Options

No pre-election concerts

naknak Posts: 72
edited October 2008 in The Porch
I'm really surprised that Pearl Jam has not announced any sort of pre-election tour. Granted, the VFC tour from last presidential election was somewhat of a flop and I believe I remember reading an interview where Ed or Stone said that they wouldn't do that sort of thing again.

Still, with as important of an election as this is, you would think that the band would do something collectively...or has Ed become a closet McCain-Palin fan? (j/k)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I'm glad they're not; don't need any more biased political rants.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    I'm glad they're not; don't need any more biased political rants.

With all due respect, your country needs a lot more people to join the chorus against the fear-mongering and propaganda that has put the US into a pile of trouble right now.

I'd be jumping up and down and ranting too if my country kept electing and supporting "leaders" who didn't even respect the basic freedoms of its own constitution!

DP
  • Options
    With all due respect, your country needs a lot more people to join the chorus against the fear-mongering and propaganda that has put the US into a pile of trouble right now.

I'd be jumping up and down and ranting too if my country kept electing and supporting "leaders" who didn't even respect the basic freedoms of its own constitution!

DP

could not have said it better.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    As much as I am on the same side as Pearl Jam, when it comes to political views, and as much as I'm always ready to hop in the car to another PJ show, I think they are wise to sit this one out for the most part. While the VFC tour was enjoyable for me, and cathartic for those who were so frustrated with the way the country was going, I'm not convinced it actually helped the campaign, if I look back with an attempt at objectivity. I think the campaign of the party I support (Obama) is going pretty well and he, and his supporters have got it covered. Sometimes less is more. (or nothing is everything)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Obviously, I can't speak for the band's mindset, but I'm guessing Ed wasn't thrilled with the selection of Biden for VP considering he ripped Biden by name at a concert in Philly in 2003.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    As much as I am on the same side as Pearl Jam, when it comes to political views, and as much as I'm always ready to hop in the car to another PJ show, I think they are wise to sit this one out for the most part. While the VFC tour was enjoyable for me, and cathartic for those who were so frustrated with the way the country was going, I'm not convinced it actually helped the campaign, if I look back with an attempt at objectivity. I think the campaign of the party I support (Obama) is going pretty well and he, and his supporters have got it covered. Sometimes less is more. (or nothing is everything)

I think this is an extremely rational and well thought out viewpoint.

DP
  • Options
    If Ed or Stone were truly informed they'd know that Kerry did indeed win the popular vote and should have been our next president but thanks to Diebold electronic voting machines the votes were minipulated and Bush was awarded the presidency.

so no the vote for change tour wasn't a flop! the idiots in this country who care more about baseball,football and bullshit more than they do about seeking out the truth and learning who is controlling our system..are the ones who flopped!!

and the '08 election is irrelevant..Obama and McCain are 1 in the same,2 douche-bags working for the same boss...and America as you knew it is now dead.

thanks to all the apathetic,complacent sheep who have allowed this to happen.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I busted out the nice suit for you, yeah? Ahhhhh, yeah. You didn't like that one. I don't understand. Maybe you like him cuz he's gonna give you a tax cut. Maybe you like him because he is a real guy, that relates to you, because he is so down home.

USA! USA! USA!
  • Options
    this is as close as it's gonna get:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=305671
    "Yeah, but what happened to the Dufranes?"
  • Options
    The Beastie Boys have drafted Sheryl Crow, Norah Jones, Jack Johnson and Ben Harper to join them on the Get Out and Vote tour, which will begin Oct. 28 in Richmond, Va. Shows are also set for Nov. 1 in St. Paul, Minn., and Nov. 2 in Milwaukee.

"This election is too important to stay at home," the rap trio said this morning (Oct. 10), adding that it is endorsing Barack Obama for president. "We hope that you can come out, have a nice night, dance, sing, get your freak on, and then wake up the next morning and get everyone that you possibly can to get out and vote."

Crow, Jones, Johnson and Santogold are on the bill for the Richmond show, while Harper and Tenacious D will support in St. Paul. Harper, Tenacious D and David Crosby and Graham Nash will join the Beasties in Milwaukee.

For ticket information, visit the Beasties' Web site.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    funny how this Obama has everyone fooled into thinking he is for change when he is just another lying piece of shit boot licking puppet ass mother fucker!!

I just don't get it...is it because you are all so eager to get rid of Bush that you will except any lying douche that will whisper false promises to you?

just go look at his voting record and that is all the proof you need! start thinking for yourself and stop letting the perception controllers tell you who is the best choice.

all you people better wake the fuck up and realize the only way we are going to bring about change in this country is to do what the declaration of independence tells us to do when our government becomes a corrupted cesspool like it is now!
  • Options
    i got idi got id Posts: 862
    funny how this Obama has everyone fooled into thinking he is for change when he is just another lying piece of shit boot licking puppet ass mother fucker!!

I just don't get it...is it because you are all so eager to get rid of Bush that you will except any lying douche that will whisper false promises to you?

just go look at his voting record and that is all the proof you need! start thinking for yourself and stop letting the perception controllers tell you who is the best choice.

all you people better wake the fuck up and realize the only way we are going to bring about change in this country is to do what the declaration of independence tells us to do when our government becomes a corrupted cesspool like it is now!

while you may have a valid point, people may take you a little bit more seriously if you presented your argument in a reasonable manner...
  • Options
    i got id wrote:
    while you may have a valid point, people may take you a little bit more seriously if you presented your argument in a reasonable manner...

my points are TOTALLY valid...and what do you find unreasonable about my statements?
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Personally, I'm sick of established bands jumping on the politics bandwagon. Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam...I get it, our administration sucks, but I want to hear something that doesn't instantly evoke a certain year in my mind, I want timelessness like everything up to and including Binaural.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx