yielded to the courtious... it is not taken by the selfish.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • I am 6'6" and have allowed people in front of me at the majority of the GA shows I have been too. I have no problem doing that if I notice someone cannot see behind me. The second I hear someone bitching behind me though, they don't stand a chance. I don't remember signing up to be this tall, so why I should be punished for it at concerts is as fucking stupid as saying that you should stand in the back at concerts so you don't get trampled by the tall people when they leave.