Matisyahu

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I really like his music. What I am more interested in, is does anyone know how people in the Hassidic faith react to his music. It certainly isnt the normal path it would seem for a person of faith to blend rock, hip hop and regaae into music. I would think maybe some people would be upset
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I really like his music. What I am more interested in, is does anyone know how people in the Hassidic faith react to his music. It certainly isnt the normal path it would seem for a person of faith to blend rock, hip hop and regaae into music. I would think maybe some people would be upset

Sadly enough, some people in his faith take issue to the fact that he performs at concerts where men/women stand together as one.

The hassidic faith calls for the separation of the two genders at temple services, weddings, etc. The faith also forbids another woman touching a married man, so he has stopped diving into the crowd.

My brother turned hassidic, so he follows all of this stuff....very weird that his older aunts can't kiss him.

I do think its cool that such a strictly observant religious group has their own rock star that has also garnered secular attention.
  • thats interesting. So if some female fan was to walk up to Matisyahu or any male of the hassidic faith, they couldnt talk or interact with one another at all?
  • he definitely is extremely religious in his lyrics and of course he dresses religious, but it seems there is also a non religious or secular part of him that comes out in lyrics and music. I think its an interesting dichotomy
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Living in New York, I have had the chance to ask some hassidics how they felt about him. The response was overwhelmingly positive. My friend sometimes dj's at an ice rink frequented by hasids and other stictly observant jews. They always request him, and go nuts when he gets played. Two points that I have been made aware of: His rabbi asked him to stop stage diving lest he come in contact with a female, and at certain concerts sponsored by Jewish organizations, the crowd was asked to seperate the males and females. Needless to say, the non-jews weren't having that. Overall, it seems to be the lyrical content that the observers pay attention to. They don't seem to mind the style of music acompanying it. I heard a local hebrew school even did a scripture reading in hip-hop form recently. It goes to show that young people want experience new things and have fun, just not compromise their beliefs in the process.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
    thats interesting. So if some female fan was to walk up to Matisyahu or any male of the hassidic faith, they couldnt talk or interact with one another at all?

No contact
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

he definitely is extremely religious in his lyrics and of course he dresses religious, but it seems there is also a non religious or secular part of him that comes out in lyrics and music. I think its an interesting dichotomy

He grew up a pot smoking Phish following non-practicing Jew. When he was 16, he met a rabbi, and became enthralled with the culture, He converted soon after. Many people accuse this transformation as a gimmick. I am not one of those people.

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    thats interesting. So if some female fan was to walk up to Matisyahu or any male of the hassidic faith, they couldnt talk or interact with one another at all?

they can talk with him, just no handshakes, hugs or reach-arounds!