Iron and Wine

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Who here is excited about the new record. The new single "boy with a coin" is one of the most outstanding protest songs I have heard about the conditions of the world so far. Extremly poignant without being explicit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• When does the new album release and where can I listen to the new single?
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    new single available at myspace.com/ironandwine

new album is september i think
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Didn't the new album leak in June?
  • I just finished listening to the new single. Pretty good. Really different from his previous two albums.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • 7 Kettles7 Kettles Posts: 86
    i have the new album....it's phenomenal!!!!!!!!!!

very very cool...a natural evolution from "woman king"....lots of african type drumming on a lot of songs....less slow songs than his previous albums. still, the slow ones are all completely jaw dropping (namely "carousel" and "ressurection fern").

top 5 albums of 2007, methinks.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    a must-buy for me!
  • i knew vaguely about iron and wine, remember them being really minimalistic vocals/guitar? i guess i assumed they were talented, but maybe too far into that sappy "woe-is-me" kinda thing that grates on me.

heard "boy with a coin" and its swirling flamenco flourishes, and atmospheric vocals blew my mind.

immediately bought the album and after the first spin through, quickly decided it might be my favorite record of the year. that doesn't happen to me very often.

this is in a very elite league in my music collection, and i've only owned the damn thing for three days. heartfelt, almost abstract lyrics without any pretension or overly bleeding heart sappiness (which is very rare in my opinion) presented in a strange stream of conciousness fashion that rarely adheres to a typical verse-chorus-verse structure, a jaw-dropping variety of musical sounds and textures and rythms performed flawlessly by top-shelf musicians, AMAZING production that could easily have gotten out of hand (check out the over production on Ray Lamontagne's new album... fucking killed it). beautiful, beautiful, amazing fucking work. i might dabble in sam beam's other transmissions, cuz he's obviously one of the most talented musicians out there today, but from what i've been reading online, "the shepherd's son" sounds like quite a departure for him, kinda pissing off his old, hardcore fans. gotta love that.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I recently got the new album too and i'm liking it a lot.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I first listened to Iron & Wine with Our Endless Numbered Days, so I was a bit taken aback by the new approach. But this disc has really grown on me, and was definitely one of my favorites of the year. Some great, low key jams going on here. It really translates well live too.

newwetkojak, you do need to look at some of Iron & Wine's other releases. If you aren't into the straight solo acoustic thing that he did on the first few releases, at least get the In The Reins EP he did with Calexico.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • merkinball wrote:
    I first listened to Iron & Wine with Our Endless Numbered Days, so I was a bit taken aback by the new approach. But this disc has really grown on me, and was definitely one of my favorites of the year. Some great, low key jams going on here. It really translates well live too.

newwetkojak, you do need to look at some of Iron & Wine's other releases. If you aren't into the straight solo acoustic thing that he did on the first few releases, at least get the In The Reins EP he did with Calexico.

I love the CD too... I think I need to check out more by Iron and Wine...
  • newwetkojaknewwetkojak Posts: 62
    bump
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I really enjoy both "Endless Numbered Days" and "The Shepard's Dog". He did a good job incorporating a more diverse, fuller sound into his latest album, the drastic change could have been a disaster, but he pulled it off.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Iron & Wine is one of the sets I'm most looking forward to at Bonnaroo. I'm very happy I get to see Iron & Wine, Gogol Bordello, and Pearl Jam all in the same day. :)
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    Ohhh I only heard of these guys a few weeks ago... I'm currently investigating their music :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.