musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited July 2008 in Other Music
other than antiflag or propaghandi, seems like the punk scene is dead,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Check out The Bronx.

http://www.myspace.com/thebronx

History's Stranglers is a fucking awesome tune.
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Check out The Bronx.

I'm diggin' The Bronx!
    History's Stranglers IS a fucking awesome tune!
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    the dropkick murphy's are still making some kick ass tunes
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    Against Me! are fucking awesome.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Check out The Bronx.

Got both albums, seen them three times. Every time was a treat. Reading was fucking incredible but you were there so you know that right? :) Met Matt, the singer, twice too. Cool guy. I remember commending him on his Black Flag tattoo and he just drunkenly seemed to ask if the girl I was with was my girlfriend or not.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • No_ones_rivalNo_ones_rival Posts: 385
    no use for a name
    Face to Face
    NOFX
    Social D
    Bad Religion
    Dropkick Murphys
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • TheDecline13TheDecline13 Posts: 990
    Any chance to say NOFX more
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • check out the Street Dogs.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • RAT!RAT! Posts: 115
    punk is such a broad term nowadays. there are tons and tons of crappy

mainstream poppy as shit mtv "punk" bands and then there are is the real

deal independent bands touring on there own putting out there own records.

If ya wanna here real punk rock ya gotta dig a little bit deepier.
  • Bad Religion is still kicking ass
    I saw Against Me! at Bonnaroo and they were pretty good.
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    The Unseen
    The AKA's
    The Queers
    River City Rebels
    Rancid (Tim Armstrong released a new-ish solo record. Kinda Reggaeish, punk with a pop vibe. I liked it)
    Rise Against
    Scars & Stripes (my punk band shameless plug... http://www.myspace.com/scarsandstripespunk)
    The Architects
    Transplants (broke up, but I'll bank on a reunion soon)
    The Donnas (although not a fan of their newest release)

Honestly, anything Hellcat Records releases is normally brilliant.

Great punk music is all around you, just head to a local show and give em a chance. I personally wasn't a bit fan of the new Anti-Flag CD...just seemed like a big rip off of Against Me. Spit in the Face is an amazing track though.

Warped tour is killing punk rock.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Against Me! - I saw them when they opened for the Foo Fighters and they were really good
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    I like the Suicide Machines, theyr like Punk and Ska-punk. They broke up a couple of years ago I think. But they have good stuff, and in their most recent albums they got some relevant lyrics.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Bad Religion is definitely still doing it right

I like Against Me and Rise Against
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Rise Against, for sure.

The Briggs are good too.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,232
    Check out The Bronx.

Unbelievable...I saw the thread title and thought of them immediately. So glad someone beat me to it!
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    pjl44 wrote:
    Unbelievable...I saw the thread title and thought of them immediately. So glad someone beat me to it!
    I saw their video on Fuse the other day and loved it....but had forgotten to check them out this week....doing so shortly
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    NickyNooch wrote:
    what is your take on why?

I saw NOFX about a month or so ago. Before the show, the DJ for some radio station came up and announced future shows. When he said "Warped Tour" the crowd booed like crazy. Kinda took me back a bit.

I haven't seen Warped since Eminem played on it (9 or ten years ago?), so obviously it has been awhile. I just always thought it was a somewhat repectable tour. What happened to it?

I don't listen to too much punk anymore, I still listen to the old standby's however I really do like the latest Rise Against. I thought the Bronx (live anyway) were mediocre at best. Makes me think I need to revisit them.
    transplant wrote:
    what is your take on why?

I saw NOFX about a month or so ago. Before the show, the DJ for some radio station came up and announced future shows. When he said "Warped Tour" the crowd booed like crazy. Kinda took me back a bit.

I haven't seen Warped since Eminem played on it (9 or ten years ago?), so obviously it has been awhile. I just always thought it was a somewhat repectable tour. What happened to it?

I don't listen to too much punk anymore, I still listen to the old standby's however I really do like the latest Rise Against. I thought the Bronx (live anyway) were mediocre at best. Makes me think I need to revisit them.

1st, in my opinion... if you have been away from punk and haven't listened in a while, you have to check the Unseen's latest CDs. They are just getting better and better every album.

On Warped sucking... Joe Queer said it better than I can....
    http://www.wirenh.com/Music/Music_-_general/Joe_Queer:_the_face_of_punk_200610241597.html

TF: Can you name some other bands that you’ve played with that have attained commercial success but still remain true to their vision?

JQ: Oh, I would say, hands down, Green Day. People give ’em shit and all that but they haven’t changed one fucking iota. The production was better (on Reprise), but they had all the songs for “Dookie” and would have recorded it on Lookout, the label we were all on together. Now there’s Blink 182 and Good Charlotte and all these other bands, but nobody has the originality and spirit of Green Day. Green Day’s a band that will knock your socks off. Dammit, that’s a good band. The (Mighty Mighty) Bosstones were like that, too. I remember playing with them in 1989. They were going to play that great ska rock whether they made it big like they did or whether they ended up playing at the Ratt on a Saturday night. They were doing it ’cause they loved music, not ’cause it was a career move. I respect bands like that. You play music because there’s something inside of you that says you have to play music. Now you get bands like Fall Out Boy that are basically created in the studio. The Warped Tour changed it. I just don’t like that shit. All the guys in the bands remind me of the jocks I hated in high school. Fuck it, I’m not going. To me a punk gig is a small sweaty club with the audience right in your face knocking over the mic stand and boogying off the energy. You feeding off their energy, that’s what punk was to me. The Ratt in Boston or CBGB’s or Chet’s in the North End in Boston.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    NickyNooch wrote:
    The Unseen
    The AKA's
    The Queers
    River City Rebels
    Rancid (Tim Armstrong released a new-ish solo record. Kinda Reggaeish, punk with a pop vibe. I liked it)
    Rise Against
    Scars & Stripes (my punk band shameless plug... http://www.myspace.com/scarsandstripespunk)
    The Architects
    Transplants (broke up, but I'll bank on a reunion soon)
    The Donnas (although not a fan of their newest release)

Honestly, anything Hellcat Records releases is normally brilliant.

Great punk music is all around you, just head to a local show and give em a chance. I personally wasn't a bit fan of the new Anti-Flag CD...just seemed like a big rip off of Against Me. Spit in the Face is an amazing track though.

Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards seems to be missing from your list.:)
    The Buzzcocks are still going strong, also UK Subs.
    Check out the Japanese Clash wannabes Jail Guitar Doors at their myspace page well worth a listen, the track Two Bombs Were Not Enough is awesome.
    Also Tiger Army I hear good things of.
    Pennywise I dont seem to see mentioned yet.
    Also from blighty, check out Derbyshires Capdown, more Ska-p than straightforward punk but awesome never the less, also Link 80.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,232
    transplant wrote:

The first time I heard The Bronx was opening for the Dillinger Escape Plan. I also didn't think much of their set, other than that they were entertaining. Their first two records don't do too much for me, but the one they put out in 06 is fucking incredible. And what I've heard from the new album is every bit as good.
    Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards seems to be missing from your list.:)

Yeah I know, just that they haven't done anything since Viking (Which was an amazing album... their best IMO) and I thought the originial request was bands that are still around.

That said, I'm sure they'll make another album.

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    NickyNooch wrote:
    Yeah I know, just that they haven't done anything since Viking (Which was an amazing album... their best IMO) and I thought the originial request was bands that are still around.

That said, I'm sure they'll make another album.

The Bastards will be back, right after the next Rancid album which is coming very soon and tour which is currently going on.
    And fuck me if there is one thing you can count on Lars will bring the goods, the first two bastards albums are awesome, I have every faith in the third being just as good.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Pennywise, Strung Out, and Authority Zero are the best thing going today and it was so cool that all toured together this year...also Face to Face, Ignite, No Use, Lagwagon, Guttermouth, Social D and Bad Religion...is Propaghandi still recording albums?
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG