Cd Buying-blind or listen to beforehand

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Whats everyone's preference when buying a cd. Do you go to your local cd store and listen to the cd beforehand. Or do you just blindly buy a cd by a band that has been recommended to you? With bands you like do you just buy their newer stuff or older stuff, without listening, based on the fact you know and like the band?

I own hundreds of cd's and the majority I would say, were recommended to me by others, and I never listened to them beforehand. The funny thing is you would think I would have alot of cd's I ended up not liking, or wasnt into. However 94 percent or so of my cd collection is blind cd recommedations, and I rarely if ever dislike a cd I buy or burn. I cant even remember the last cd I disliked was.

Is this the same with all you? Do you end up buying alot of cd's, and not liking alot of them? Do you buy them for a couple songs, and not like the rest of the album?

Its strange, its not like I am only sticking to a certain type of music. I listen to everything from underground hip hop to Bjork to Tool, to reggae to Blues, to electronica, to folk, to heavy metal to funk etc...

For instance I usually go into a cd store and buy a handful, 8 or 9 cd's, most of them cd's I havent heard before, havent heard a single track off the cd. Yet rarely do I dislike my purchases.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nowadays it's more blind. i figure if a band's show was that great the cd must be at least alright.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Usually i'll get a recomendation and i'll do a lot of research onthe band. Read a lot of reviews and comparisons to what they sound like who their influences are. I love to check out http://www.allmusic.com it is not always correct but it is a good starting point. If they sound like they would be interesting i check them out. sometimes i'll go on itunes and check out the 30 second samples you can listen to as well.

sometimes it works out well... others not so well.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    There are some artists whose albums I always buy blindly, but if I only like one song of a band/artist I didn't know about yet, I'll check if I like the entire album before I buy it.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson