El-P I'll sleep when you're dead

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2007 in Other Music
The 2nd album of El-P who is CEO for Def Jux an indie hip hop label. This is a crazy album just as his first record Fantastic Damage was.

Anyone who is a fan of cerebral, smart, and mindblowing hip hop like Can Ox or Aesop Rock should check this cat out.

Its fitting that the apocalyptic ideas of Kurt Vonnegat are now being discussed as El-P is basically the hip hop version of Vonneget and Phillip K Dick rolled into one.

This cd is the sound of the apocalypse people. Its got Trent Reznor, Mars Volta and Cat power on guest spots as well.

Literary, messed up, scary, and mindblowing. This is the hip hop that should be on MTV. El-P describes life in modern day america, and its a frightening portrayal, where "the city wants you dead" and "my generation carpools with death and doom"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• How's the Mars Volta's guest spot? I heard this is a really good album.
  • yeah the album is crazy, literally. The mars volta guest spot is bizaare and non traditional just like the beats and rhymes of the album. Its a bizaare album but well worth checking out.

Pessimistic and claustraphobic and doom themes are everywhere on this record.
    One of the more powerful lines "why should I stay sober, when god is so clearly dusted out his mind".

Album also has guest spots by a member of Yo La Tengo, and TV on the radio as well.

I think it was allmusic or the onions AV club that called this the best hip hop record of 2007 but also the best hip hop record in years and I tend to agree. Alot of the other indie or concious hip hop acts like the aforementioned Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Can Ox, and others seem to have dipped off the radar.

The beats at least in my mind are mindblowing. This isnt the lame beats of Usher or P Diddy. The beats and sonic textures match the mindstate of america and the world at this point. Crazy crazy stuff going on here

I remember a few years back you had Def Jux and anticon records and rawkus records putting out records that were and continue to be hailed as modern day hip hop classics, every year. Now it seems years between hip hop records of quality. Black on Both Sides, Reflection eternal, Labor days, Bazooka Tooth, Fantastic Damage, Nia, ... those were the good old days