What's the most important scene in rock today?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2008 in Other Music
And where?

Montreal?

Chicago?

American music scene in general?

Britain?

Ireland?

elsewhere?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i don't think there is an important one right now

we're still waiting for something to come along and captivate the world.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Not too long ago Rolling Stone magazine had their "Best Of" issue, and according to them, Baltimore is the happening place for music right now.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    For me, Montreal.

Or at least it will be if Godspeed You! Black Emperor ever come off hiatus and the post-rock scene gets some much needed post-explosions rejuvenation.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    And where?

Montreal?

Chicago?

American music scene in general?

Britain?

Ireland?

elsewhere?

The most important scene is right under your nose my friend.

Stephen Malkmus
    The Shins
    Spoon
    Modest Mouse
    Decemberists
    The Thermals
    Heliosequence
    Menomena
    Viva Voce
    M.Ward
    Chris Walla
    Gossip
    The Lifesavas
    NERDS!
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Berlin? Maybe?
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Brooklyn!!!
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    For me, there isn't a place that strikes me as having a large concentration of talented and unified musicians at the moment, like Seattle or Liverpool. Maybe the internet has something to do with that?
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Brooklyn!!!

I agree. But I'm in the area so there has to be a bias there.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Online?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    Online?

Honestly that is the scene now with Radiohead, NIN, The Raconteurs, and others using it in a new way.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • 75Tammy7575Tammy75 Posts: 18
    Stillwater, Oklahoma

http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?s=8336493

Red Dirt breeds music

Posted: May 16, 2008 02:14 PM EDT

Updated: May 16, 2008 11:56 PM EDT

FEATURED VIDEO

Web Extra: The Farm
    Web Extra: Red Dirt, Part 1
    Web Extra: Extended Red Dirt, Part 2
    Red Dirt breeds musicians

Cross Canadian Ragweed was formed in Yukon.

Cody Canada, front man for Cross Canadian Ragweed, describes the music as a collage of many genres into one.

Stoney LaRue was born in Taft, Texas, but later moved to Oklahoma.

MORE LINKS

Cross Canadian Ragweed
    No Justice
    Oklahoma Rock
    Red Dirt Rangers
    Stoney LaRue
    The Stragglers
    The Tumbleweed Ballroom
    Wormy Dog

NEWS 9

This Sunday some of Oklahoma's most famous music stars, including Reba McEntire, Toby Keith and Garth Brooks, hit the stage for the 43rd annual Academy of Country Music Awards.

While those country superstars might have found their fame via Nashville, other Oklahoma musicians are finding their success a lot closer to home.

Some consider Red Dirt music country sounding, while others say it sounds like southern rock. Some say if the music needs a label to just use the word Oklahoma.

"You start in the middle, at Stillwater, Oklahoma, and you just kind of branch out in every direction," Stoney LaRue, a Red Dirt musician, said about the origins of the music.

Like many musicians, LaRue cut his teeth in Stillwater, the birthplace of the Red Dirt music scene. Along with LaRue are artists like Mike McClure, the Red Dirt Rangers and Cross Canadian Ragweed, who all got their start there. Despite budding from the same location, each band has a distinctive sound, said Brandon Jackson, guitarist for No Justice.

"The sound is different from each band to band to band. Some guys are more rock, some guys are more country, and there's everything in between," Jackson said.

Cody Canada, front man for Cross Canadian Ragweed, describes the music as a collage of many genres into one.

"It's country, folksy, it's bluesy, it's rock, and it's just blue collar music. It's a lot about the lyrics. It's a lot about the feeling of it. It doesn't have a label, I guess. It's everything from Merle Haggard influence to full blown Rolling Stones," he said.

Many Red Dirt musicians said that before they ever made it to the big stage in front of devoted fans, they were students of the recently departed Bob Childers.

Childers, whose country home was known as "The Farm", lived just outside the Stillwater city limits. He is often referred to as the "Godfather of Red Dirt."

"There were nights they'd open up what they call the ‘Gypsy Café.' There'd be nights that Jimmy LaFave, right off a tour, off a European tour, he'd come in and play the Gypsy Café. It wasn't a venue, it was just a shed. But everybody in town knew it," said Canada.

Eventually Childers left the farm, but the Red Dirt scene survived.

While Nashville has given birth to many profitable musical careers, some Red Dirt musicians are proud to stay here and measure their success in other terms than dollar signs and trophies.

"There's no real need, really I guess to say, to go out there and be out there. I mean, the scene is here, and it's growing from here," Jackson said.

Cooper said he measures success in terms of longevity.

"I measure success by, especially in this business, in art, as longevity. I wish Nashville understood what we do. I don't think that they would. I don't think they could. And if they did they'd just screw it up!" Cooper said.

These Red Dirt musicians feel they are successful without the aid of "Nashville" contracts. Bolan believes at least some of Red Dirt's success has come from the Internet.

"The growth is due in part, to the power of the Internet. It turned out that that gave us the freedom. The power is in the musician's hands again,"
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I agree. But I'm in the area so there has to be a bias there.

biased or not, we have a truck load of good bands based in BK these days

The Dirty Projectors,The Hold Steady,Interpol,The Forms,MGMT,Yeasayer,The Rapture,LCD Soundsystem,Grizzly Bear, Vampire Weekend, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    just to name a few
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854

Stephen Malkmus
    The Shins
    Spoon
    Modest Mouse
    Decemberists
    The Thermals
    Heliosequence
    Menomena
    Viva Voce
    M.Ward
    Chris Walla
    Gossip
    The Lifesavas

austin texas

reportedly
  • Nowhere.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Boise, Idaho. Duh...

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • et21et21 Posts: 112
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    For me, Montreal.

Or at least it will be if Godspeed You! Black Emperor ever come off hiatus and the post-rock scene gets some much needed post-explosions rejuvenation.

I just got into Explosions and they are really great. Can you recommend me some other bands like them? I'm going to check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I'm excited about getting into the post-rock scene. It's really good.
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    et21 wrote:
    I just got into Explosions and they are really great. Can you recommend me some other bands like them? I'm going to check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I'm excited about getting into the post-rock scene. It's really good.
    Basically Godspeed You! Black Emperor are the best band I've ever heard. Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is my favourite album ever and I even have a GY!BE tattoo. As ridiculous and fanyboyish as this all sounds, their music is truly unique and beautiful. Astonishing even. Forgive my superlatives. I'm very, very drunk. They make Explosions in the Sky sound like Cliff Richard.

Also check out A Silver Mt Zion, Tortoise, Set Fire to Flames, Do Make Say Think, Shalabi Effect, Hrsta and Red Sparowes.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • SiDSiD Posts: 76

Stephen Malkmus
    The Shins
    Spoon
    Modest Mouse
    Decemberists
    The Thermals
    Heliosequence
    Menomena
    Viva Voce
    M.Ward
    Chris Walla
    Gossip
    The Lifesavas

Portland absolutely should be in the conversation, though no one city seems to be the most relevant right now. Portland is definitely holding its own, however. There isn't a Spin or Rolling Stone I've read in 6+ months that doesn't have at least one mention of a Portland band or something Portland related.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Nowhere.

he he. nowhere & anywhere :)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Austin!