Who were the breakout stars of Coachella 2008

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2008 in Other Music
last year arcade fire and of course rage were the most talked about acts of the festival, who was this years best live bands?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OUTHOUSEOUTHOUSE Posts: 39
    I dont know who the break out is/was.

all I know is Aphex Twin was there and I missed it.

Bummer.
  • i didn't hear anything about Arcade Fire. i head Daft Punk stole the show last year.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I was there, and would rank Portishead (amazing visuals), Love and Rockets (great to hear them again) & Roger Waters (amazing visuals, pyro, a small airplane buzzing over the crowd, a floating pig and different sounds being mixed thru 8 or 10 speaker towers around the site) as the best acts.

None of the smaller acts really shined too bright....the National were great, as were Carbon/Silicon, but none of the "hype" bands really impressed me, though I only saw a few of them.

Many people were looking forward to seeing Swervedriver, but to me, they just came off as an average 90s band.

More random thoughts (After 3 days there, I am too tired to write paragraphs!):

Duffy was boring.

Gogol were fun for 30 minutes.

Flogging Molly seemed out of place.

Spiritualized were great, but had sound problems.

Mark Ronson's set was cool..he had Kenna, Ricky Wilson (Kaiser Chiefs), Tim Burgess (Charlatans), Santagold and the singer from the Klaxons come out to perform.

The hipsters in the VIP area were annoying....seems like most of them could care less about the music.

The free pair of Vans shoes I got backstage are comfy!

Sean Penn seems very sincere in his activism (Eddie did not appear with him).
  • Morris Day came out with Prince and did Jungle Love and the motherfucking Bird! Sheila E. was there too, It was amazing! I was right on the barrier in the front row. Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks were fucking great. It was my second favorite show right behind Prince. The Verve surprised the hell out of me and were one of the most solid bands there. Portishead was extremely fucking solid and incredible. I saw Redd Kross at the Daydream Nation show and they were good, but at Coachella they were one of my favorite acts. Coachella has the best sound system that I have ever heard so it's great to see things even if you have seen them before. I heard that Sharon Jones was the big breakout band but I really didn't want to miss The Verve. Until I saw Prince, Malkmus was my favorite show; they were so tight. It was like seeing a different incarnation of Sonic Youth. Prince covered Creep by Radiohead. It is possibly the best concert that I have ever been to. Morris Day is my idol.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    .....Prince covered Creep by Radiohead.

yes i heard he covered creep by radiohead. that would have been supercool. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • The band started playing the chord progression for Creep for the first encore and Prince wasn't even on stage yet. My friend said that sounds a lot like Creep and I said that's because it's the same chord progression. He was like yeah, it's the same tempo and drum beat. Then we started singing it together just to match it up for fun. Then Prince walked out and started singing it and I was like, you called it man. It was fucking great.
  • i didn't hear anything about Arcade Fire. i head Daft Punk stole the show last year.

that was 06, the year before last.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • ZAPPERZAPPER Posts: 250
    MMJ.

Awesome set - some new songs from upcoming album!

was lucky enough to find a spot right in front on the railing before they came on - only wish they had a longer set.

Roger waters was amazing . . . after a long set, he seemed kinda tired and said he'll be right back out to play dark side.....then he comes out 30 mins later and plays the whole album, comes out again for another encore with a few from the wall - incl another brick, comfortably numb........

Sean Penn was acting crazy! prob from the heat lol - and i'm beginning to think mr penn himself is the one who started the rumors of Ed showing up with him to get more peoples into the Gobi tent :)
    Previously known as Elzar
  • ZAPPERZAPPER Posts: 250
    yes i heard he covered creep by radiohead. that would have been supercool. :D

i saw that on youtube......kinda weird......
    Previously known as Elzar