Tom Petty

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Anyone a fan?

I just love his music. Its not really mindblowing lyrics. And the music itself isnt revolutionary, its just plain, simple good rock and roll and folk music.

It'll all work out, has been playing on my stereo for awhile. What a great song.

Square one off the new record is also really touching
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    One of my favorites and EASILY the most underrated band. If I had to add another band to my screename on here, it would be Petty. I disagree about the lyrics, I think he is one of the best songwriters ever, I can relate to so many of his songs. I also love his sound and he is one of the most consistent artists out there. Ive seen them 3 times live also and each show was great. What are your top 5 albums by him/them? Heres mine.......

1. Wildflowers
    2. Full Moon Fever
    3. Damn The Torpedoes
    4. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    5. The Last DJ
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Tom was deemed the master of the 3minute pop song long ago

He writes amazing songs, imho.

I wonder if he's out on the road this summer...
    augustwest wrote:

Highly doubtful
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Pretty boring in concert.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Petty is amazing in concert. Granted his setlists may be repetative but the shows are great. To say his lyrics aren't anything special is pretty off imo. Highway companion has got some great stuff on it. Listen to don't fade off of wildflowers... amazing guitar and lyrics. The Last DJ has to be one of the most underrated albums of all time. I can't say enough about this man.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    Anyone a fan?

I just love his music. Its not really mindblowing lyrics. And the music itself isnt revolutionary, its just plain, simple good rock and roll and folk music.

It'll all work out, has been playing on my stereo for awhile. What a great song.

Square one off the new record is also really touching

i love tom and the heartbreakers and have done since i was a kid. Nobody else can touch their particular style. In fact, "Learning to Fly" has become my life anthem. Because my Dad played it to me as a kid, it reminds me of my innocent years and every time the riff comes in at the start it's like a nostalgic trip into the past but then it's also an inspiring song about moving forward...

I recently bought Full Moon Fever and i have to say the best moment on that album for me is 'Depending on You' followed by the brilliant 'Apartment Song' Two consecutive 'plain, simple good rock and roll and folk' songs just as you put it.

Long live Tom!
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Its incredible how consistently he can take some not so complicated music and make an awesome song. The guy is phenomenal.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    He's got a gift for melody, a great voice and a brilliant backing band, i think that's what keeps him in a class of his own
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Pretty boring in concert.

Not true at all, I have been to alot of concerts and the best concert I have been to was Petty.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    augustwest wrote:

"Well the good old days,
    may not return..."
  • augustwest wrote:

i'd like to know where you got that from.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Not true at all, I have been to alot of concerts and the best concert I have been to was Petty.

Alright, I saw him once back in 02 maybe and it was alright. But the last time was not very good in my opinion.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I'm a big fan of his music, Full Moon Fever was one of the only CDs my dad had that I listened to as a kid and still like. Saw him live in St. Paul both nights last summer and I loved his show the first night and was a little bored the second night. It was too repetitive; he did the same speeches! Oh well, he's still one of the most entertaining rock and rollers I've ever seen and his guitarist from the Heartbreakers, Mike Campbell, is one of my favourite guitar players.

Some of my favourites of his are You Don't Know How It Feels, Free Fallin', Breakdown, Learning To Fly, and Yer So Bad.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Tom Petty is awesome! I love full moon fever, wildflowers, highway companion, and then the anthology is great too. Oh, and His Traveling wilbury project is amazing. I love those albums! :D His live shows are AMAZING! Never mind the neysayers, Tom Petty is one of my favorite concerts, and he brought Stevie Nicks along with him so that's a plus. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    He is underrated i.m.o. I brought the hard promises album recently really good solid album:)