Will the Indie Rock scene change the world?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited March 2007 in Other Music
I get this feeling right now that we are experiencing something special. The whole scene with Bloc Party, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Modest Mouse, Artic Monkeys, The Decemberists, it just seems like Indie rock is king of the world right now. It feels like a movement is underway. Feels like something is going on, a real movement hasnt really happened in music since Kurt's death in 94.

I get the feeling these bands really want to change the world and that they will use their power and popularity to touch off the revolution. I have high hopes.

Its just bizaare right now, even teenypoppers seem to know about these bands.

It was clear many of the main faces of the early 90's scene like Cornell, or Vedder, or Corgan all wanted to change the world, and wanted something good to come of that scene. Heres to hoping this generation does it better!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i agree , i also see a change in the wind. its pretty exciting actually because these bands are all my favorites and they are all selliing good recently.
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • yeah I agree. I think in general with the world climate, the wars, terrorism, and all that stuff, its hard being alive right now. Its a scary time. But the music that has come out lately really has been some of the best I can think of. All those bands are really in top form. Its nice to feel good and proud about music again.
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    all i gotta ask is....are you fucking kidding me?!?!?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    It was clear many of the main faces of the early 90's scene like Cornell, or Vedder, or Corgan all wanted to change the world, and wanted something good to come of that scene. Heres to hoping this generation does it better!

yeah, they did a bangup job of it too. so did the who. and the beatles. and ccr. REALLY made a huge difference. definitely revolution in the air...

i really want to know what universe you live in and how many drugs i have to take to get there cos it sounds like a really happy place where good always conquers evil in a comic book fashion via the power of music!
  • laugh all you want or whatever, but the lead singer of a band we all know and love said something similar about the music during the early 90's, watch the Hype movie. Ed seems to think music can change the world. Obviously, he does or why would he make political songs and play the VFC tour? Eddie said something like that he felt seattle in the 90's was getting all this attention and he felt that if nothing good came of it, if things didnt change, if a positive political and social experience didnt come of it, that would be a tragedy

Secondly, as I said in my post, Billy Corgan said something along the lines, that he felt, and others he knew felt that the alternative rock scene was going to change things, and going to change the world

So again, I dont really know why people are acting like I am really out there on this aspect of music. Call me a wierdo, but to many people, including Eddie and Billy Corgan the music scene of the 90's, one of its failed goals was to change the world or to start a revolution, however you want to put it. Ask Zack De La Rocha or Tom Morello or Chuck D, or Bono, or ask Joe Strummer (before he died of course), Ask Thom Yorke, or Bruce Springsteen, or Neil Young, or Ben Harper if they feel music can change the world
  • the response to this thread, save the first reply to it, shows the cynicism that currently rears its head in music. There was a time, and I talked about this in the Rage thread, there was a time when bands felt that could change the world through music. Now people seem to laugh at that idea. I dont know. To me, attend a Pearl Jam concert, and feel that energy, all those people in sync, all feeling together, all of one common goal. To me that shows music can change the world. Thousands of people gather for each pearl jam show or name any band, and yet people act like music cant change the world.
    look "che",

i'm not disputing that music can't change the world. i'm disputing that those bands you listed are not going to be a catalyst or ones for it to happen.
  • the response to this thread, save the first reply to it, shows the cynicism that currently rears its head in music. There was a time, and I talked about this in the Rage thread, there was a time when bands felt that could change the world through music. Now people seem to laugh at that idea. I dont know. To me, attend a Pearl Jam concert, and feel that energy, all those people in sync, all feeling together, all of one common goal. To me that shows music can change the world. Thousands of people gather for each pearl jam show or name any band, and yet people act like music cant change the world.

but like soulsinging said, when has this ever happened? it never really has. music reflects the times, it doesn't change them. there's no evidence or reason to believe that it ever will. having faith that it will is one thing, and simply being able to have faith in the power of music like that is admirable... but in reality, there's no reason to believe that it's going to happen. it's like believing that jesus is coming now or something. people have been saying it for like 1975 years, but it's yet to happen. i don't know really what i'm trying to say here. the idea that music is going to really provide the impetus for a big change in the world just seems so naive to me.
  • Twatay wrote:
    look "che",

i'm not disputing that music can't change the world. i'm disputing that those bands you listed are not going to be a catalyst or ones for it to happen.

I get it now. Do you have other bands you think will be the ones who change things? Or do you think that the bands are not yet formed yet, and will form in a few years?

And as far as music and changing society. Music has always been important in mass movements. The civil rights workers all sang "Blowin in the wind" during marches. Bob Marley was hugely important in the struggle for freedom in Jamaica, when the civilians rebelled in Jamaica, you can bet they were listening to some Bob Marley tunes.

I dont know to me its a no brainer. Have I been informed, radicalized, politicized and educated more by music than by professor and teachers, hell yes I have. My education was Tupac Shakur or Public enemyy talking about conditions for young black males, my education was Ani Difranco talking about feminist issues, my education was Bob Dylan's early songs talking about war and peace. I am who I am, because of political music. Its that simple. You could ask Tom Morello if anyone has ever come up to him and said "I became an activist because of your band", or "i read all those books on the liner notes for Evil Empire and now am an activist". I would bet many kids have said that to Tom.

Anyways, music to me, is a way to spread the message and to get the movement started. How many times have all of us started humming songs we hear on the radio or tv, songs we dont neccessarily like? I do this all the time. Just think of musics power. Now just imagine if you had a clash song stuck in your head or something.

Music gives me hope, and I hope that my assertion of this new era of music is correct. We need hope and some impetus for change. There is too much crap going on right now that is a real let down.
    Have I been informed, radicalized, politicized and educated more by music than by professor and teachers, hell yes I have. My education was Tupac Shakur or Public enemyy talking about conditions for young black males, my education was Ani Difranco talking about feminist issues, my education was Bob Dylan's early songs talking about war and peace. I am who I am, because of political music.

^^this frightens me.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I get this feeling right now that we are experiencing something special. The whole scene with Bloc Party, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Modest Mouse, Artic Monkeys, The Decemberists, it just seems like Indie rock is king of the world right now. It feels like a movement is underway. Feels like something is going on, a real movement hasnt really happened in music since Kurt's death in 94.

I get the feeling these bands really want to change the world and that they will use their power and popularity to touch off the revolution. I have high hopes.

Its just bizaare right now, even teenypoppers seem to know about these bands.

I think it will become a new trend in music. I wouldn't exactly call it a musical "movement" though, although that's not really a stretch. I think most of it is due to people wanting different things... no matter how much people like something, they will tire of it in time. I'm not a huge fan of "indie" music, but I appreciate it's artistic merits. So in my book, I would love for indie music to become more mainstream.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • this thread is funny. If bands wanted to change the world they would be activist, not capitalist whore pigs who charge 30-60 dollars a ticket. That's just the way it is.

Plus, these bands think of themselves as regular guys, and making/playing music is their job, regardless of what they decide to write about. Change happens, and its usually people putting the title of savior on a band. Dylan even said he was just a guy who could write, not a voice of a generation.

You want change, look at jam bands, they stay away form most of the stupidity, play festivals that are organized by people and not corporations, and prices are reasonable. 100-150 bucks for 3 days of music and 30ish bands is pretty resonable if you ask me. These guys dont need to sing baou thow much htey hate the president, its not a look or gimmick for them, they play, and they play on their own terms
    8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, 11/14/02(letterman), 4/30/03, 6/6/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 3/18/05, 9/2/05, 9/4/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/5/06, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/22/06, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 7/6/06
    TheHotRock wrote:
    Dylan even said he was just a guy who could write, not a voice of a generation.

Yeah, but if he said he was the voice of a generation, you'd think he was a pompous jackass.

That, along with the rest of your post, shows that you really don't know what to think. Jam bands playing "on their own terms?" Do you have to be a jam band to play on your own terms? You really need to work on making more convincing arguments.
    laugh all you want or whatever, but the lead singer of a band we all know and love said something similar about the music during the early 90's, watch the Hype movie. Ed seems to think music can change the world. Obviously, he does or why would he make political songs and play the VFC tour? Eddie said something like that he felt seattle in the 90's was getting all this attention and he felt that if nothing good came of it, if things didnt change, if a positive political and social experience didnt come of it, that would be a tragedy

Secondly, as I said in my post, Billy Corgan said something along the lines, that he felt, and others he knew felt that the alternative rock scene was going to change things, and going to change the world

So again, I dont really know why people are acting like I am really out there on this aspect of music. Call me a wierdo, but to many people, including Eddie and Billy Corgan the music scene of the 90's, one of its failed goals was to change the world or to start a revolution, however you want to put it. Ask Zack De La Rocha or Tom Morello or Chuck D, or Bono, or ask Joe Strummer (before he died of course), Ask Thom Yorke, or Bruce Springsteen, or Neil Young, or Ben Harper if they feel music can change the world

active word being "failed." who won the 2004 election after the vfc tour?
    active word being "failed." who won the 2004 election after the vfc tour?

That doesn't mean the VFC tour didn't help. Just because it didn't change the course of an election doesn't mean it didn't do anything.
  • DOSW wrote:
    Yeah, but if he said he was the voice of a generation, you'd think he was a pompous jackass.

That, along with the rest of your post, shows that you really don't know what to think. Jam bands playing "on their own terms?" Do you have to be a jam band to play on your own terms? You really need to work on making more convincing arguments.

I know, I should just think whatever Ed tells me to think.

PINKO
    8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, 11/14/02(letterman), 4/30/03, 6/6/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 3/18/05, 9/2/05, 9/4/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/5/06, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/22/06, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 7/6/06
    the response to this thread, save the first reply to it, shows the cynicism that currently rears its head in music. There was a time, and I talked about this in the Rage thread, there was a time when bands felt that could change the world through music. Now people seem to laugh at that idea. I dont know. To me, attend a Pearl Jam concert, and feel that energy, all those people in sync, all feeling together, all of one common goal. To me that shows music can change the world. Thousands of people gather for each pearl jam show or name any band, and yet people act like music cant change the world.

thousands are a speck of a sand on a beach compared to the number of people in this world. and those people synching at the pearl jam concert? half of them dont want to change cos they LIKE the status quo... you been to the moving train?

im not saying you're far out or nobody has ever thought this before, but everyone who has has been proven wrong.
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Che,

You are really an idealist. I think that music does tend to reflect the times rather than driving circumstances. Even in the 60's and 70's, music reflected the social currents of the time.

The problem with the idea of social change brought forth today by a wave of independent bands is that the songwriting is just not setting the foundation for that sort of thing. I'm not dissing any of these bands. It's just that the content of their songs is just not coming from the same place as THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGIN'. They are focusing on smaller personal issues rather than trying move a larger world. They aren't aspiring to be Bob Dylan or Pete Seeger. And that's okay.

The only thing close to a real movement that we've seen lately is the Vote for Change Tour, and who mounted that? Old crusty mainstream veteran, Bruce Springsteen, with a few younger people but mostly other crusty veterans like our good friends, Pearl Jam.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    laugh all you want or whatever, but the lead singer of a band we all know and love said something similar about the music during the early 90's, watch the Hype movie. Ed seems to think music can change the world. Obviously, he does or why would he make political songs and play the VFC tour? Eddie said something like that he felt seattle in the 90's was getting all this attention and he felt that if nothing good came of it, if things didnt change, if a positive political and social experience didnt come of it, that would be a tragedy

oh i am laughing, have no doubt about that. the establishment tolerates music cause it amuses us and keeps us occupied. and it makes them rich. it would take a considerable seismic shift for music to make any difference. it is a distraction nothing more.
    well ed was wrong. nothing good came out of seattle anymore than anything good comes from other centres of music. good music that's all. and some bad music too i imagine.
    music can make one more aware of certain issues, but the individual has to have the initiative. by itself music will not change the world. it never has.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119

!

Its so wierd seeing this since, Modest Mouse has been around for more than 10 years. and now they are big.
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    I don't think the indie rock scene can be classed as a musical movement in the same way that the bands of the early 90s were.

In the early 90s, those bands started on a local scene and that was where the buzz grew from and it wasn't until later that the press got involved. It was a gradual growth.

The indie rock scene is very much flash in the pan. It's been built by the press, largely on bands who have very little substance or anything really going for them. It's a trend, and it'll probably only be a year until this one has run it's course. There will be survivors, one or two, who'll make it but in ten years time, no one will even remember the majority of these bands.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • I don't think music can change the world, but I definately think that it inspires people to want to change the world, and look at things from different perspectives and maybe even change how they live. Music is an awesome force. But I don't think any of these "indie" rock bands will get the job done, and I don't feel that it's a movement. I don't feel that these bands even have anything to say or have the balls to stand up and say it in a way that people would notice if they did. Music (at least mainstream music) is in a generic state right now.
    Walking is still honest
  • i guess its just a difference of opinion. My life has been changed by music. And I would guess I am not alone in this assertion. It feeds me, its food, its as important to me as breathing and blood rushing in my veins. So thats how I feel.

Anyways, music has always been in protest movements. From the labor movement and woody guthrie and joe hill to the Civil rights movement and "we shall overcome" and "blowin in the wind", to Antiwar vietnam movement with Crosby Stills and Nash and Jimi Hendrix, to now with the antiglobalization movement and Rage or Antiflag

To me music is power. As I said before, I cant stand mainstream music, but the truth is most of that music has a good melody and is catchy as hell. Music ets under all our skin, and permeates our body. Both bad and good music. And most of the music we are emmersed in is complete crap. But emmersing oneself in music that is political and invigorating is something that can change the world.

Many on here really dislike Coldplay, I think they are great myself, anyways, the lead singer always has this equal sign on his hand symbolizing opposition to Free Trade and NAFTA, CAFTA, WTO and all that. So Coldplay seems really popular with everyone right now. I think its important to realize the power they have. And if Chris Martin can get more kids aware of Free trade and why its bad, then I think that is a positive. Music has power that politicians dont have. In that it is the voice of youth. Its the voice of the real culture, of real society. Lets be honest people dont look up to John Kerry or Al Gore, Kids look up to musicians. And if those musicians are telling kids to be political and activists, that is a very powerful thing.

To me, music is and should be dangerous and angry, and a threat to the status quo. And that is expressed in Uncle Neil's new record, he didnt just want to protest Bush and the war, he wanted people to go out and change the world. Or another example is Fugazi. Ian mackaye doesnt just think music is something for background noise. He wants the audience to participate and he wants people to use that power to change the world.

Listen to Wake Up by Arcade Fire. WIn Butler was trying to inspire a rebellion among youth, to rise up and start the revolution, start taking our destiny in our own hands.

Music should inspire and aim to change the world. When it fails to do that, we are all doomed
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    i guess its just a difference of opinion. My life has been changed by music. And I would guess I am not alone in this assertion. It feeds me, its food, its as important to me as breathing and blood rushing in my veins. So thats how I feel.

Anyways, music has always been in protest movements. From the labor movement and woody guthrie and joe hill to the Civil rights movement and "we shall overcome" and "blowin in the wind", to Antiwar vietnam movement with Crosby Stills and Nash and Jimi Hendrix, to now with the antiglobalization movement and Rage or Antiflag

To me music is power. As I said before, I cant stand mainstream music, but the truth is most of that music has a good melody and is catchy as hell. Music ets under all our skin, and permeates our body. Both bad and good music. And most of the music we are emmersed in is complete crap. But emmersing oneself in music that is political and invigorating is something that can change the world.

Many on here really dislike Coldplay, I think they are great myself, anyways, the lead singer always has this equal sign on his hand symbolizing opposition to Free Trade and NAFTA, CAFTA, WTO and all that. So Coldplay seems really popular with everyone right now. I think its important to realize the power they have. And if Chris Martin can get more kids aware of Free trade and why its bad, then I think that is a positive. Music has power that politicians dont have. In that it is the voice of youth. Its the voice of the real culture, of real society. Lets be honest people dont look up to John Kerry or Al Gore, Kids look up to musicians. And if those musicians are telling kids to be political and activists, that is a very powerful thing.

To me, music is and should be dangerous and angry, and a threat to the status quo. And that is expressed in Uncle Neil's new record, he didnt just want to protest Bush and the war, he wanted people to go out and change the world. Or another example is Fugazi. Ian mackaye doesnt just think music is something for background noise. He wants the audience to participate and he wants people to use that power to change the world.

Listen to Wake Up by Arcade Fire. WIn Butler was trying to inspire a rebellion among youth, to rise up and start the revolution, start taking our destiny in our own hands.

Music should inspire and aim to change the world. When it fails to do that, we are all doomed

Free trade is not bad.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Free trade is absurd. The WTO, CAFTA, NAFTA and all those things are unfair, they instill power in the U.S. and countries like it, while giving little power to those countries who are poor. Secondly, it is ruining our environment. American Corporations now move their factories to third world countries for several reasons, one is that in these third world countries the labor movement is non existent and people dont exactly rise up and fight the bosses about having to be paid 10 cents a day. Additionally, their are less strong environmental regiulations in those countries so the corporations can pollute. So to compete in this globalized and expanding free trade world, these countries lower environmental and labor standards to attract buissness of U.S. coroporations.
    Lastly, the idea of globalization is absurd because it's basis is that more buisness and more corporations and more industrialization and more capitalism is inherently a good thing. I think many in the u.s. and many around the world are in disagreement with that idea.

But again, the point being, music is popular with young teens especially. And if bands can point fans in directions of politics and activism instead of sex, drugs and violence and stuff like that, I think we have some hope.

And let me qualify this, I agree with you buddy. Free Trade isnt bad....just as long as you are not a third world country, and just as long as you think the destruction of our trees and rivers and forests is a good thing
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I hope you joking, there arent enough good bands around these days to change the world. 95% of indie bands are average - crap
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Free trade is absurd. The WTO, CAFTA, NAFTA and all those things are unfair, they instill power in the U.S. and countries like it, while giving little power to those countries who are poor. Secondly, it is ruining our environment. American Corporations now move their factories to third world countries for several reasons, one is that in these third world countries the labor movement is non existent and people dont exactly rise up and fight the bosses about having to be paid 10 cents a day. Additionally, their are less strong environmental regiulations in those countries so the corporations can pollute. So to compete in this globalized and expanding free trade world, these countries lower environmental and labor standards to attract buissness of U.S. coroporations.
    Lastly, the idea of globalization is absurd because it's basis is that more buisness and more corporations and more industrialization and more capitalism is inherently a good thing. I think many in the u.s. and many around the world are in disagreement with that idea.

But again, the point being, music is popular with young teens especially. And if bands can point fans in directions of politics and activism instead of sex, drugs and violence and stuff like that, I think we have some hope.

And let me qualify this, I agree with you buddy. isnt bad....just as long as you are not a third world country, and just as long as you think the destruction of our trees and rivers and forests is a good thing

More capitalism is bad? Economic growth in the last half-century has been consistently strong. Life expectancy has almost doubled in the developing world since the postwar years and is starting to close the gap on the developed world where the improvement has been smaller. Infant mortality has decreased in every developing region of the world. Income inequality for the world as a whole is diminishing.Many other variables such as per capita food supplies, literacy, child labor, and access to clean water have also improved -JUST HORIFIC!!!! And if your thinking music is going to influence the lazy lazy ME ME generation of today's youth - dream some more.

Anyway here is some more truth:

http://www.nationalreview.com/nordlinger/nordlinger200509270142.asp
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2107100/

Adidos......

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

I don't think the indie rock scene can be classed as a musical movement in the same way that the bands of the early 90s were.

In the early 90s, those bands started on a local scene and that was where the buzz grew from and it wasn't until later that the press got involved. It was a gradual growth.

The indie rock scene is very much flash in the pan. It's been built by the press, largely on bands who have very little substance or anything really going for them. It's a trend, and it'll probably only be a year until this one has run it's course. There will be survivors, one or two, who'll make it but in ten years time, no one will even remember the majority of these bands.

10 years time? you mean like the one or two grunge bands who survived the 90s? come on... it cracks me up when the grunge apostles act so pathetically desperate to prove that their music is so superior to any music that came before or after. dyou really need the validation that badly?

the bands he mentioned are uniformly excellent and are every bit the match of the seattle scene of the 90s.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i like some of the new indie music, and it is propably much better for music than the rap/hip-hop/pink-pop/and-what-not revolution staged during the end of the 90's and the early 00's, but i don't like the pretencious attitude associated with the genre (indie) and the fans. actually it is killing me - they really aren't all that clever/original/left field as they claim to be. i know this is a massive generalization, but true for the majority imo
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Twatay wrote:
    all i gotta ask is....are you fucking kidding me?!?!?

I'm in total agreement.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert