Arcade Fire and youth

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I know they have been getting alot of threads lately. But I am approaching this in a new way so its worth the new thread.

I feel they are really cool because I get the feeling I got when listening to Nirvana and pearl Jam back in the day, that this music was for the youth, the children, the new generation and was speaking about my life.

Alot of their songs seem to be about adults who are corrupting children, and the desire for those children to gain control and see the truth.

It seems like they could be considered the voice of the new generation partly because they arent aiming for that.

Wake up. Rebellion, Neighborhood 3 power out, all seem to be about children who are losing their innocence to adults who could give a damn about us.

I think its pretty cool when a band speaks out for the youth, and it seems like Arcade Fire does that.

Am I way off base here, or does anyone else feel like something is happening, that their could be a new movement afoot, and that this music is speaking about youth in a real way, and in a way most adults refuse to even consider
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i've never really gotten that feeling from them. granted, i can't usually make out their lyrics, so i dont' know necessarily what's being said, but i dont' feel that spark. just my 2 cents. you know more about them than me.
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    i am just amazed at their whole musical circuitry...~

<3<3<3

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• its just cool to see a band that in my mind seems to be the biggest band in the world, you have Coldplay's lead singer saying they are the greatest band in the history of the world. Pretty raving review.

Anyways, its cool that Win Butler seems to have his pulse so set on what it feels like to be a child at this moment in history. I cant think of too many bands out there who are willing to speak out like that. To talk about how scary it must be to be a youth at this moment.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Just saw them live - they are going to save the world just like the girl on HEREOS.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Puh-leez. Why would I (or anyone else) let Win Butler represent me as a person? How about I represent myself?

Nobody needs a rich rock star to represent them. Think of it this way: People looking back on this generation won't give a damn about what music a 2% fringe liked. They're going to remember this generation for our accomplishments... though we don't have too many yet.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I doubt most youth could give a rats ass about this band........they are busy listening to Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, 50 Cent, and Pussycat Dolls.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I know they have been getting alot of threads lately. But I am approaching this in a new way so its worth the new thread.

I feel they are really cool because I get the feeling I got when listening to Nirvana and pearl Jam back in the day, that this music was for the youth, the children, the new generation and was speaking about my life.

Alot of their songs seem to be about adults who are corrupting children, and the desire for those children to gain control and see the truth.

It seems like they could be considered the voice of the new generation partly because they arent aiming for that.

Wake up. Rebellion, Neighborhood 3 power out, all seem to be about children who are losing their innocence to adults who could give a damn about us.

I think its pretty cool when a band speaks out for the youth, and it seems like Arcade Fire does that.

Am I way off base here, or does anyone else feel like something is happening, that their could be a new movement afoot, and that this music is speaking about youth in a real way, and in a way most adults refuse to even consider
    Like PJ of "Ten", U2 of "The Joshus Tree",...other bands that hit a stride in a moment and, for whatever reason, are striking serious cords in people. Perhaps it's their novelty, perhaps their story, maybe their unconventional sound, maybe the frenzy of their performance but it's something to watch them "become"...especially as a band all of 2 albums old.

They are quite a movement unto themselves.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    I have tickets to see them in Portland this month. From what I hear, many people on this board readily admit, even though pearl Jam is mindblowing live, that arcade fire is the best live band on the planet right now. That says alot.

I have rarely read any reviews of concert attendees of arcade fire gigs that said anything like "oh they were alright", "oh they sucked", or "they were mediocre". All the reviews I have read from press and fans alike liken seeing arcade fire live, as some sort of spiritual revival and mindblowing second coming, life changing event. And thats the norm.

I cant really impress on people enough, this idea that I dont feel these guys are a flash in the pan band. I dont think in 2 years people will say "Arcade who?". I I get the feeling of a new musical movement.

The fact that they allow fans on stage, or that they regulary play a few songs in gig lobbys, or that they sometimes get down in the crowd and start playing, I think speaks to the fact that this band is something special.

I dont think this is a one trick pony. I think they are the saviours of rock. And the reviews of live gigs from fans speak for themselves
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Puh-leez. Why would I (or anyone else) let Win Butler represent me as a person? How about I represent myself?

Nobody needs a rich rock star to represent them. Think of it this way: People looking back on this generation won't give a damn about what music a 2% fringe liked. They're going to remember this generation for our accomplishments... though we don't have too many yet.

your right. But I admit, I felt Kurt and Eddie spoke to me and for me back in the day. Although I wish Ed was still the voice of a generation, its a weight or burden he rejected. I think Arcade Fire do seem to have lyrics beyond the mundane and silly lyrics that pass for todays rock music.

As a student of music, I find they fit the bill of the next saviors of rock to the t. Just as Lennon, Dylan, and Kurt and Eddie, The band is political and has a social conscience. Like the grunge bands, arcade fire, arent out to make a quick buck. Instead of playing HUGE stadiums, which they could easily sell out, they are playing wierd venues like that a church, the Judson church I think, in new york. And they are speaking to people at a time when we need to be comforted and lead.

Its fine to dislike Arcade Fire, thats your perogative, but do you really think people in 1989 or 1990 really felt like Mookie Blaylock and Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were speaking to anyone?
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    your right. But I admit, I felt Kurt and Eddie spoke to me and for me back in the day. Although I wish Ed was still the voice of a generation, its a weight or burden he rejected. I think Arcade Fire do seem to have lyrics beyond the mundane and silly lyrics that pass for todays rock music.

As a student of music, I find they fit the bill of the next saviors of rock to the t. Just as Lennon, Dylan, and Kurt and Eddie, The band is political and has a social conscience. Like the grunge bands, arcade fire, arent out to make a quick buck. Instead of playing HUGE stadiums, which they could easily sell out, they are playing wierd venues like that a church, the Judson church I think, in new york. And they are speaking to people at a time when we need to be comforted and lead.

Its fine to dislike Arcade Fire, thats your perogative, but do you really think people in 1989 or 1990 really felt like Mookie Blaylock and Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were speaking to anyone?

i like arcade fire as much as the next guy but to compare them to lennon and/or dylan, is, to me, just ludicrous. their music is not the calibre of lennon's or dylan's. they are not the "voice" of this generation. just a talented group of people making good music. there is a difference (although with the ever-increasing bunch of shit that calls itself music being produced daily, i can see how it'd be easy to give these guys more credit than they deserve). they are a good band, but nothing more or less.