Bruce Springsteen's The Rising

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Anyone else in love with the record. Years after its release its power still resonates. It conveys loss, anger, fury, powerlessness so well.

The idea that some guy see's Bruce out driving and yells "Bruce we need you" and bruce writes an album because of this and in response to 9/11. Pretty crazy stuff

Although I think Bruce's public comments after 9/11, that he wanted revenge, and supported the war in afghanistan were really sad and wrong, after all this is a guy who has supported left wing causes his whole life and has supported the little guy all his life, who the hell did he think would get the brunt of the bombs and gunfire? Civilians thats who

Anyways despite this the album is very nonpolitical. The song with the arabic sounding music, and the plea to come together and work together I think shows he ultimately felt that we shouldnt attack muslims and arabs, and that divisive politics doesnt work.

Powerful album. The song "missing" is unbelieveably sad. "there's tears on the pillow darling where you slept but your'e missing"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• basically the album isnt an album of revenge or vengence, but one of redemption and coping with terrible loss.

The album can now be listened to again, and one can not only think of the 3,000 Americans dead in NY and Pennsylvania

But also the 3,000 dead in Iraq.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Its a beautiful album. I'm a long long long term Bruce fan, and I do like The Rising. Worlds Apart has special meaning to me. Maybe I'll pull out the album and play it today.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I love "The Rising", quite possibly my favorite Bruce record. You are right though, "You're Missing" is beyond beautiful and have some some the best lyrics I have ever heard.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    great but flawed album. too many sha-la-las and some of the songs to me just don't cut it: mary's place, into the fire, let's be friends.

but when it's good.. man. maybe I need to dust it off as well...

better than The River (don't even tell me it's not).
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Besides the greatest hits, the only Bruce album I own. Powerful and beautiful.
  • Otis64Otis64 Posts: 41
    A lot of people needed something to turn to after that horrible event. Bruce provided the perfect recipe for healing or at least an escape with that album.

This album will probably never get the full credit it deserves, and that is sad but it is an amazing album and helped a lot of us through the difficult post-9/11 period.
    It's Gonna Be A Long Walk Home
  • "Paradise" is also a powerful, well-written song. Probably my favorite on that CD, which, along with the Greatest Hits, are the only Bruce albums I have...
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Anyone else in love with the record. Years after its release its power still resonates. It conveys loss, anger, fury, powerlessness so well.

The idea that some guy see's Bruce out driving and yells "Bruce we need you" and bruce writes an album because of this and in response to 9/11. Pretty crazy stuff

Although I think Bruce's public comments after 9/11, that he wanted revenge, and supported the war in afghanistan were really sad and wrong, after all this is a guy who has supported left wing causes his whole life and has supported the little guy all his life, who the hell did he think would get the brunt of the bombs and gunfire? Civilians thats who

Anyways despite this the album is very nonpolitical. The song with the arabic sounding music, and the plea to come together and work together I think shows he ultimately felt that we shouldnt attack muslims and arabs, and that divisive politics doesnt work.

Powerful album. The song "missing" is unbelieveably sad. "there's tears on the pillow darling where you slept but your'e missing"
    I'm not a huge Springsteen fan, I just appreciate the artist that he is....

But I made it my business to get "The Rising" after hearing the title track. And then the rest of the album kicked in appropriately.

It's brilliantly beautiful. "Into The fire" leaves me undone and "You're Missing" is so mournful but the album is just beautiful.

Yet among the thoughtful tunes like that he manages the feel good of "Let's Be Friends" and the straight up party on "Mary's Place". Good stuff, indeed.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Anyone else in love with the record. Years after its release its power still resonates. It conveys loss, anger, fury, powerlessness so well.

i don't understand your adversity to the war in afghanistan, unless it's just the way that we've neglected that nation in the years since. the war itself was justified, at least IMO and that of other people (apparently including springsteen)

but anyhow, not to detract from the topic. i've never listened to the record, as i've never been a big springsteen fan, but i remember how HUGE it was when it was released... seems like any website was trying to basically give it to anyone interested. amazon.com sold it at like 5.99 or 7.99 for months and months! now that i listen to a bit of his stuff i should check it out. i was always wary of it, because i didn't want a sentimental reaction to 9/11 record... i was afraid of the blind patriotism of people like toby keith and that awful foray of paul mccartney into said territory ("freedom"). i should check it out.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i was always wary of it, because i didn't want a sentimental reaction to 9/11 record... i was afraid of the blind patriotism of people like toby keith and that awful foray of paul mccartney into said territory ("freedom"). i should check it out.

It's not like that at all. It's spiritual and uplifting. Give it a listen and get back to us.;):)
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Its no secret that I am one of the the biggest Springsteen fans . I enjoy opening up other people to the music that might not otherwise .

They had this guy on the Today Show at Convention Hall when Bruce premiered The Rising live with the E Street band . He talked about this story , which happened near the NJ Shore . I slept on the beach in Asbury that night to get on the railing outside of Convention Hall .

Some of the material on this album was written a while back, way before the release of this CD . Lets not forget about geography as many many people from Bruces community ( or surrounding communities ) were affected directly or indirectly of the tradgedies that occured on 9-11-01.
    As previosuly mentioned in this space it is about loss, coping with loss , devastation of life , heroism and healing .
    I agree as to the powerfulness of the songs. My City Of Ruins , Into The Fire , even Empty Sky ( for obvious reasons ) all provoke emotions and goosebumps every time I hear them .
    Many of these songs dont have the full feeling that the live show performances do ( did ) but that is always the case with The Boss. :D

Bruce appeared at The Grammys that year.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0PEFB06sUio
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I didn't really get into this album as much as his other stuff initially but lately it's been the record that I turn to when I want a bruce fix the thing that strikes me musically about this record is the way that Brenden O'Brian miced the drums, they sound huge. And yes it is way better than the River, probably his 4th best album IMO, after the obvious ones (Born to Run, Darkness and Nebraska)
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    i don't understand your adversity to the war in afghanistan, unless it's just the way that we've neglected that nation in the years since. the war itself was justified, at least IMO and that of other people (apparently including springsteen)

but anyhow, not to detract from the topic. i've never listened to the record, as i've never been a big springsteen fan, but i remember how HUGE it was when it was released... seems like any website was trying to basically give it to anyone interested. amazon.com sold it at like 5.99 or 7.99 for months and months! now that i listen to a bit of his stuff i should check it out. i was always wary of it, because i didn't want a sentimental reaction to 9/11 record... i was afraid of the blind patriotism of people like toby keith and that awful foray of paul mccartney into said territory ("freedom"). i should check it out.
    You really should get it (this coming from a not-so-big-Springsteen fan). It has not a touch of the Toby Keith-iness or blind patriotism. It's just a well done, soulful, thoughtful record. Very reconciling and uplifting like Cutback said.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    I was never really into Bruce untill I saw him play The Rising on MTV back in 02. Then I bought the album and I was hooked. That's a great album. Empty Sky and Into The Fire are my favorite songs. I hope he does another album with the E Street Band soon.

Sometimes The Truth Just Ain't Enough
    Or It's Too Much In Times Like These
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • the rising was a f'n great cd...imo, his best since darkness of the edge or the river

can't say much for that selfserving wanking seeger cd, though...

here's hoping this last estreet tour will top the rising/reunion tour, musically speaking.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    maybe my favourite album of the Boss, every song seems so strong.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477

i found the song the rising as very cliche but i am sure it is a great album (having not heard the rest)
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken