Iron and Wine

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2007 in Other Music
sam Beam is incredible. If your looking for intricate guitar riffs, tool like philosophical lyrics, and music that creates new genres look elsewhere.

But if your looking for quiet, soft, simple, and chilling music about life, and live Sam Beam is for you.

The loss and longing in the music is stunning. The funny thing is that he doesnt need the above things, the intricate guitar riffs to create mindblowing music. Its perfect with him, Sara and the guitar.

hard to describe, but run to the store and buy The Creek Drank the Cradle and Endless Numbered Days immediately.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Endless Numbered Days is a great album, excellent late night listening. The Calexico/Iron & Wine ep "In the Reins" is good too, has Sams storytelling verse combined with Calexico's southwest feel.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • granparocksgranparocks Posts: 45
    i couldn't agree more about iron and wine and sam beam.

i was lucky enough to hear about 6 of his new songs that are coming out this fall at a concert a couple of months ago. let's just say it's going to be a good record.

on npr there is a link to a show he did at 9:30 club a while back with calexico. i'm actually not sure if it's still up, but if you're a fan it is worth checking out.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    Upward over the mountain could be the most intense song ever. It expresses so much. WOW!
  • I LOVE IRON AND WINE!!!!!!!!!!

how's calexico?
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • HerboHerbo Posts: 63
    Sam Beam would be good entertainment around a campfire, with his brother Jim.
    Take a bottle drink it down..... pass it around !
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    I LOVE IRON AND WINE!!!!!!!!!!

how's calexico?
    Calexico is great. Totally check out the Iron & Wine/Calexico disc if you already like Iron & Wine.

Garden Ruin, Calexico's newest, is pretty good too.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    Calexico is great. Totally check out the Iron & Wine/Calexico disc if you already like Iron & Wine.

Garden Ruin, Calexico's newest, is pretty good too.

Feast of Wire is probably my favorite Calexico album. Music that wouldn't feel out of place in a Clint Eastwood western is probably the best way to describe it.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i LOVE the Woman King EP and The Creek Drank The Cradle. i did not care for the Calexico colaboration though. has anyone bought their iTunes only stuff? is it worth it? i'm sure it is i just want feedback before purchasing everything... i believe there's a set from Woodstock on there.
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    I have the iTunes Exclusive Live Session...I didn't really think it was worth it.

But the "Live at Lollapalooza 2006" is really, really good. There's a great rhumba version of Jezebel, and it's actually 4 songs, not 3 - for some reason, "Freedom Hangs Like Heaven" isn't listed, but it's on the same track as "Peace Beneath the City".
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    I have the iTunes Exclusive Live Session...I didn't really think it was worth it.

I like the iTunes session. The Love Vigilantes cover is pretty cool, and I can't get enough of the Trapeze Swinger. Although the 'clean' version probably wasn't necessary, and screws up the flow.

Sam does a nice cover of the Flaming Lips Waitin' for a Superman too.

• The MaestroThe Maestro Posts: 100
    Iron & Wine are great. I like the Woman King EP the best, and Our Endless Numbered Days is amazing too.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Woman King!

Yes. Very nice. High five.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011