Nutshell

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited August 2007 in Other Music
any love for this classic Alice in Chains song? The words and melody are beautiful, and disturbing at the same time. Seems to describe like many Alice songs how Layne felt in his hell called heroin addiction.

I will make a comment bordering on heresey here but, I like the other bands versions of this song. The studio version seems too sped up, layne singing the words too fast, and the unplugged version is good but too short.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• any love for this classic Alice in Chains song? The words and melody are beautiful, and disturbing at the same time. Seems to describe like many Alice songs how Layne felt in his hell called heroin addiction.

I will make a comment bordering on heresey here but, I like the other bands versions of this song. The studio version seems too sped up, layne singing the words too fast, and the unplugged version is good but too short.

Wow, lotta AiC appreciation in here lately. And I gotta say, I love it.:D

Nutshell is a stone-cold classic song. The unplugged version may be short, but it's my favourite, based on the pure emotional reaction you get watching the DVD.

R.I.P Layne...
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • It is such a beautiful song, I prefer the studio version though. Jar of Flies is and will always be one of my favorite albums.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Usually see Nutshell and Don't Follow named as people's favorite AIC songs, and for good reason. Beautiful songs. I actually like both versions of Nutshell.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    nothing beats the mtv unplugged version... slowed way down
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I do love this song. Jar of Flies and Unplugged are easily my favorite AIC albums. I can't get into the heavier stuff anymore.

I have to say though, my favorite songs are "Brother" and "Don't Follow." It's strange - I've always adored Jerry's voice, but I only own his first solo album. I may have to change that eventually.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    soclose wrote:
    I do love this song. Jar of Flies and Unplugged are easily my favorite AIC albums. I can't get into the heavier stuff anymore.

I have to say though, my favorite songs are "Brother" and "Don't Follow." It's strange - I've always adored Jerry's voice, but I only own his first solo album. I may have to change that eventually.

Alice are the sort of band where you start off with the heavier stuff, but then when you discover the unplugged CD and acoustic EP's they take over totally.

Nutshell
    Dont Follow
    NO Excuses
    Got Me Wrong
    Brother

My 5 favourite AIC songs. And definitely get Degradation Trip man - i have the one-CD version which is great, now i just need to track down the expanded version...
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    This song is tits!! I love when the drums come in, it just hits so hard (especially in a car with a system) I remember every day in high school (94-96) listening to it on the juke box that they put in the cafeteria. They also had the un-edited version of "Killing in the Name" which was hysterical because the school was oblivious to it for a few months. ah, ...good times.

This is also a great sing along since it is so easy to play on guitar.
  • any love for this classic Alice in Chains song? The words and melody are beautiful, and disturbing at the same time. Seems to describe like many Alice songs how Layne felt in his hell called heroin addiction.

so i like aic a lot, i like the song nutshell in the studio, i think its shows really what aic can do.
    "You are a furry thing....you me me you its all related"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    It is such a beautiful song, I prefer the studio version though. Jar of Flies is and will always be one of my favorite albums.

same here, its a classic, not a bad song on the whole CD
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    one of my all time fav songs ever. love it.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    hands down favourite AIC song. nice thread :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    itsevobaby wrote:
    hands down favourite AIC song. nice thread :)
    Chilling on the unplugged DVD.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V