I met Frank Black

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2008 in Other Music
As most of you know I work at a grocery store. Yesterday I was bagging groceries, and paying attention to doing my job. I look up and Frank Black, pixies lead singer is right there, in my check out line. I got this amazing feeling halfway into the grocery bagging, thinking "I cant believe this is happening". He said a few normal things to the cashier, and his voice is so distinctive. As he left I told him, I really enjoy your music, but felt and still feel like an idiot for saying it. But hey, how many times is something like that gonna happen.

I still cant quite wrap my brain around it. I bagged groceries for Frank Black and spoke to him.

Pretty insane day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    There's not too many musicians or celebrities I would make a big deal about meeting. Frank Black would probably be one of the few I'd talk to.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    i definitely wanted to talk more to the guy, but he was at a grocery store with a zillion other people, and had his kid with him. So I didnt want to make too big of a scene.

it was and still is just so crazy. I dont meet famous people usually. And I dont usually bag groceries for famous people, and help put their grocery bag in their cart for them.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I've encountered him a few times and he didn't seem too friendly.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Awesome
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    Give us a detailed list as to what he bought. Twinkies and yoo-hoo?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    As most of you know I work at a grocery store. Yesterday I was bagging groceries, and paying attention to doing my job. I look up and Frank Black, pixies lead singer is right there, in my check out line. I got this amazing feeling halfway into the grocery bagging, thinking "I cant believe this is happening". He said a few normal things to the cashier, and his voice is so distinctive. As he left I told him, I really enjoy your music, but felt and still feel like an idiot for saying it. But hey, how many times is something like that gonna happen.

I still cant quite wrap my brain around it. I bagged groceries for Frank Black and spoke to him.

Pretty insane day

What was his response when you said you liked his music?!
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    What was his response when you said you liked his music?!

I was thinking the same thing. Did he at least say thanks?
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    He probably said nothing and walked away with "Don't you forget about me" playing.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    he smiled and said thanks. I really didnt want to make a huge deal about it, at least not to his face. It was really chaotic at the grocery store, for Memorial Day and all that. So there were already tons and TONS of folks milling around, plus he had his son with him, and shades on so, I figured I shouldnt ask him a million question or anything. I just said I like your music, and he said thanks.

I was kicking myself and thinking that missing the pixies reunion tour was something that would haunt me the rest of my days

this is so much better. i actually helped Frank Black load his groceries into his cart.

His son was milling about and he even said, "stand back, this man (me) is going to bag and pack our groceries".

How cool is that!
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Haha, that's cool though... I think that's how it should be when you meet a famous person, not like the fan going ape shit that they love the artist, just saying they like their music and the musician acknowledging, nothing getting blown out of proportion or anything. Nicely executed.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    That's the coolest thing I've heard all day. :)
    It must have been really strange.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,977
    As most of you know I work at a grocery store.

I didn't know! :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14