Another Nirvana soon?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Music in terms of mainstream stuff, is pretty stagnant. There really hasnt been a movement in music, since the early 90's grunge scene. Does anyone think in the next few years we will see a new "nirvana". A band that sort of reinvigorates and refuels music. To me, the whole 90's grunge scene was special because it shows why people listen to music, it was special, and loud, and important. It was music with a purpose, the music of a generation.

Will our generation see a new musical movement, that reminds us why we all listen to music? When will this new musical movement appear? In a year? A decade? Will it be a movement in rock, or in another genre?

I remember Rolling Stone did an article about how most kids these days realize most mainstream music is crap and listen to their parents music, Hendrix, Dylan, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Pink Floyd etc...

When will the new musical movement occur?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Music in terms of mainstream stuff, is pretty stagnant. There really hasnt been a movement in music, since the early 90's grunge scene. Does anyone think in the next few years we will see a new "nirvana". A band that sort of reinvigorates and refuels music. To me, the whole 90's grunge scene was special because it shows why people listen to music, it was special, and loud, and important. It was music with a purpose, the music of a generation.

Will our generation see a new musical movement, that reminds us why we all listen to music? When will this new musical movement appear? In a year? A decade? Will it be a movement in rock, or in another genre?

I remember Rolling Stone did an article about how most kids these days realize most mainstream music is crap and listen to their parents music, Hendrix, Dylan, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Pink Floyd etc...

When will the new musical movement occur?
    when hendrix bonham barret moon and cobain come back to life :)
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this time, but yes, I think a new "wave" is coming. (At least I hope so.) I've been through too many to mention, but I'm so sick of hip-hop and dance, it seems it is time again. Just like the 80's disco and big hair fazes. Good music doesn't go away it just goes in cycles. The 90's was like a breath of fresh air. Just glad PJ never went away. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • i don't know if any one band will be that huge again. the musical scope has changed with the internet. so much information, endless music. those days may be over i'm afraid.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    I don't think todays youth would appreciate it if it were to happen, there are great bands out there right now struggling to sell out theaters.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    You know I've seen so many high school aged kids wearing Ramones shirts, Nirvana shirts, and the like. I think they're ripe for a new change. You know, if you compare eras, a change could be imminent. Grunge came about as Clinton became prez, maybe if there's a Dem out there to win the next presidential election a new musical explosion of goodness will happen.
  • no. no. no!

c'mon now. look at the way the industry is today. it's gotten so bad that the great bands around today almost go out of their way to not get big -- but even if they really tried, record companies aren't looking for really good tunes, they're looking for images. i believe the seattle explosion is the last music scene we will see before the world blows up. i know that sounds grim, but i am actually kinda stoked. i love being able to see my favorite bands in tiny clubs and being able to shoot the shit with them afterwards. i dont wanna pay $75 to go to a stadium, bust out binoculars, and miss up to 3 songs every time i have to buy a beer. and truthfully, the dudes in these bands probably love not havin a tour obligations, photo shoots, video shoots, etc.

so, no i dont think there will be a next "nirvana." and i am sorta happy.
  • gabers wrote:
    Grunge came about as Clinton became prez, maybe if there's a Dem out there to win the next presidential election a new musical explosion of goodness will happen.

i disagree -- grunge started in '88, the end of reagan, beginning of bush. grunge died off during clinton. i think musicians write their best stuff when republicans are in office cause they get so pissed off at the policies.
  • as far as i'm concerned the new music "revolution" is myspace.com you can find an infinite number of people making great music just at their homes. it's not about becoming some huge rockstar anymore, it's just about making the best music you can and doing it for the love.
  • Well we made it through the "boy band" era so hopefully only another year or two of this "panic at the disco" and "good charlotte" bullshit until something else.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    as far as i'm concerned the new music "revolution" is myspace.com you can find an infinite number of people making great music just at their homes. it's not about becoming some huge rockstar anymore, it's just about making the best music you can and doing it for the love.
    True to a point. What about those that don't have the time or inclination to search my space though? I have to admit, I'm one of those. I do so to a point, but lose interest quickly. Too much info, not that much that I like, so wasted time. I'm not sure what the answer is though. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."