Go see Michael Franti and Spearhead live!

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Just got back from my 13th show. As always, the show was mindblowing. If you havent already seen Spearhead live, take the time to go see them play. They are the real deal, the play and sing from the heart. And their live shows are amazing.

The are one of the most underrated live acts around. You always see Radiohead, Pearl Jam, u2, etc... on best live act polls and lists. And leaving out Spearhead is tantmount to treason in my book.

They have released many cd's, and the lead singer Michael Franti, reminds me of another socially aware frontman we all know and love on this board. Michael went to iraq, with just a camera crew and a guitar and sang songs of peace and love for the iraqi's. He goes barefoot always because he feels shoes in many ways show the dividing line between rich countries and poor. And despite the fact that he sells out shows and has been very sucessful, and even made a DVD, he lives in one of the poorest neighborhoods in San Francisco.

Go see Spearhead in your neck of the woods. You wont regret it. I am still loving them 13 shows later! come back Michael!! Come back Spearhead!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    not under rated by those of us who have seen them. i remember walking into a franti show and being struck by the sight of guys playing hacky sack for fucks sake. i knew i was in the right place when i saw that. just such a great vibe. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    I'm a huge Michael Franti & Spearhead fan, got all the albums. I haven't seen them live unfortunately, but as soon as I get a chance I will go!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Caught them last summer!
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • orgirlorgirl Posts: 35
    I have seen them twice now and will be catching them again in about two weeks. Such a great show, with amazing energy and an inspiring singer. At the first show I went to, we hung around for a few while people were leaving and Michael went around and hugged tons of fans. He was so friendly and warm to the people. Their new album is my favorite right now (Yell Fire).
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I've seen Michael live 4 times already, thanks to my boyfriend, who introduced me to his music around the time we got together. :) He is a GREAT performer and gets everyone jumping around. Michael and Spearhead are another energetic band that always blows my mind.

If you are ever in the SF Bay area around the first or 2nd week of Sept. I HIGHLY recommend going to Power to the Peaceful Festival. Every single year, Michael throws this huge get together at Speedway Meadows in Golden Gate Park and it amazing how a lot of people come for the music, politics and fun and it is all for FREE!!!

I know Michael every year works on it to get this free every time. He holds fundraisers in San Francisco for this event...he is truly one of a kind musician who practice what he preaches. :D i think it would be cool if him and Pearl Jam do a tour together. Stone was mentioned in the THANK YOUs on "I know I'm Not Alone" documentary. :)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn