Death Cab-narrow stairs

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited June 2008 in Other Music
just listened for the first time

before album release you had several reviews suggesting the album was a huge departure for the band, and that this was their Nevermind album or the album that would make them one of the biggest bands in the world.

Did it live up to the hype? Have things changed at all?

I also heard endless reviews talking about how this was an album about growing up and finding onesself. Upon first listen i cant decern many lyrics that deal with either.

For me, trans and plans defined and define a period in my life that continues. They are albums where I feel like they completely encompass my feelings and ideas.

This album lacks the first listen and love songs, songs that grab your heart (Tiny Vessels, Title and Registration, Summer Skin, Brothers on a hotel bed)

I hate to say it, but I dont know if I love the album.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    Ive really gotten into the album . i just started listening to them and im going to start to try to get into there older stuff, plans is a good album too.
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • The first two songs are the only ones that sound "different" and "noisy" compared to the rest of their catalogue.

The rest of the album, in my opinion, is rather disappointing.
    Horry Kow!
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    i didn't like it at first, but i kept it in my car cd player for a week. now i love it. much better than plans IMO.
  • corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    IMO, I think it bears a greater resemblence to The Photo Album than any of the others. Especially Cath... which I think is the best song on the new record.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • Just picked it up today but I will get back to this thread when I've had a chance to listen to it a few times.
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    just listened for the first time

before album release you had several reviews suggesting the album was a huge departure for the band, and that this was their Nevermind album or the album that would make them one of the biggest bands in the world.

Did it live up to the hype? Have things changed at all?

I also heard endless reviews talking about how this was an album about growing up and finding onesself. Upon first listen i cant decern many lyrics that deal with either.

For me, trans and plans defined and define a period in my life that continues. They are albums where I feel like they completely encompass my feelings and ideas.

This album lacks the first listen and love songs, songs that grab your heart (Tiny Vessels, Title and Registration, Summer Skin, Brothers on a hotel bed)

I hate to say it, but I dont know if I love the album.
    yeah it's failed to really grab me so far too. i really like bixby canyon, possess your heart, cath & long division but for me it's just not a 'start to finish' album. i put trans & plans above this so far.

i actually prefer chris walla's solo, field manual, really impressive solo debut. it's no departure from the death cab sound, just better songs!
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • celebrationcelebration Posts: 318
    Liked it first listen

Love it now

Solid release
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    for some reason I like it more when I'm only half-paying attention to it
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • I'm digging it.
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."