Elton John

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Anyone a fan?

Dont know much about his music, was watching Almost Famous for the umpteenth time tonight and was struck by how absolutely perfect Tiny Dancer, and that other song of his were.

Is his music any good?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I hate him, his music has tortured my ears for my entire life, he can write some good lyrics well at least with the help of Bernie Taupin anyway, but his music for the most part gets on my tits, his personality does my head in, everything about him gets on my nerves, his voice is annoying and that christmas song he released makes me want to murder someone.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Of course his music is good. May not be your taste however if you like Tiny Dancer, and I agree an absolutely perfect pop song, not sure how you wouldn't like plenty of others.

he is an artist that I am comfortable with having just his Greatest Hits releases however. (I don't know if he put out anything past his Greatest Hits III release and even the III is only worth a damn because of Empty Garden)

There is no question I am missing out on songs I would love that aren't on any of those however I can live with it.
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Captain Fantastic, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Greatest Hits Vol1 and Greatest hits Vol 2, and you'll be set.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I grew up listening to Elton and consider myself a pretty big fan. However, my interest is limited to his early 70's output, though his last three albums have been good (Songs from the West Coast), really good (Peachtree Road) and damn near great (The Captain and The Kid). You could simply get his first Greatest Hits cd, but then again, Tiny Dancer is not on it. However, I believe that he just released a 2-disc greatest hits package, probably w/ Tiny Dancer. I would highly recommend "classic" Elton by suggesting the following albums (in the order of what I happen to like the best):

Madman Across the Water - the album that opens with Tiny Dancer. Almost every song on this album is equal to Tiny Dancer, or even better (Levon, the title track, imo). My favorite album of all time, but mainly for nostalgic reasons...

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - arguably his best-known album (and possibly his best), full of classics, should-be classics, and a couple of duds (Your Sister Can't Twist, Jamaica Jerk Off). But, overall, this is a fantastic album. I mean, seriously, how can you argue with the following songs: Funeral for a Friend (Love Lies Bleeding), Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, This Song Has No Title, I've Seen That Movie Too, Social Disease, Roy Rogers, Harmony. Excellent, excellent album.

Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player - Another classic album, with only a couple of minor slips (which I still like, however - Texas Love Song, I'm Gonna Be a Teenage Idol)

Honky Chateau - Solid, country-tinged album with Rocket Man and Honky Cat. Susie (Dramas) is the most 'hard-rock' Elton song. Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters is a grossly under-appreciated gem

Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy - Classic 'concept' album about Elton and Bernie Taupin's rise to fame. This gets better with repeated listens, but may take some time to get into. Curtains is one of my favorite Elton tunes.

If I just had those 5 albums, I would be content with my Elton collection. These are before the campy/pseudo-glam/over-the-top years and really highlight his talent as a pianist, singer, and composer. There are a few albums that I appreciate, but are not necessarily 'classic' and definitely not for the casual fan who only likes a few of his songs:

Tumbleweed Connection - hit or miss 3rd album, you can tell that Elton's been listening to The Band. Amoreena, Come Down in Time, and the alt. version of Madman Across the Water are the best here.

Caribou - a weird cd tucked in between Yellow Brick Road and Capt. Fantastic. Best tracks are Pinky, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, and Ticking (I really don't like The Bitch is Back at all). I think that this album was done quickly to meet the record company's demands for a follow-up to Yellow Brick Road.

The 3 newest albums are pretty good, with The Captain and The Kid being the best of the bunch.

That's pretty much it for what I would recommend...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, strange to think Elton was still in the closet when he released an album with this title.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, strange to think Elton was still in the closet when he released an album with this title.

You should have seen the working title. ;)
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    wcsmith wrote:
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player
    Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
    Caribou
    have these four on vinyl, they were passed down. Had a listen once and it didn't do much for me, apart from the Sacrifice album which is okay his music irritates the fuck outta me.
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    I have his greatest hits (1970-2002) and it's all I need. He's done some really great songs.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    mbangel10 wrote:
    I have his greatest hits (1970-2002) and it's all I need. He's done some really great songs.
    That's about all I need too...
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, strange to think Elton was still in the closet when he released an album with this title.

Yeah...definitely true...especially the lyric in the title track: "And little dirt cowboys turn brown in their saddles. Sweet chocolate biscuits..."

And to think that Bernie wrote those lyrics...I'm guessing that he knew about Elton's proclivities...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"