Coldplay

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Anyone a fan here?

I am a fan of Radiohead, u2 and REM which are always said to be the main bands that influenced Coldplay

Are they worth checking out or they just commercial rock at its vainest? Are they actually a good band?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I really like Coldplay, think that there are not a lot of Coldplay fans on this boards but for me they make good music. I'm sure that we can't call it commercial. Why shall we blame a band with serious and honest music if they sell a lot of records? I got all the cd's and find them great, fav song: The scientist and a rush of blood to the head. Fav album: maybe "a rush of blood to the head"
    Sometimes when I listen to the cd's I have the fear that it could become boring and then they just blow me away.
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I'm sure there's something good about them (and they seem like the nicest guys) but it eludes me. They bore me....they really do.

Their music's very milquetoast to me.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • dharma69 wrote:
    I'm sure there's something good about them (and they seem like the nicest guys) but it eludes me. They bore me....they really do.

No they aren't really. they aren't boring at all listen to their lyrics and you'll understand. And I think that they make superb melodies.

A Rush of Blood to the head :
    He said Im gonna buy this place and burn it down
    Im gonna put it six feet underground
    He said Im gonna buy this place and watch it fall
    Stand here beside me baby in the crumbling walls
    Oh Im gonna buy this place and start a fire
    Stand here until I fill all your hearts desires
    Because Im gonna buy this place and see it burn
    Do back the things it did to you in return
    Ah,ah,ah
    He said oh Im gonna buy a gun and start a war
    If you can tell me something worth fighting for
    Oh and Im gonna buy this place, thats what I said
    Blame it upon a rush of blood to the head

Politik
    Look at the earth from outer space
    Everyone must find a place
    Give me time and give me space
    Give me real, dont give me fake
    Give me strength, reserve control
    Give me heart and give me soul
    Give me time, give us a kiss
    Tell me your own politik
    And open up your eyes
    Open up your eyes
    Open up your eyes
    Just open up your eyes

Give me one, cause one is best
    In confusion, confidence
    Give me piece of mind and trust
    Dont forget the rest of us
    Give me strength, reserve control
    Give me heart and give me soul
    Wounds that heal and cracks that fix
    Tell me your own politik

And open up your eyes
    Open up your eyes
    Open up your eyes
    Just open up your eyes

But give me love over, love over, love over this, ahhh
    And give me love over, love over, love over this, ahhh

just great...;)
  • or they just commercial rock at its vainest?

yes
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    newer the album the worse they get

parachutes was a very nice album though
  • yes
    No!
    Sorry, aguiliera is, 50 cents is, Eminem is, spears is, K-Fed is, Carey is, but Coldplay aren't. ;)

I'm tired about talking about if a band is commercial or not. Don't understand why a band is rated by the records they sell. So everyone who sells a lot is commercial ? Ten and Vs were on the top of the billboards, so pj was commercial too? If the guys from Coldplay want to go to the MTV awards and they're still able to make good music it don't matter to me ( because I'm not watching MTV) ;)
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    i highly reccomend a rush of blood to the head, thats my favorite.....Parachutes is also extremely good as is X&Y
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Dull, Dull, Dull and just Dull.

I wouldn't care if they sold X million albums or just a handful, they write and perform dull music.

They are to Radiohead what Nickelback are to Pearl Jam.
  • I don't mind Coldplay. I really enjoyed the first two albums but X&Y was the most "Hit-miss" album I have ever heard. There were some really good tracks, and there were some horrible songs. The lyrics were dreadful on that album, and the b-sides were much better than most the songs that made the album.
  • They're good sleeping music..stuff you put on when you wanna nap to something
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • ohh another thing did they make more than one song? cause they all sound the same to me...
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • 'A Rush of Blood to the Head' was what won me over with Coldplay. Now my favorite is 'Parachutes'. If you are looking for hard rock you wouldn't like Coldplay. But I find their song writing to be excellent and they have wonderful catchy melodies. The more I listen to their albums the more I love them. X&Y took me a live show to get me into it, but now I love it just as much. I also suggest looking up 'the Scientist' single because "I ran Away" is one of the best songs they have and you can't find it on any other album.

I have seen them live twice and it was a great show both times. Infact the last toronto show they played is getting released onto DVD. I was there! ***Famous*** :D
    Cock Fight.
  • You know why you are gay? Because you listen to Coldplay.
    Sorry, I couldn’t resist.
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    great band
    all the elements
    or instruments

i have one problem
    the damn blue room ep is out of print
    overexpensed

always one problem
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I find it impossible not to like them to be honest. I dont make a point of listening to them but i think they are ok! They get quite a lot of criticism for being a bit too cheesy and stuff but i think he writes really nice songs.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    dharma69 wrote:

i agree with this. i used to really like them. then one day i was sitting there listening and just kinda went "why am i listening to this?" they are pretty boring and most of their songs sound pretty identical. not that they're bad or anything. im just never really enthused about listening to a coldplay cd.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    luxpjamer wrote:
    No they aren't really. they aren't boring at all listen to their lyrics and you'll understand. And I think that they make superb melodies.

The lyrics don't make up for the overall blandness of the music. My gf is a fan so I've heard enough Coldplay to have an informed opinion, and in my opinion they are nothing to write home about.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    coldplay it´s a good band, personally i prefer parachutes and rush of b.... than latest radiohead albums who are creative and innovators albums, but i don´t like them´...

and talkin´ about popular, pj was huge popular ´´91 to 95´´, led zeppelin,the beatles, pink floyd are and have been popular too....
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I've been a fan of U2 and REM since jr high (25 years ago) and when I hear Coldplay compared to them I shudder. As others have said, the music is dull all the same and for me really annoying. It is just the same over and over; it doesn't go anywhere. But others like them so enjoy.:)
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Soupy wrote:
    Dull, Dull, Dull and just Dull.

They are to Radiohead what Nickelback are to Pearl Jam.
    Why are Coldplay and Radiohead being compared? Different planets as far as I can see. It's like comparing Robert Plant and Whitney Houston.

Oh, I prefer Coldplay.
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    newer the album the worse they get

parachutes was a very nice album though

This is true. They're all OK except for the latest, which is horrible.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison