Best non political music currently

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I spent the better part of 2001-2006 emmersing myself deeply in politics and activism. There was a time when I wouldnt even buy a cd or watch a movie unless it was explicitly political.

Now I find myself in a different mood. I listen almost exclusively and watch almost exclusively non political movies and music.

So now I have to play catch up, and discover the good music of 2001-2007 that wasnt political, but is good nonethless.

Broad topic but anyone have any input?

To sum up, my mood currently isnt defined by a U2 record or a Rage record as it would have been in 2003. It now is defined by the Avett Brothers and Josh Radin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Silverchair "Diorama" and "Young Modern"
    Idlewild "Make Another World" (don't let the title fool you, it's not political)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Wilco- Yankee Hotel FoxTrot
    Built to Spill- You in Reverse
    Modest Mouse- Moon & antartica
    Minus the Bear- Highly Refined Pirates
    My Morning Jacket-Z
    Sonic Youth- sonic nurse

so so much stuff
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • poorgirl23poorgirl23 Posts: 194
    well since the white stripes are my latest obsession, I have to suggest them. they really don't have any political songs... as long as you stay away from Icky Thump, and The Big Three Killed My Baby. :)
    Common sense is not so common.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    datarock and chromeo are my favorites to dance around to :)

matt & kim is also fun stuff...fantastic live too!!

so much for you to catch up on.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Arguably i think though bits of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot are political.
    Anyway I used to be really into political music to the point where i didn't listen to much else. I think lots of songs are political and sometimes you don't realise it. And it's kinda a hard question because to me there are many artists who do a combination of political/non-political stuff, neil young, pearl jam, josh ritter, tom petty, rufus wainwright to name some. There are a few artists i can think of who don't really go there at all like the strokes, damien rice maybe even jeff buckley. But i don't really look for either in an artist i don't think just listen to whatever takes my fancy.
  • I would say today's rock music is generally non-political. And actually I'd say most new rock bands have no lyrics that relate to the world's issues. For me, thats very sad, but not surprising. Virtually every young person I talk to has no clue about the world around them. They only know about the dude they want to beat up, and how tough they are and they're problems with their girlfriend just like all of the music sold to the kids. Most kids couldn't tell you where Sweeden or Iraq is on a map, and if you pointed them out they couldn't tell which one is colder. Its really sad.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I spent the better part of 2001-2006 emmersing myself deeply in politics and activism. There was a time when I wouldnt even buy a cd or watch a movie unless it was explicitly political.

Now I find myself in a different mood. I listen almost exclusively and watch almost exclusively non political movies and music.

So now I have to play catch up, and discover the good music of 2001-2007 that wasnt political, but is good nonethless.

Broad topic but anyone have any input?

To sum up, my mood currently isnt defined by a U2 record or a Rage record as it would have been in 2003. It now is defined by the Avett Brothers and Josh Radin

in all seriousness, you need to get a polyphonic spree album. probably their first (beginning stages of polyphonic spree). it might help relieve some of your anxiety. the most optimistic without being cheesy music i ever heard. love those guys.

or get some black crowes. just some good, old-fashioned, down-to-earth roots rock. if you spent time on a commune, you'd have to dig it.

then there are the hold steady. it's not political, but you might enjoy the combination of good-time party vibe combined with skepticism towards the empty promises of life in the rust belt.

brand new is another good band if you're looking for some internally directed angst like pearl jam perfected in their early days.

oh yeah, and you can never go wrong with silverchair.

earlier flaming lips too. just so tripped out but so fascinating.
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    The Strokes - Is This It

Great album and the songs are about personal things, not political. (As far as I can tell anyway, I haven't opened up the lyric book analyzed the words)
    And before his first step... He's off again...