70's music

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited July 2008 in Other Music
My thread on Elton John got me thinking, I am in a 70's state of mind. What are some essential Cd's that would be included on such a list...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE.
    its a must for any generation.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    BinFrog wrote:
    I've been listening to this for the last couple of days. It is so good. I love the riff in A Passage to Bangkok.
  • It was released on the day I was born:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m9XLGhEu3U
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Vol 4, Master of Reality, Sabotage, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Technical Ecstasy.
    Pronounced leh nerd skin nerd.
    Aladdin Sane, Hunky Dory, Spiders From Mars, Man Who Sold The World.

Just a few cant be arsed to go on.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    harvest - neil young.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Whats Goin on - Marvin Gaye, been listening to this a lot this year.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Dylan - Blood on the Tracks, Desire
  • illfatedillfated Posts: 65
    AC/DC's Let There Be Rock and Powerage
    The Clash's first 3 albums were pretty good.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - 1971
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    Led Zeppelin II and IV, Exile on Main St., Dark Side of the Moon, Madman Across the Water, Red (King Crimson), Selling England By the Pound, Hotel California, Blood on the Tracks, Tonight's The Night, Born to Run, Late for the Sky, Paranoid, Aja, that's all I can think of at the moment...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    wcsmith wrote:
    Late for the Sky
    Good call. Fountain of Sorrow and the title track are two of the best songs of the seventies.

Can never hear Late for the Sky without thinking of Taxi Driver...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    illfated wrote:
    AC/DC's Let There Be Rock and Powerage

Amen brother :)
    Also, Live and Dangerous Thin Lizzy. Led Zeppelin I, II, III and IV.
    Neil Young, On the Beach.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
    jamie uk wrote:
    Amen brother :)
    Also, Live and Dangerous Thin Lizzy. Led Zeppelin I, II, III and IV.
    Neil Young, On the Beach.

Led Zeppelin I and II were both released in '69.:)
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    We're talking '69 and '70 here, but I recommend Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe by The Flying Burrito Brothers. Gram Parsons' solo albums (also early '70's) are very good as well.
  • Led Zeppelin I and II were both released in '69.:)

And Led Zep I was recorded in October 1968! :)
  • Now, fellas and fellamelasses, get your ears around this:

http://www.last.fm/music/John+Martyn/Solid+Air

The album is a masterpiece.
    Led Zeppelin I and II were both released in '69.:)

I know that, you think I'm a bit of a dumfus or what? But I would generally associate the band with the 70's therefore I mentioned it...
    Sheesh, this place :rolleyes:
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    Yeah...Led Zep I and II were released in 69 but they are albums that are pretty much associated with the 70's. By way of comparison, London Calling was released in 79 and is not an album that most associate with the 70's. Rolling Stone even named the album the best of the 80's.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    the cat stevens one-two punch of

'tea for the tillerman'

&

'teaser & the firecat'

+ fleetwood mac's self-titled & rumours
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    harvest - neil young.
    Well this album just isn't essential 70's music, it's essential all the time.:)
    jamie uk wrote:
    I know that, you think I'm a bit of a dumfus or what? But I would generally associate the band with the 70's therefore I mentioned it...

haha, 1969 is the 60's wether you like it or not, it's like saying The Stone Roses debut come out in the 90's, LIES LIES LIES it was '89 the 80's.
    Yes I'm anal like that.
    haha, 1969 is the 60's wether you like it or not, it's like saying The Stone Roses debut come out in the 90's, LIES LIES LIES it was '89 the 80's.
    Yes I'm anal like that.

:rolleyes:...you said anal :p
    Yeah, but surely the Zepp albums are mostly associated with the 70's? They sold more during the 70's, and were very popular in the 70's, and are...like it or not, the defining sound of 70's rock.
    What are we, music lovers or statos? :p

Just like your example of the Stone Roses, their bedut may well have come out at the end of the 80's, but they are definable as a 90's band.
    Bowie put out records as the 60's ended, and indeed during every decade since, but I for one would associate him mostly with the 70's, I guess it's when he had his biggest influence.
    anyway, I'm trying to eat my dinner here ;)
    jamie uk wrote:
    :rolleyes:...you said anal :p
    Yeah, but surely the Zepp albums are mostly associated with the 70's? They sold more during the 70's, and were very popular in the 70's, and are...like it or not, the defining sound of 70's rock.
    What are we, music lovers or statos? :p

Just like your example of the Stone Roses, their bedut may well have come out at the end of the 80's, but they are definable as a 90's band.
    Bowie put out records as the 60's ended, and indeed during every decade since, but I for one would associate him mostly with the 70's, I guess it's when he had his biggest influence.
    anyway, I'm trying to eat my dinner here ;)
    I dunno Jamie, I'd define the Stone Roses as an 80s band because their 90s material was shite :p
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I dunno Jamie, I'd define the Stone Roses as an 80s band because their 90s material was shite :p

Sorry man, don't agree..............I suppose Nirvana are 80's band too? :)

Hey, come to think of it, the Stone Roses only made 2 records didn't they? either side of the 80's/90's border ?
    I thought the second was very under rated, but that's just my opinion.
  • jamie uk wrote:

Know the feeling mate. I was gonna suggest Jefferson Airplane but as they were predominantly late 60's, I figured people would be over me like a rash, no matter how much they're associated with 70's psychedelia and how popular their music was in both decades.

So i'm suggesting T.Rex, Elton John and Black Sabbath... nice and safe :rolleyes:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    Know the feeling mate. I was gonna suggest Jefferson Airplane but as they were predominantly late 60's, I figured people would be over me like a rash, no matter how much they're associated with 70's psychedelia and how popular their music was in both decades.

So i'm suggesting T.Rex, Elton John and Black Sabbath... nice and safe :rolleyes:

OOOh, Sian be careful. You know Black Sabbath formed, and even recorded their debut before the turn of the decade..........please do your research....the 1st album was released on Feb 13th 1970....although they had released a single the previous autumn which in fact means.............DA.DA.DAAAAAAA................
    ;)
  • jamie uk wrote:
    OOOh, Sian be careful. You know Black Sabbath formed, and even recorded their debut before the turn of the decade..........please do your research....the 1st album was released on Feb 13th 1970....although they had released a single the previous autumn which in fact means.............DA.DA.DAAAAAAA................
    ;)

*cough anal bullshit cough*

:p

Ohhhhh how could I forget!?

Jethro Tull!!! :D

oh wait, hang on.... they formed in '63, didn't release their first album til '68 but had 10 albums (including the amazing Aqualung and Minstrel in the Gallery) in the '70's... does that count? :confused:

;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.