How do you decide what music you want to listen to during the day?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited March 2008 in Other Music
A question no one asks anyone.

I have always had an eclectic taste in music, ranging from reggae to punk to grunge to hip hop to metal to any music in between. And my daily diet of music would consist of steady helpings of each of those or at least a good chunk of those. I would listen to Jimi, then Bob Marley, then Public Enemy. Or I would listen to PJ, Dylan, Mos Def etc…

But for an entire year, this last year, and it shows no sign of stopping, I have been listening almost exclusively to indie rock, Sufjan, Damien Rice, Josh Radin, Cat Power, Modest Mouse, The Shins etc… Jimi, Pink Floyd, and other staples of my musical life have rarely been dusted off in quite some time.

I think for me, how I decide what I want to listen to, is if the music speaks to me, if it speaks to my current state of mind. And right now, indie rock is defining my life, and is speaking to me in a way no other genre has done since the demise of Grunge. Its like finding an old friend again, albeit finding an old friend you haven’t seen in a decade. It feels like Grunge spoke to me in a way that no other music could or did, and I spent a decade hoping the next Kurt would rise up and make some good music. I waited and waited.

So, when you turn on the iPod or the stereo, how do you decide what you want to listen to?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My mood, obviously. Very broad answer I know, but to get more specific would take pages of explanation. ;)

I've found that most of the time I can change my mood based on what music I listen to and more importantly what memories are attatched to that music.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Same here i now listen to pretty much nothing but newer indie... even pearl jam has taken a back seat to bands like Pinback, MGMT, and Modest Mouse. And it is also all about memories... like toast said... if certain sogns will remond me of good times... I will tend to like them more even if I didn't typically like it.
  • Same here i now listen to pretty much nothing but newer indie... even pearl jam has taken a back seat to bands like Pinback, MGMT, and Modest Mouse. And it is also all about memories... like toast said... if certain sogns will remond me of good times... I will tend to like them more even if I didn't typically like it.
    Even though you share my sentamentality about music you gotta expand your taste! That phrase "nothing but newer indie" sent chills down my spine. Just some advice from someone who's seen a lot of really cool people with your stated music taste go down a road that turned them into snobby, boring people. :)

In any case, I hope you listen to Broken Social Scene!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,968
    "shuffle all songs"
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    what i listen to depends on my mood and the time of the day.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    It chooses me
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i ask my magic 8 ball.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I generally listen to as many completely different things as possible. beyond that, the actual choices is just whatever jumps out at me. I try to download (yes, so what? I'm a poor student) at least one album a day as well.

Today I listened to Mobb Deep, Josh Ritter, Eric Dolphy, Velvet Underground, Suede, Bowie, Cryptopsy, The Van Pelt and Boards of Canada... so we have a selection ranging from hip-hop, through folk, jazz, death metal and electronica.

all in all, a good days work :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I just roll down through my iPod and when I see something I haven't heard in awhile I listen to it. Other times I just hit shuffle.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    During the day I generally listen to music that is either relaxing (Sigur Ros, Broken Social Scene) or has clever lyrics (Elliott Smith, Neil Young, Bert Jansch); so usually music that's a bit folky. Stuff I can have in the background no worries but can concentrate on and appreciate when I want to.

While walking I generally listen to upbeat rock songs (Pearl Jam, Brand New, Heatmiser, pretty much any mainstream rock band I like). Nice melodies and easy to listen to.

During the night I listen to the more rockier music with pounding rhythms (Nine Inch Nails, McLusky, Pixies); so letting the hair down music.

So that's my routine. If I don't know what to play I'll stick my ipod on shuffle til something catches my eye.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    There really isn't any 'how' for me. It is just what appeals to me at a given moment, and I don't have a reason, except that whatever it is is what I want to hear then.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Look through the list until something appeals to me at the time. I do generally have music that I listen to when I'm happy/sad and it's day/night.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    since my ipod refuses to work in my car...i have to listen to annuals, since it's stuck in my cd player and i refuse to listen to the radio!!

getting ready for work in the morning, i just feel out my mood. if i feel like getting pumped up and dancy, i have been listening to the new hot chip (LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!). feeling a bit quirky...i play vampire weekend. mellow and moody...cat power - jukebox, usually "metal heart" on repeat :) this is all just from this week.

once i get to work, i usually pick out music that will fit my mood for the day without being to sleepy/boring...i'd like to keep my customers awake while they're shopping!! mgmt, daft punk, datarock, yeasayer, celebration, justice have all been on heavy rotation this week. especially justice...their show is tomorrow and i can't wait for the dance party :D
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    It depends, if it's sunny outside and I'm not at work then i'll listen to a whole bunch of stuff. If it's gloomy i'll listen to Travis or The Libertines or something rainy like Soundgarden.