Isaac Brock

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Seems like an interesting character. Anyone have an opinion about the rape he was accused of a few years back. I remember reading that the indie world/indie press turned against him and shunned him because of it.

Obviously he wasnt ever arrested, or put in jail, but what became of the case?

Also, I remember writing a thread about this in the past, but wanted to tie this in. When Modest came out with "good news" indie press was all over them for selling out. I never unerstood that. Listening to that record, and especially the song that sort of was the "posterchild" of them selling out was "float on". Depite the fact it did very well, I dont know how high it placed on the charts, but its not a typical top 40 song. Its structure is odd, and it always reminded me of a sea shanty in terms of its chanting in parts. Very wierd song. I dont think thats selling out, its experimenting.

Also in terms of the album Good News, it doesnt strike me as an album thats meant to appeal to teenyboppers. Although in my mind I always tie in Death Cab and Modest Mouse together, they are both very different bands with different audiences. Yet both are talented bands.

To me, selling out means making music not for the art or for social/political purposes, and not to experimental musically/sonically, but instead selling out means making music that is watered down, is non experimental, music that is aimed at getting spots on TRL, and music that instead of being for the art, is about the love of money. Modest Mouse seems to be about art and making statements about the world.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• - I never even heard about the rape charges but I assume they're bullshit. Especially because I've been a huge fan of MM for years and have never even heard of them..

- They were called sell outs for "Good News" because some indie snobs can't accept that a really catchy song can get radio play. Those fucks need to grow up - that was a really good record (though not as good as "Moon and Antartica" or "We Were Dead...")

- Death Cab pales in comparison to Brock's genious.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i didn't know anything about a rape either. but i do love the new record, and it is better imo than the last. no one really knows these musicians...
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    yeah i remember that rape story from around 2000 when Moon & A came out.. I never really followed it.. I do know the newest album is great.. a lot better than "Good News"..
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • good points, but do you think in general the public tied in modest mouse and death cab together. It seemed like they were always talked about in the same article or sentence as representing indie bands hitting it big in mainstream music or whatever. We all know Death cab was popular in terms of mainstream success in large part to the fact they were promoted heavily on the O.C. but didnt Issac and the crew appear in person on O.C. or am I thinking of another band?
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    apparently it was just an overzealous groupie that wound up taking back all of her accusations.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • the rape thing was bullshit, which is why no one ever mentions it anymore.

As far as the "selling out" thing...that's an argument/debate that will never be settled no matter who we're discussing. Some people get their panties in a bunch when a band becomes popular and gets radio play...I'm not sure why. The only thing that matters to me is that the music is still good. Sure, I've become annoyed when at a Modest Mouse or Shins show the 14 year old teenybopper is yelling for Float On or New Slang...but maybe, just maybe that teenybopper will stick around and hear Cowboy Dan or Dramamine and think "holy shit, this is amazing"...then perhaps "selling out" was worth it.

Isaac is an interesting character, really fucked up sense of humor...live I'm never sure if he's pissed off or joking...or both. All I know is he's one of the most creative lyricists today, and his song structures are fucking incredible (well, not so much on Good News -- although I still love the album).

Did Modest Mouse "sell out"? I guess so. Do I give a shit? Nope. Am I glad Modest Mouse is making money for creating amazing music...hell yes, and why should anyone not want them to make bank? Being a musician is a career path...people don't hate athletes who sign million-dollar deals after a few years of performing well at league minimum...and if a musician performs well they should be rewarded. There is a fine line of course, between making good music and making "money" music. Float On made them a ton of money but it's still a great song...so why get uppity about it?

Here's how Isaac stated it:

Was licensing your songs to commercials a tough decision?

IB: Figuring out ways to pay the rent isn't really a tough decision. Around the time we did the beer commercial and the shoe commercial, I thought, "Am I compromising my music by doing this?" And I think not. I like keeping the lights on in my house. People who don't have to make their living playing music can bitch about my principles while they spend their parents' money or wash dishes for some asshole. Principles are something that people are a lot better at checking in other people than keeping their own. My rationale behind the beer commercial was, "I like drinking MGD! I like beer probably more than I should, probably more than is healthy." I was hoping I could get a lifetime supply out of the deal, but I guess I'll have to buy it with that big ol' check.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV