Bands who still spend time on artwork and albums

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited July 2008 in Other Music
what are some bands who still put effort into making interesting and eye catching album artwork and liner notes.

PJ would be an obvious answer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    The band that comes to mind for me is the Drive-by Truckers. Their CD's are little works of art.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I think the last three Pearl Jam covers have been awful.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    10,000 days by tool is some of the best recent cd packaging ive seen.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    muppet wrote:
    I think the last three Pearl Jam covers have been awful.

bad call on binaural, otherwise they need to step it up.
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    I think Radiohead In Rainbows is my favorite album art of any album art on the history of the world.... when you think about it it is SSOOO genius...

Also Modest Mouse We were dead before the ship even sank has very nice album art that fits along with the theme of the music.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I think the artwork on Thom Yorkes Eraser was the best since No Code.

Phosphorescent - Aw Come Aw Wry is pretty cool and I also like the Arcade Fire's album art.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    soclose wrote:
    The band that comes to mind for me is the Drive-by Truckers. Their CD's are little works of art.
    Great call....that Wes Freed art is some creepy-cool shit!!! Holding the Dirty South CD in my hands right now....killer layout!!!

The last Tool cd, as previously mentioned, is also a work of art.

Peter Gabriel also makes the effort.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Great call....that Wes Freed art is some creepy-cool shit!!! Holding the Dirty South CD in my hands right now....killer layout!!!

The last Tool cd, as previously mentioned, is also a work of art.

Peter Gabriel also makes the effort.

The Truckers albums never fail to impress also, at first I thought BTCD wasn't as good but I think its one of my faves now.:)
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The Truckers albums never fail to impress also, at first I thought BTCD wasn't as good but I think its one of my faves now.:)
    Loved it from first listen....:cool:...had already heard a number of songs live prior to the album's release.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Rammstein's art work is always great.
    Soulfly's new album cover is pretty sweet.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    tybird wrote:
    Loved it from first listen....:cool:...had already heard a number of songs live prior to the album's release.

I just meant the artwork, not the actual music haha, that kicked arse right away, except for I'm Sorry Huston, which I skip with every listen.:)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Nine Inch Nails. On Year Zero, the CD itself was heat sensitive and would actually change color. He's got a good graphics designer also who works on all his visual stuff - web, show sets, and album artwork.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I think the artwork on Thom Yorkes Eraser was the best since No Code.

Phosphorescent - Aw Come Aw Wry is pretty cool and I also like the Arcade Fire's album art.
    the art from thom yorke's album was taken from a preexisting wood cut print... its like a 6'x6' print... and the real deal is even cooler! i cant remember the name of the damn artist right now but as soon as i do ill post it... he had some limited edition prints of the design (smaller scale) on his site the last i saw

interesting that PJ and radiohead are always on the cutting edge in EVERY aspect of musicianship... you would think atleast one thing would suffer but it doesnt! incredible!

i cant think of many more artist that are as consistent
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    already has been mentioned but nin. i think marilyn manson has some good album art that brings something extra. pink floyd also seems to capture alittle extra with theirs

on the pj thing, i dont think pj has had great artwork since yield, nearly and decade now. i like space and all that but binaural was neat for that but didnt fit the album. now if that was the light years package for the single, thats a different story. riot act was just studio pictures. lost dogs had liner notes (cool, but nothing groundbreaking or different) and s/t....all i can say to that is ewww!!!.

now the into the wild art fit the whole theme. that was a nice one.
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    Good call, starting with Undertow they have been very creative with there album art. Also, is there a band that has made better videos the last 15 years?

on the pj thing, i dont think pj has had great artwork since yield, nearly and decade now. i like space and all that but binaural was neat for that but didnt fit the album. now if that was the light years package for the single, thats a different story. riot act was just studio pictures. lost dogs had liner notes (cool, but nothing groundbreaking or different) and s/t....all i can say to that is ewww!!!.

I'm pretty sure the only PJ artwork I actually find appealing is Yield. No Code is impressive, but even that one is pretty ugly.

I wonder if all the ugliness is meant to match the music, or if they guys simply have bad taste.;)
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    The White Stripes.
  • Sigur Ros

Elbow

Arcade Fire

Radiohead/The Eraser
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Clutch. c'mon people.

From Beale Street To Oblivion would've looked awesome if the label actually spent the money and did it as a digipack, like the band requested. Robot Hive/Exodus looks amazing. Blast Tyrant is a little lame if you ask me but even back to Elephant Riders.. the shit was simple but awesome.

i thought Isis' Oceanic was pretty fucking cool. Pelican does some cool stuff... but all this is Aaron Turner who sings in Isis and owns HydraHead Records and Tortuga Recordings. all releases are his artwork and they're all cool.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    soclose wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the only PJ artwork I actually find appealing is Yield. No Code is impressive, but even that one is pretty ugly.

I wonder if all the ugliness is meant to match the music, or if they guys simply have bad taste.;)

well have you seen some of the posters......
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Pavement.

I only have their first 2 albums, but all the artwork looks like it was done at home. I think it matches the music well.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
    well have you seen some of the posters......

I generally stay away from that stuff, but yeah, the one I own is ugly as sin.
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291

Yep, this album is easily the best packaging/concept album art ever done imo
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I know this was an oldie, but I liked the Mike Watt Ballhog or Tugboat packaging. The Full length book style one.
    NERDS!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    sgossard3 wrote:
    the art from thom yorke's album was taken from a preexisting wood cut print... its like a 6'x6' print... and the real deal is even cooler! i cant remember the name of the damn artist right now but as soon as i do ill post it... he had some limited edition prints of the design (smaller scale) on his site the last i saw

interesting that PJ and radiohead are always on the cutting edge in EVERY aspect of musicianship... you would think atleast one thing would suffer but it doesnt! incredible!

i cant think of many more artist that are as consistent

stanley donwood. its called cnut. thats as in the crazy old king who thought he could hold back the sea, not a misspelling of something else. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say