Why do people give NME crap?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Why is it trashed like Pitchfork is?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Did you see their last awards show?

It was the same 7 bands up for every single award.

That is why.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • NME has changed a lot, over the years. Let's just say that.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Because it used to be the only British music paper that mattered. Now it is the only british music magazine with which I would be ashamed to wipe my arse.

Fucking filth. It makes me actually angry to think about, never mind read. I do read it though, if it's about. I won't pay for it. I just find it funny in a sick way.

Pitchfork is a far superior publication. Firstly, there is a diversity in the music covered, even if it is all smug, hipster stuff and, to be honest, most of the stuff they pimp out is brilliant. Besides, Pitchfork are aware of how ridiculous they are. It's tongue-in-cheek, but more than that, the writers can actually write. NME seems to be written by a bunch of deadly serious toddlers with knowledge of a handful of bands who all suck.

They also change their opinions on bands according to trends that THEY SET. Only a few months after calling The Horrors the next big thing and their frontman the "coolest student in Britain" (fuck off, I used to know Faris Badwan, he was a quiet maths geek with a big nose), they decided that, since he insulted the frontman of The Enemy, NME's new favourite band, they would start calling him a "posh prep-school twat".

It makes me sick.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Because it's such an awful music magazine with such a tunnel vision attitude to music....

All the bands featured in the magazine pretty much look and sound the same, with their Topman cardigans and 'wacky' hair and generic post-Libertines sound.....It's boring and predictable, the exact opposite of what music should be.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    All the bands featured in the magazine pretty much look and sound the same, with their Topman cardigans and 'wacky' hair and generic post-Libertines sound.....It's boring and predictable, the exact opposite of what music should be.....

We're going to look back on this era and think "why the fuck did I buy those shitty clothes from Topman?"
    muppet wrote:
    We're going to look back on this era and think "why the fuck did I buy those shitty clothes from Topman?"
    Some of us didn't.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Some of us didn't.

Haha, touche. :D I don't think I've ever been in a Topman. Topshop with the ex a couple of times, but never Topman.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    i hate Topman, it's the most Fat-ist shop on the high street, super skinny jeans, tight t-shirts a 10 year old would struggle to fit into, skinny fit cardigans and vile coloured converse wish they were's!!! Grrrrr

Primark all the way for me now, why pay more???? :D
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    i hate Topman, it's the most Fat-ist shop on the high street, super skinny jeans, tight t-shirts a 10 year old would struggle to fit into, skinny fit cardigans and vile coloured converse wish they were's!!! Grrrrr

Primark all the way for me now, why pay more???? :D

Don't forget the coats that look like binbags.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Loving the anti-Topman vibe going on here :D

Awful, awful clothes, everythings super skinny tight and really bad colours.....

Fashion and music should never be so cosily hand in hand in my opinion.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    Let's maintain thread integrity here guys. However closely linked NME and Topman are, we don't want to get a thread in which we can spit venom at NME locked so quickly :p

NME is fucking shite. There we go.

As you were.
  • Fuck!

You fucking mop-mess haired, skinny-ass 'I have the archetypal English accent - I'm bringing it home for Britain' New Romantic, jingly jangly disco drumbeat post-punk tosspots. Get the fuck out of our music scene!
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

Fuck!

You fucking mop-mess haired, skinny-ass 'I have the archetypal English accent - I'm bringing it home for Britain' New Romantic, jingly jangly disco drumbeat post-punk tosspots. Get the fuck out of our music scene!

NME writer: This is a refreshing mix of Neu!-influenced rhythmic electronica married to the jagged, angular guitars of the post-punk era. 9/10

Editor: Mate, what the fuck does angular actually mean? Y'know, because sound isn't a 3, or even 2-dimensional thing.

NME writer: I dunno... I just picked it up from Melody Maker reviews. I guess it means it sounds like Gang of Four. So like, it applies to most of what we talk about.

Editor: Oh cool. Also, you might want to tone down the krautrock references, neither you, nor I, nor our readers actually listen to that stuff.

NME writer: Ok. Sorry.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    NME writer: This is a refreshing mix of Neu!-influenced rhythmic electronica married to the jagged, angular guitars of the post-punk era. 9/10

Editor: Mate, what the fuck does angular actually mean? Y'know, because sound isn't a 3, or even 2-dimensional thing.

NME writer: I dunno... I just picked it up from Melody Maker reviews. I guess it means it sounds like Gang of Four. So like, it applies to most of what we talk about.

Editor: Oh cool. Also, you might want to tone down the krautrock references, neither you, nor I, nor our readers actually listen to that stuff.

NME writer: Ok. Sorry.

:D