Radiohead

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I think, with the exception of Nirvana, they are the most critically revered and loved band of our generation.

Anyone agree?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ummm... id agree that they are the most loved and revered by critics. i disagree that they deserve it.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yep, critics love them.... they borderline overrate them, but I wouldn't go that far. They're not nearly as popular as Nirvana though. Nirvana is pretty much a household name.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I think their non-techno music is some of the most amazing stuff.

Never got into the electronica but Everything In It's Right Place and a couple others are really good too.

Good call!

Can't wait to see them again live. ...almost more than PJ!!
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • ummm... id agree that they are the most loved and revered by critics. i disagree that they deserve it.
    Yes we all know how you feel about radiohead :rolleyes:

Despite soulsinging's objections, I think they're one of the greatest bands in the last 30 years. The Pink Floyd of our generation.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • inthefleshintheflesh Posts: 170
    Despite soulsinging's objections, I think they're one of the greatest bands in the last 30 years. The Pink Floyd of our generation.

yup.
    was it?....
  • ummm... id agree that they are the most loved and revered by critics. i disagree that they deserve it.
    I'd like to echo that. Not bad by any means, but they're far from original and their musicianship is somewhat contrived.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'd like to echo that. Not bad by any means, but they're far from original and their musicianship is somewhat contrived.

OK, for the record, I haven't been much of a fan since OK Computer, but there is no doubt that The Bends and OK Computer are INCREDIBLE records - and both HIGHLY original. There have been plenty of pretenders since, but before at the time those records came out, there wasn't anything like them - just listen to My Iron Lung for proof ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=OPLWVjyeoVs ) And what on earth does contrived musicianship entail?! They've certainly become very pretentious if that's what you mean? But in their day, they were amazing. My favourite song is The Bends - the guitars alone in that song are ridiculously cool.
    OK, for the record, I haven't been much of a fan since OK Computer, but there is no doubt that The Bends and OK Computer are INCREDIBLE records - and both HIGHLY original. There have been plenty of pretenders since, but before at the time those records came out, there wasn't anything like them - just listen to My Iron Lung for proof ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=OPLWVjyeoVs ) And what on earth does contrived musicianship entail?! They've certainly become very pretentious if that's what you mean? But in their day, they were amazing. My favourite song is The Bends - the guitars alone in that song are ridiculously cool.

+10000000

Listen to the guitar noise solo on 'Just' from The Bends. Tell me that's contrived, please. Damn... I could say that about almost every song of theirs. Contrived is not the right word you were looking for dude.
    Yes we all know how you feel about radiohead :rolleyes:

i often dont get pink floyd either ;)
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I like them a lot. I think people overrate them a bit, but it does'nt take away from some of their brilliant recordings.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Yes we all know how you feel about radiohead :rolleyes:

I'll agree with that. To me, they are one of the most authentic bands out there. They have always wrote their own rules and made the music they wanted to. I love bands who are bold enough to experiment and broaden their sound. And Thom's lyrics are genius.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    And Thom's lyrics are genius.

Eh, I love Radiohead, but I gotta disagree with you there. Some songs are great lyrically (Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, No Surprises) but most of them from OK Computer and beyond are way too obscure to make me think he had a cohesive idea when writing them.

I read on Wiki that he actually took lyrics out of a hat for some songs on Kid A. Obviously that doesn't mean that it's true, but it quite possibly is.
  • DOSW wrote:
    Eh, I love Radiohead, but I gotta disagree with you there. Some songs are great lyrically (Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, No Surprises) but most of them from OK Computer and beyond are way too obscure to make me think he had a cohesive idea when writing them.

I read on Wiki that he actually took lyrics out of a hat for some songs on Kid A. Obviously that doesn't mean that it's true, but it quite possibly is.

I love metaphors and analogies. I don't care for songs being too straight forward, actually. I think it takes more artistic ability to write Thom the way does. Different folks, different strokes, I s'pose. :)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    I love metaphors and analogies. I don't care for songs being too straight forward, actually. I think it takes more artistic ability to write Thom the way does. Different folks, different strokes, I s'pose. :)

the way he does? you mean by pulling random lines out of a hat? funny how thom is a genius for it but noel gallagher is a wanker for the same practice. that doesn't make metaphor or analogy... it makes a random mush of gibberish that tries to SOUND deep.

not that they're all like that, just saying he's got a point. sometimes thom is singing out his asshole and you can't deny it.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,591
    I like Radiohead, but I think most of my friends would struggle to name a song by them. If I told them "Creep" they would most likely say, "OH...THATS Radiohead?"

I can name about 20 bands that are more revered by our generation.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • the way he does? you mean by pulling random lines out of a hat? funny how thom is a genius for it but noel gallagher is a wanker for the same practice. that doesn't make metaphor or analogy... it makes a random mush of gibberish that tries to SOUND deep.

not that they're all like that, just saying he's got a point. sometimes thom is singing out his asshole and you can't deny it.

He said he didn't know if that was true. And I personally don't think it's the case. I think his lyrics are meaningful and can be obscure but that's also a plus, imo. And no, I don't think he is singing out of his ass..so yeah, I'll deny that. If that's your opinion you're more than welcome to it. Seems I'm not the only one here that thinks Thom is a good songwriter just look at the songwriter thread.

Also, comparing anything by Oasis to Radiohead is just laughable.

-Oscar Wilde
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    radiohead are kings.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    DOSW wrote:

never heard of that before....i tried searching for it but all i could find was that mention in wikipedia (w/ no link saying where it came from) and someone's tripod site...
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
    He said he didn't know if that was true. And I personally don't think it's the case. I think his lyrics are meaningful and can be obscure but that's also a plus, imo. And no, I don't think he is singing out of his ass..so yeah, I'll deny that. If that's your opinion you're more than welcome to it. Seems I'm not the only one here that thinks Thom is a good songwriter just look at the songwriter thread.

Also, comparing anything by Oasis to Radiohead is just laughable.

not saying he's not, just saying his shit does stink and not everything he touches turns to gold.
  • not saying he's not, just saying his shit does stink and not everything he touches turns to gold.

And I never said otherwise. I just said I really liked his songwriting.

-Oscar Wilde
    And I never said otherwise. I just said I really liked his songwriting.

fair enough. i stand corrected and will now shut the fuck up and go to bed :)
  • fair enough. i stand corrected and will now shut the fuck up and go to bed :)

You'll never shut the fuck up. :p:)

Nighty night.

-Oscar Wilde
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    If you have ever read Chuck Klosterman's book 4 (I'm pretty sure it's that one). He does a thing on how "rated" bands are. Radiohead was the only band he classified as both overrated and underrated. I read the book last year, but if memory serves his reasoning was that people who love Radiohead highly overrate them, and often times won't listen to anything else; but the people who discount their work, or say simple things like "they suck" are underrating them.

I personally think they are incredible. I hated their music up until a couple years ago when I went on a road trip with my sister listening to Kid A and O.K. I have heard a couple things in magazines about Radiohead and the one thing that stuck with me was a quote by Dave Matthews (this is off the top of my head, but it should be close) "They are the only band in the world that almost challenge their fans to dislike their new albums. But after those people get over the initial shock of what the new album sounds like, they will see it's genius"

Also, since this thread is about Radiohead, check out the section in Klosterman's Killing Yourself To Live about how Kid A goes hand in hand with the events of 9/11. It's some crazy stuff
  • You'll never shut the fuck up. :p:)

Nighty night.
    :p

Sorry that was just funny to me..

Ok Computer's lyrics are pretty obscure in places (most places) but there's a shitload of meaning behind them. Just think about it. Also reading info on http://www.greenplastic.com helps point you in the right direction to interpret their songs or sometimes just gives it to you.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • inthefleshintheflesh Posts: 170
    thunderDAN wrote:
    "They are the only band in the world that almost challenge their fans to dislike their new albums. But after those people get over the initial shock of what the new album sounds like, they will see it's genius"
    sums it up pretty much perfectly

most of the time it's difficult to get into/understand what RH is all about...but as the saying goes...most things worth doing are not easy
    was it?....
  • corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    thunderDAN wrote:
    quote by Dave Matthews (this is off the top of my head, but it should be close) "They are the only band in the world that almost challenge their fans to dislike their new albums. But after those people get over the initial shock of what the new album sounds like, they will see it's genius"

That seems to be the rational behind No Code, Binaural, and Riot Act to me... :D

Well. I've always loved them, but definately not as maistream as Yield or Avocado!
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    fuck radiohead

i listened to their new "unreleased" studio recordings

arpeggi
    videotape
    down is the new up
    house of cards
    follow me around
    good morning Mr. Magpie
    last flowers til hospital
    big ideas

i'd be generous not to call it beyond fucking dull/boaring and pretentious.

and apparently everybody is waiting for ok computer 2 this year :eek:

lol
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    killing time at uni today i listened to OK comp and i have to say that it is consistently the album that lives up to my expectations. i know that whenever i play it, it's gonna thrill me. i'm not a radiohead-head by any stretch of the imagination but fuck OK's a classic album. it should be called fuckin' hell computer cause it's way more than just OK. admittedly though the bends is my fave rh album.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    radiohead has always been one of my favorite bands. but these days i feel they may be more overrated than Nirvana. and that is some accomplishment.

i don't know, since i've been listening to a much broader spectrum of music radiohead has lost some of its appeal for me.

and i'm absolutely sick and tired of critics sucking them of blindly.

as i said in my previous post - everybody have been raving about (as usual) their new unreleased studio material (more likely than not to appear on their upcoming studio release)

let me just say i'm less than impresses. radiohead need nigel goodrich to give their music an edge - i don't think their tunes would be nearly as affective without his wizardry
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    glasshouse wrote:
    radiohead has always been one of my favorite bands. but these days i feel they may be more overrated than Nirvana. and that is some accomplishment.

i don't know, since i've been listening to a much broader spectrum of music radiohead has lost some of its appeal for me.

and i'm absolutely sick and tired of critics sucking them of blindly.

as i said in my previous post - everybody have been raving about (as usual) their new unreleased studio material (more likely than not to appear on their upcoming studio release)

let me just say i'm less than impresses. radiohead need nigel goodrich to give their music an edge - i don't think their tunes would be nearly as affective without his wizardry

you might be the first radiohead fan i've ever met with a realistic grasp on the hype surrounding the band.

i will say im curious to hear the band. maybe that's a mark of their quality, even when i dont like what they're doing or even outright hate it, im always curious to hear what they've been up to. that counts for something.