Another Fugazi?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Its amazing to me after 20 years they still are the only band I can think of that truely hasnt sold out. I cant think of another band like them in terms of their ideals and integrity. Sure their are good indie bands who remain true to their sound and ideals, but none to the extent Fugazi took it to,

Anyone think another band will pop up in the future who remain as FIERCELY indepedent as Fugazi? Why is it that they remain the only band out there that seems willing to sell tickets for 6 bucks, sell cd's from Dischord via mail postage prepaid for a little over 10 bucks, who refuse to play ANY shows at 18 or 21 and over venues, who refuse to sell ANY t-shirts or merchindise. I mean the extent to which they have maintained their integrity really is inspiring and jaw dropping. Also, seems to me, they played a HUGE number, or ununsually large number of benefit gigs, which I would guess they got paid little to no money for. They truely never sold out

Are Fugazi just a one in a million band, or does the future hold more bands willing to NEVER sell out, and NEVER give in to corporate crap.

I mean talk about integrity. Ian Mackaye has a record company that he owns yet doesnt make a salary from this status. Thats commitment people! He doesnt even have contracts for the bands on the label.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Capitalism is great.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    You define "selling-out" way too broadly.

Ian McKaye is a highly principled individual, but does that make Bruce Springsteen or Bono unprincipled because they sell T-shirts? Have you never wanted a concert memento? I admire Ian McKaye, but when Fugazi performs for a charity, can he bring in the kind of funds that the Red Hot Chili Peppers bring in when they volunteer to perform?

The fact of the matter is that Ian McKaye couldn't have mounted something like the Vote for Change tour on the strength of his personal reputation alone. The tour may have failed, but Bruce did succeed in raising awareness for a lot of people who previously didn't give a shit.

When Bono and Paul O'Neill toured Africa, it was Bono's star power, not Paul O'Neill's that brought money pouring into funds to improve the water situation in Africa.

Pearl Jam's fight with Ticketmaster is another case in point. They screwed themselves by trying to mount an alternative tour, and the Justice Department used the fact that they were in fact able to put together concerts without Ticketmaster as the basis for the dismissal of their suit. Still, the publicity generated was worthwhile, and if their profile hadn't been so high, would anyone have cared?

For every selfish rock star out there, there are others who give something back because they understand how fortunate they are. Should we condemn them because they make money and live comfortably?

Ian McKaye is one of kind, but that doesn't make everyone else a heartless corporate shill.