Options

SMC - The New Mastersounds - "This Is What We Do"

burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Hey my fellow SMCers!!

It looks like I'm up next since vedhead is a little busy. And yes sir, it's time for some get-down dirty funk from the SMC resident funkman. And the UK has done it again. ;)

I give you, The New Mastersounds, a four-piece funk band from England, led by the guitar virtuoso of Eddie Roberts. Since my last pick, Garage A Trois, if you remember, was a little too avan-garde in its funkiness, I thought I'd pick something more "guitar-driven" this time, since that should go down better with a rock and roll audience. These guys play a much more authentic kinda sound, more close to The Meters, for example, and have a very, very deep groove. Straight forward fresh funkiness to shake your ass to.:)

This is not their first album, but I think it's their most appealing. Five songs are covers (most notably "Ain't No Telling" is Hendrix, and "Zambezi" is Donny Hathaway), and most of it is upbeat, shake-that-ass fun. Sam Bell, a percussionist, guest stars on "Tin Drum" and "Pure" adding some very intense rhythms. I myself love this album as a whole, no particular favs, but the guitar playing is very smooth and enjoyable. And the organ, too. Man, that instrument is funky!

Check out their official for some more info.

http://www.newmastersounds.com

I'll post more comments later on. It's up there to grab, but if there are any problems, let me know. Oh and no bitching about the quality of the files because I have an old computer. lol

Hope you enjoy!:)
"If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    bump for the morning crew.
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    i downloaded it but didn't have a chance to listen yet...

just a bump before it goes to page 3...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    dowloaded, burned and playing. I get a Larry Young vibe. Definitely a more straight forward funk/jazz release.

sweet, got it right before it hit page 3.....
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    dowloaded, burned and playing. I get a Larry Young vibe. Definitely a more straight forward funk/jazz release.

sweet, got it right before it hit page 3.....

Yeah, there is a lot of organ in this thing. Definitely has Young's spirit somewhere in there.;)

Oh yeah, this was released last year.

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Could anyone send me the link to the download as PM?? Don't know why, but I'm unable to enter the mail, it asks to turn the cookies on for my browser... but they're on!
    Thanks and cheers.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    By the way, burnin, just saw this post of you in the Endino thread:
    Oh yeah, psycosmic and barcoach, I'm assuming you guys do something in the music industry. I'd love to get some advice someday. I'll be working at a small label over here from next month. Anyway, when I start my label in the very distant future, I want all you SMCers to be a part of it. Somehow, anyway. ;)

I don't work exactly for the music industry, is more like I work for the printing or publishing media, from time to time I get the chance to do something related to music...

Honestly, don't know much what kind of advise I can give you, except for always keep your back watched 'cause pretty much everyone is a moron.... oh yeah, and watch as much as you can that segment in Almost Famous where Lester Bangs tells the young guy "remember we are uncool... they are cool and we are uncool, that's why the get all the girls, but we have the intelligence, we have art on our side", or something like that he says, wise, wise words.

Looking forward to your progress on this issue, if I can help in anything (like reviewing here some of the records you put out), that would be a pleasure. SMC will take over the world!!!
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    hey guys...
    i know that i still need to give my thoughts in my own endino thread, answer burnin's question and everything...
    and i will!

but i've been on here 24/7 because of the london astoria gig and couldn't think of anything else really... haven't slept or eaten properly the last couple of days... now the contest is over...
    i guess you can all imagine how gutted i feel for not being lucky :(

if i miss out on tickets tomorrow i'm going to cry...

so...
    yeah, i'll catch up with all of you later...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    Damn time flies. I still haven't been able to listen to the Endino disc.
  • Options
    barcoach wrote:
    Honestly, don't know much what kind of advise I can give you, except for always keep your back watched 'cause pretty much everyone is a moron.... oh yeah, and watch as much as you can that segment in Almost Famous where Lester Bangs tells the young guy "remember we are uncool... they are cool and we are uncool, that's why the get all the girls, but we have the intelligence, we have art on our side", or something like that he says, wise, wise words.

Looking forward to your progress on this issue, if I can help in anything (like reviewing here some of the records you put out), that would be a pleasure. SMC will take over the world!!!

Yeah thanks barcoach. I love that film and know exactly what you're talking about.;) I think that one of the great things about independent labels is that they have great talent with them, and the big hungry major labels try and gobble them up and spew it all over the world. But I think real indie labels are putting up a good fight these days. There's tons of shit music, but there are tons of really good ones.

But as you know, the situation can be different in each country. Over here, the industry is a lot different (though pretty much the same in some...like the morons bit...lol) than say, the American one. People listen to different things, they fall for different promotion schemes etc. I have to learn the tricks of the trade from now on. And it would be a very long road, but I'm gonna enjoy every inch of it. I mean, music is all I really have that keeps me going on anyway. :)

I think some of the SMCers would make great A&R guys, don't you think? Anyway, it's nice to receive such words, barcoach.

Back to the topic, grab the funk you guys, there's a lot more ass-shaking to do than what we have so far!

• Options
    bump for the funk.

• Options
    I was ready to respond with a 'don't like it, don't hate it' comment, however I a have somewhat changed my tune after listening in traffic this morning.

If anyone can explain why I ran thru the Brady Bunch episodes while listening, that would be great.

I was looking for the guitar work and I had to wait until tracks 7 and 9 until I got them. Perhaps it was there near the front but just didn't catch on until later. Regardless, I got it and I liked it.

I generally hate the organ, but I do like it in this jazz/funk type setting. As with most of this 'type' of music, I would love the opportunity to listen to this in a live setting. Same rules apply here, great musicians, tight as hell.

Is this the type of music you are seeking for your label?

barcoach, have you been able to get this?
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    I was looking for the guitar work and I had to wait until tracks 7 and 9 until I got them. Perhaps it was there near the front but just didn't catch on until later. Regardless, I got it and I liked it.

I generally hate the organ, but I do like it in this jazz/funk type setting. As with most of this 'type' of music, I would love the opportunity to listen to this in a live setting. Same rules apply here, great musicians, tight as hell.

Is this the type of music you are seeking for your label?

barcoach, have you been able to get this?

Thanks transplant. Yeah, the guitar might not be as obvious as it should be, but glad you still liked it. He does play some nice stuff in there. And they released a live album just a few weeks back (maybe it came out early here), and they do some seet jams. They played a few gigs here, too, and they rocked the house for sure. Great musicians, anyway.

I was just trying to mix it up in the SMC, maybe it didn't go down too well this time, but oh well, that's life. ;)

And about the label, the project is still very, very vague. I'm gonna put into shape in the next few years or so, once I get more experience. I'm hoping not to restrict the music to one genre. I'm thinking all kinds of "jams" as a main theme. Psychedelic, freak-out, noise, funk, jazz, electronic, blues, math-rock, prog or whatever that just plain rocks, if it sounds good, it's there. ;) The label I'll be helping out deals with Americana singer-songwriters, jug bands, blues, roots music etc. and introduces the music to Japan. Some nice jam bands, too.

Anyway, thanks for the comments transplant!!!!!

• Options
    I was just trying to mix it up in the SMC
    good. that is the whole point :)