Rage Against the Machine

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Why do you think they broke up? I have heard rumors of either it was the Tom Commerford incident on MTV where he climbed that structure and wouldnt come down, or political differences.

I have a hard time believing it was political differences. They all seemed like they were all pretty damn radical.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They split because Zach wanted to go in a different direction, making more hip hop music without the heavier hooks. Tom and the rest of the band disagreed. Rage also had intended on playin Cuba shortly after the release of BOLA but Zach pulled the plug on that idea, that probably left the guys pissed, along with the fact that bush got elected.
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • I had always assumed it was "musical differences". sad though cause they were such a great band. on that note, who do you guys think was better : RATM as themselves or RATM as Audioslave? and further more Chris Cornell fronting Audioslave or Soundgarden?

in my opinion this is a hands-down, brainer... RATM is far better then Audioslave and Chris Cornell with Audioslave can't even hold a candle to what he was with Soundgarden.
    1998 : 9/19
    2000 : 9/4
    2003 : 7/1
    2006 : 5/30
    2007 : 8/5
    2008 : 6/17; 6/19; 6/20; 6/22; 6/24; 6/25; 8/16 (EV); 8/21 (EV); 8/22 (EV)
    2009 : 6/11 (EV); 6/12 (EV); 8/23; 8/24; 10/27; 10/28; 10/30; 10/31
    2010 : 5/13
    2012 : 9/2; 9/21; 11/27 (EV); 11/28 (EV)
  • RATM with Zach beats Audioslave hands down. Half of the riffs on that first Audioslave effort could practically been written for a Rage album. I liked Audioslave when they first came along, probably because I got caught up in the SUPERband frenzy, looking back now though I don't really think that their first effort was all that great. Their next two albums are even worse, Cornell was at his peak with Soundgarden. Tom Morello actually can be pretty annoying now, using the same effects and signature sounds that were on all of the Rage albums.
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • Just after rage split up i remember reading an interview where Zach said you knew what a rage album was gonna sound like before they started recording it. This is pretty much true of audioslave, but i still like their stuff. i dont see what all the fuss is about, its like knocking joe strummers stuff with the mes.celaros because it wasnt like the clash
  • i dont see what all the fuss is about, its like knocking joe strummers stuff with the mes.celaros because it wasnt like the clash
    no fuss really, i just always thought that chris cornell's voice never really went with Tom Morello's guitar playing or the overall sound of RATM. to me RATM and Soundgarden were two very different bands that made different, but excellent, music. the merging of the two just never sat well with me, musically that is.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    i dont see what all the fuss is about, its like knocking joe strummers stuff with the mes.celaros because it wasnt like the clash

But I see Strummer's later stuff (especially streetcore which is wicked) as not being like the Clash but being good, the problem with Audioslave isn't that it doesn't sound like Rage, in fact it's the opposite. The problem with Audioslave is that it sounds like really shitty rage.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • no fuss really, i just always thought that chris cornell's voice never really went with Tom Morello's guitar playing or the overall sound of RATM. to me RATM and Soundgarden were two very different bands that made different, but excellent, music. the merging of the two just never sat well with me, musically that is.

Disagree. I think his voice goes well with the heavier stuff, and the softer stuff the music kind of adapts to his voice.
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Evensolo05 wrote:
    RATM with Zach beats Audioslave hands down. Half of the riffs on that first Audioslave effort could practically been written for a Rage album. I liked Audioslave when they first came along, probably because I got caught up in the SUPERband frenzy, looking back now though I don't really think that their first effort was all that great. Their next two albums are even worse, Cornell was at his peak with Soundgarden. Tom Morello actually can be pretty annoying now, using the same effects and signature sounds that were on all of the Rage albums.

The poster asked why RAGE broke up not whether Audioslave are good or not.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • i seem to recall reading recent interviews with tom about terrible chemistry (contrasting it with audioslave) .. zack would sometimes not even show up for rehearsal/recording/writing whatever.. leaving their producer to "fill in" for him..
  • Evensolo05 wrote:
    They split because Zach wanted to go in a different direction, making more hip hop music without the heavier hooks. Tom and the rest of the band disagreed. Rage also had intended on playin Cuba shortly after the release of BOLA but Zach pulled the plug on that idea, that probably left the guys pissed, along with the fact that bush got elected.

you nailed it.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Binaural wrote:
    The poster asked why RAGE broke up not whether Audioslave are good or not.
    You're absolutely right. the poster did not ask that. However while responing to his post, i thought of a question that i had been wanting to ask though I had not yet had the opportunity to do so. And seeing as how it related to what we were talking about I asked who do you guys think was better : RATM as themselves or RATM as Audioslave? and further more Chris Cornell fronting Audioslave or Soundgarden? In turn, that is why Evensolo posted what he did. it was in response to my question, that's all.
  • i think Chris Cornells best work was temple of the dog, so i think eddie vedder can piss off and temple of the dog reform, because totd are better than what audioslave and pearl jam are doing at the moment*

*i'm being sarcastic but hopefully you see my point
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    I remember hearing a song of Zach's somewhere some time ago. i think it was his home page or something like that.. was streaming. he was working with Trent Reznor for a while on his solo album, but something happened between them also.

i do remember liking the song that i heard. though i cannot recall what it was like at all.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I asked who do you guys think was better : RATM as themselves or RATM as Audioslave? and further more Chris Cornell fronting Audioslave or Soundgarden?

I don't think anyone actually thinks Audioslave is better than Rage or Soundgarden.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win