Political and Socially Aware Hip Hop

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Although these crews mysogyny is reprehensible and wrong, crews like NWA, Geto Boys, dr Dre, .Mobb Deep, Notorious BIG and Tupac, they were making records laced with chilling insights into inner city life. That is missing in modern day hip hop. I mean come on, joints like Shook Ones Part 2, or Mind Playin Tricks on Me, are powerful portrayals of the effects of urban life on youngsters.

Anyone know of anyone out there telling the truth about the situation in the projects? Or is everything about women, money, courvassier, and rims?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Take this album for a spin...

Mr. Lif - I Phantom

and take this song for a spin...

Murs - Walk Like A Man
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Jurassic 5 does, a lot of their songs are about not seeking fame and things like that.

The Blackalicious song "Deception" is an amazing song, tells the story of a rapper who started out good, got big and changed everything about himself, then he fell off. Find that song, great song and the story it tells is really good as well.

Listen to The Roots album "Game Theory" released last year, one of the most politically influenced rap albums I've ever heard. I'm sure it doesn't stand up to say an NWA or Public Enemy album, but it is far more 'scially aware' than most rap albums I have heard.
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    K'Naan... he is an African who's teenage years were spent in New York and he writes about real issues, especially about Africa.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    The Perceptionists do a lot of really cool, really insightful stuff.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Check out Rick Ross. He's from "the wrong side of the tracks" in Miami. Interesting lyrics and good beats.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • The Roots
    Mos Def
    J5
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    check out

Company Flow (EL-P)
    Common
    Talib Kweli
    Mos Def

to name a few
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    moho wrote:
    K'Naan... he is an African who's teenage years were spent in New York and he writes about real issues, especially about Africa.

I think you mean Akon brother.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.