Options

negativity surrounding bonnaroo

scot88scot88 Posts: 217
edited February 2008 in The Porch
how much of the negativity surrounding bonnaroo is from people that have no means of getting there?

to be honest, i complained like hell when they played lolla last year, but that's only because i had no way of going. now that i can go to bonnaroo, my attitude has changed completely.

so all you haters out there, fess up.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i think its more about having the means... but prefering to spend those means on individual PJ shows this year instead of roo... we just dont know if those shows are gonna happen yet... not to mention the roo lineup is not particularly great... if i was in TN already i could probably justify it... but i dont wanna make the trip for something im not in 100%
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    scot88 wrote:
    how much of the negativity surrounding bonnaroo is from people that have no means of getting there?

to be honest, i complained like hell when they played lolla last year, but that's only because i had no way of going. now that i can go to bonnaroo, my attitude has changed completely.

it's not about not having the means... I'm haven't bitched actually.
    Up until yesterday I was going until they announced the line up and there was nothing to my liking other than Pearl Jam and MMJ, and MMJ doesnt pull me that much as to spend $700-$800+ for 4 days without taking a shower in the heat.... neither does PJ, in my case I can afford it, I just can't justify spending money like that to go virtually just to see PJ... all the other bands except for Jack Johndon and MMJ I wouldnt buy a ticket for even if they were playing in my town...

In my case I prefer to save my means in case they have 1 or 2 other shows later on... :)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i think its more about having the means... but prefering to spend those means on individual PJ shows this year instead of lolla... we just dont know if those shows are gonna happen yet... not to mention the lolla lineup is not particularly great... if i was in TN already i could probably justify it... but i dont wanna make the trip for something im not in 100%

you read my mind as I was typing my response... (thought you meant Bonnaroo not Lolla ;))
  • Options
    it's not about not having the means... I'm haven't bitched actually.
    Up until yesterday I was going until they announced the line up and there was nothing to my liking other than Pearl Jam and MMJ, and MMJ doesnt pull me that much as to spend $700-$800+ for 4 days without taking a shower in the heat.... neither does PJ, in my case I can afford it, I just can't justify spending money like that to go virtually just to see PJ... all the other bands except for Jack Johndon and MMJ I wouldnt buy a ticket for even if they were playing in my town...

In my case I prefer to save my means in case they have 1 or 2 other shows later on... :)
    good point....

i wouldnt pay to see any of those bands either.....

even if they were playing in my living room............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    you read my mind as I was typing my response... (thought you meant Bonnaroo not Lolla ;))
    oops... fixed it... guess i just have lolla on my mind since ive already nixed the roo idea

• Options
    good point....

i wouldnt pay to see any of those bands either.....

even if they were playing in my living room............
    have you two tried listening to sigur ros? its like an ambient, icelandic radiohead... not sure if thatd be your thing... but theyre really incredible! give em a chance if you havent yet!

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    have you two tried listening to sigur ros? its like an ambient, icelandic radiohead... not sure if thatd be your thing... but theyre really incredible! give em a chance if you havent yet!
    ambient,icelandic radiohead?????

radiohead blows.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    The negativity is mostly coming from people who have never been to Bonnaroo and have no idea what the hell they are talking about but are talking anyway.
  • Options
    Bonnaroo is a great chance for you to expand your horizons. I am simply stunned by how close minded some PJ fans are behaving.
    The reason the main stream is thought of as a stream is because it's so shallow. -George Carlin-
  • Options
    scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    well i guess it makes sense if you don't like the lineup.

do to some pretty fucked up circumstances, i have yet to see pj live, and i dont want to bank on them playing other shows. plus, i love the allman bros (warren haynes is a hero of mine). and i LOVE the robert plant/allison krauss combo. i'd pay whatever bonnaroo is going to cost me just to see those 3.

different strokes i guess
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

well dont get me wrong, some of those bands I've listened to before and I would probably have a few tunes on my iPod but don't think I would spend money on a tkt for anyone on that line up except for Jack Johnson, MMJ and Pearl Jam... and I LOVE PJ but that kinda money in that kinda setting is not for me right now.... but I have nothing negative to say about the Festival, the price of the tickets the bands that are playing (except that metallica sucks IMO) and I hope everyone that goes has a BLAST! my best friend is calling me from the show and picking up any PJ merch there is so I'll be a happy camper at home :D
  • Options
    Bonnaroo is a great chance for you to expand your horizons. I am simply stunned by how close minded some PJ fans are behaving.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with calling people close minded because they dont want to camp for 4 days and pay more than $500 to go see bands that are not appealing to them.... maybe if the festival was in my town but since it isn't I'm not going and I dont necessarily consider myself close minded...
  • Options
    well dont get me wrong, some of those bands I've listened to before and I would probably have a few tunes on my iPod but don't think I would spend money on a tkt for anyone on that line up except for Jack Johnson, MMJ and Pearl Jam... and I LOVE PJ but that kinda money in that kinda setting is not for me right now.... but I have nothing negative to say about the Festival, the price of the tickets the bands that are playing (except that metallica sucks IMO) and I hope everyone that goes has a BLAST! my best friend is calling me from the show and picking up any PJ merch there is so I'll be a happy camper at home :D
    oooo good call! i better arrange my PJ merch connection ASAP too! :D

• Options
    scot88 wrote:

different strokes i guess

DING DING DING!!! You are the winner my friend ;):D
  • Options
    I like traveling to see Pearl Jam. But I don't like festivals nor do I have any desire whatsoever to visit Tennessee (no offense).

I'm hoping they announce more dates. I'd love to visit Portland or Seattle again. The Gorge was well worth making a trip for.
    Are you a screenwriter?
    www.screenplaymechanic.com
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    scot88 wrote:

I'm not complaining. I could make the show if I wanted to, but I'm going to pass on this one. The idea of camping out 4 days in the middle of the summer with thousands of other people doesn't appeal to me.

For those who go, it should be a great time, but at this time and place it's not my cup of tea.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    To all worthless complainers, please don't go.

This will make way for me and my friends at the beer stand, and more importantly, it will quicken the lines to piss said beer out.

Willie Nelson, BB King, MMJ, Robert Plant (screams guest appearance) Derek Trucks (have you even listened to this guy).

Not to mention that all acts haven't been announced.

If you can't afford it financially, I understand; I've been there.

But if your complaint is lineup, stay home, donkey!
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i could go if i wanted to. i have enough miles/vouchers to pay for the flight. just in case, i had already booked a hotel 20 miles away at an employee rate of $39 per night.

i had an open mind going into the announcement. there just aren't enough bands that i like to justify going.

i am going to guess that most of the negativity surrounding bonnaroo is that we, as pearl jam fans, feel like we are being forced into believing that this is our only chance to see them.

ten club has a way of screwing with its members with lack of information. i live in seattle. i can totally imagine someone from here spending a LOT of money on travel arrangements/tickets for bonnaroo, only to have an announcement of a couple of gorge shows weeks later. all i want is a snippet of information. like "pearl jam is planning on playing a limited number of u.s. shows this year". that way if you hate festivals (like i do), you have options.

if you have never seen them, or are dieing for a show, hey, that's your choice. hate to say it, but with a show count past 50, i am more inclined to be selective about where i see them.
  • Options
    echolalia wrote:

So just because you say it then I guess everyone should be jumping on one foot due to the outstanding line up right?

Ever considered not everyone has the same musical taste? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mensane wrote:

i had an open mind going into the announcement. there just isn't enough bands that i like to justify going.

.....if you have never seen them, or are dieing for a show, hey, that's your choice. hate to say it, but with a show count past 50, i am more inclined to be selective about where i see them.

This is exactly how many of us feel... :) though my show count only goes to 46 :p
  • Options
    echolalia wrote:
    To all worthless complainers, please don't go.

This will make way for me and my friends at the beer stand, and more importantly, it will quicken the lines to piss said beer out.

Willie Nelson, BB King, MMJ, Robert Plant (screams guest appearance) Derek Trucks (have you even listened to this guy).

Not to mention that all acts haven't been announced.

If you can't afford it financially, I understand; I've been there.

It's funny, I love using the word donkey too. So here goes... You're a fucking DONKEY!!
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    Not hating here... but my income bracket makes it "not worth it". Hoping for a "value" gig or two on the west coast later in the year :)
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    Isnt the purpose of a music and arts festival to introduce you to that which you normally would not check out voluntarily? There will be things, other than music, to check out when a band is playing which you may not like. I wish the negativity would cease. If more shows are announced, more shows are announced and all will be happy.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    Isnt the purpose of a music and arts festival to introduce you to that which you normally would not check out voluntarily? There will be things, other than music, to check out when a band is playing which you may not like. I wish the negativity would cease. If more shows are announced, more shows are announced and all will be happy.

if it was in my town maybe I would... can't justify making the trip to go see if maybe I like those bands... I dont think that's negativity, I have nothing bad to say about the festival the price of the tickets or the people going.. I'm just saying I'm sitting this one out...
  • Options
    Not hating here... but my income bracket makes it "not worth it". Hoping for a "value" gig or two on the west coast later in the year :)

I'd definately fly up there for a couple of shows :)
  • Options
    I just wanted to say, Mrs_Vedder, that i was referring to negativity in general. I did not mean to imply that YOU were being negative.

Just wanted to clear that up....
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options

Exactly! I always end up leaving Bonnaroo with at least 3 new favorite bands that I may never have even heard of.
  • Options
    seren327 wrote:
    Exactly! I always end up leaving Bonnaroo with at least 3 new favorite bands that I may never have even heard of.

Yeah but you live around the corner though (well kinda no?) if I was that close.. you betcha I'd be there for sure.. but after much thought not having to drive
    13 + hours there and back and still manage to be awake at work on Monday...
  • Options
    I just wanted to say, Mrs_Vedder, that i was referring to negativity in general. I did not mean to imply that YOU were being negative.

Just wanted to clear that up....

no worries... :)
    I just dont see that much negativity, maybe I'm comparing it with the last few board meltdowns.... i.e Ames book, the DC poster sale with no heads up, etc.. I guess I've seen worse bitchin' on here the last few months than the bitching due to this annoucement...and that might be why I don't sense that much negativity.
  • Options
    Yeah, it could be worse: They could be play NO shows all year.

Or ever again, for that matter.

This is at least a good sign, no?
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal