most emotional/amazing guitar chord or riff

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I am not talking about the ocean or stairway or sweet leaf

i am more talking about a song where a little guitar chord or riff conveys mountains of feeling.

an example would be the shins, pink bullets. that guitar melody is meloncholy to the hilt.

or

mayonaise, when the electric guitars start in, how the guitars basically moan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Grounded-Pavement
    Broken Chairs-Built To Spill
    Comfortably Numb-Pink Floyd
    Black-Pearl Jam
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • 88keys88keys Posts: 151
    mayonaise, when the electric guitars start in, how the guitars basically moan

I love how Corgan uses the feedback of his guitar in this song... genius.
    Camden 8/28/1998; Jones Beach 8/24/2000; Camden 9/1/2000; Camden 9/2/2000; Albany 4/29/2003; New York 7/8/2003; Vancouver 9/2/2005; Atlantic City 10/1/2005; Albany 5/12/2006; E. Rutherford 6/1/2006; E. Rutherford 6/3/2006; New York 6/24/2008; New York 6/25/2008; New York 5/20/2010
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Every second of Maggot Brain by Funkadelic.
    Every second of Sunshrine by James Blackshaw.
    Every second of Storm by Godspeed You! Black Emperor

The greatest single note ever played on a guitar is at 3:56 of Purple Rain by Prince.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Comfortably Numb-Pink Floyd

When I read the thread title this is what I thought of as well.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Stevie Ray Vaughn- Lenny, the version from Carnegie Hall, where he plays that gorgeous string of climbing high notes.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • baker street(foo fighters version)
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

This is the song to show Drangonforce fans how emotional guitar solos can be. ;)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Limp Bizkit - "Nookie"
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    This is the song to show Drangonforce fans how emotional guitar solos can be. ;)
    :) absolutely.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Pearl Jam - Nothing as it Seems
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I instantly thought of Mayonaise when I read the title - say what you will about Billy Corgan, but that guy came up with the most spine-tingling guitar tone I've ever heard.

I'll also agree with Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here. Others that really strike me are:

River Of Deceit - Mad Season
    The little guitar solo from Foo Fighters' Best Of You, so simple, yet so effective.
    I would also include the bass line from Crime Scene Pt. 1 by the Afghan Whigs - absolutely spine-chilling when it kicks in about the one minute mark, in fact the same could be said for the guitars too: http://media.putfile.com/Crime-Scene-Pt-1
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Warning Sign - Coldplay

love how the opening chords sound...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I would also say most of Sigur Ros' back catalouge, they can convey so much with so little effort.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Jimi - Little Wing
    SRV - Lenny
    Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
    Prince - Purple Rain
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Long Road
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    Long Road

Now you're talking! Can't believe I forgot that one.
  • 88keys wrote:
    I love how Corgan uses the feedback of his guitar in this song... genius.

I'm not a Pumpkins fan, but that song is perfection.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Add November Hotel too!!
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I agree with Mayonaise

Also I would add:

River of Deceit
    Scar Tissue
    Wish You Were Here
    Footsteps/Times of Trouble
    NERDS!
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Mad Season- Wake up
    Eric clapton- Wonderful tonight (Absolutely adore the live versions of this)
    Cream- white room- that solo is sick! :D
    Pearl jam- Indifference, listening to a live version now, and just amazing guitar sound on this. I've got tingling down my spine
    Toadies- Tyler and I burn
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,638
    Jimi - Little Wing
    PJ - YellowLedbetter
    PJ - Present Tense
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
    red mos wrote:
    Mad Season- Wake up
    Eric clapton- Wonderful tonight (Absolutely adore the live versions of this)
    Cream- white room- that solo is sick! :D
    Pearl jam- Indifference, listening to a live version now, and just amazing guitar sound on this. I've got tingling down my spine
    Toadies- Tyler and I burn

Cream - white room!!!!!!!!!!!! Forgot about that one too. I have to add November Rain too. I'm not a big GNR fan but wow!! I love that song.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Every second of Sunshrine by James Blackshaw.
    Every second of Storm by Godspeed You! Black Emperor

The greatest single note ever played on a guitar is at 3:56 of Purple Rain by Prince.

I think Alex Lifeson's solo (and the subsequent lead in to the final chorus) in The Camera Eye is pure perfection.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    I instantly thought of Mayonaise when I read the title - say what you will about Billy Corgan, but that guy came up with the most spine-tingling guitar tone I've ever heard.

How about Soma? There are multiple jaw-dropping sections of that song. The intro trippy part, the 40x overdriven kick-in....it's just awesome.
  • Machine Gun, first long note of the solo.
  • River of Deceit
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/ckaswa

Phish - Bathtub Gin (8/17/97)

Starting at 7:32, and really kicking in at 8:02. The jam goes from meandering/directionless noodling to mind boggling. I swear it's one of those moments where an artist/band just gets 'it', whatever 'it' is. 4-5 minutes of sonic bliss. Tell me that section of the jam isn't on some other plane. The interplay betwen the guitar and piano is just beautiful. It gives me the chills every time (especially at the 12:35 mark when it crests and just explodes).
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    Machine Gun, first long note of the solo.
    EXACTLY!
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 137
    "Tears in heaven" lead-Clapton
    "man of the hour" transition to the bridge-PJ
    "killing in the Name" main riff-RATM
    "f-stop Blues" Jack Johnson
    "Pleasure and pain" Ben harper
    "Sweet child O' mine" solo build-up-GNR
    "voodo Chile" when it swithces from the intro to the main riff-Hendrix
    This guy wouldn't know magesty if it bit him in the face- Strong bad

www.myspace.com/lastgeneration56