SMC: The Philadelphia Experiment - "The Philadelphia Experiment"

burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Hi there everyone!

We've had some great albums already, and I was gonna skip doing the funk thing, but hey, I guess that's my role here in the SMC. ;)

I've put up some straight forward funk stuff, but this time it's more of a jazz affair. Still funky enough to get those heads and asses bobbing, though.

I give you the Philadelphia Experiment, a one-off supergroup of local Philadelphians jamming to stuff from Sun Ra to Marvin Gaye. The drummer is none other than the mighty ?uestlove from The Roots, the pianist is jazz maestro Uri Caine, and on the bass is the funky soul brother, Christian McBride. If you don't know these musicians, well, you just need to know they're great.:)

Here's the review from allmusic.

This loose trio date brings together three Philadelphia-bred musicians with radically divergent careers but a lot in common nonetheless. They are pianist/keyboardist Uri Caine, bassist Christian McBride, and drummer/programmer Ahmir ("?uestlove") Thompson from the Roots. It's a textbook example of how jazz, soul, and hip-hop were becoming deeply intertwined at the outset of the new millennium. The album features a number of original tunes and improvisations, as well as covers from sources as diverse as Sun Ra, Marvin Gaye, Elton John, and Grover Washington, Jr. Along the way the trio is joined by John Swana on trumpet, Pat Martino on guitar, and Larry Gold on cello. Caine relies heavily on the Fender Rhodes piano, with McBride switching between electric and acoustic basses and Thompson combining live and programmed beats. Two of the covers, "Ain't It the Truth" and "Ile Ife," are by the early-'70s group Catalyst, whose members used to back Pat Martino. Some of the material is a bit lightweight, and one of the more gripping pieces, "(re)Moved," fades away before it can become anything substantial. That said, the playing is great and the grooves are irresistible — particularly the opening title track. Caine closes the program with a solo acoustic rendition of Grover Washington Jr.'s "Mr. Magic," and then McBride extends the Washington tribute with a hidden track, a playful solo bass reading of "Just the Two of Us." Elton John's "Philadelphia Freedom," performed as a piano/cello duo, is eyebrow-raising but a bit contrived. Ultimately the date comes across as three extraordinary talents just having fun, although the ramifications for eclectic music-making in the future are profound.

This is a very chillout kind of album. It sounds a little sophisticated, but its got some tasty grooves and its very, very soulful. Talented musicians, and the spirit from the city of brotherly love. You really can't go wrong there!

I recommend you listen with headphones, or turn it up loud, so you can hear McBride work the bass! Some nice guitars courtesy of Pat Martino, too!

I hope you like it.

(The hidden track at the end is very cool.)
"If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I'm on it.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    i d'ld it already and have listened to the first two tracks. So far it's pretty mediocre. It's the kind of thing I could catch on a Wednesday in a small Seattle club and really get down with. But this sort of funk/jam was meant to be experienced live, not laid down in a studio. The thing that really makes this a bit sub-par is the production. It's pretty muffled and not mixed very well.

That aside, I really dig the bass playing, and that dude from the Roots can really hold it down. I'm a big fan of The Roots' "Do You Want More?" so it's cool to hear this guy in a jam setting.

Overall, it doesn't really fly with me. But I'll listen to the whole thing first and reply once again.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    funk? thats awesome.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    (The hidden track at the end is very cool.)
    no doubt. I wonder why the bass is turned down so low on the rest of the recording? It sounds fantastic on this track.

Drumming is the highlight, hard to escape it. very tasteful...and yeah, funky. I don't know squat about the Roots other than ?uestlove has been a big name dropee over the past decade.

It sounds like this recording could have easily come from the early-mid 60's. I was never a huge keyboard fan in jazz music, however your past few selections have seemed to key on it. I do find myself enjoying it much more than I thought I would. Perhaps your selections are starting to catch on ;)

Ok, that was my big first spin comments. On to number 2.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i'm not a huge jazz fan, but i listened to the first four tracks tonite. its appealing to me ;)

more later after a few listens.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • alobar wrote:
    i d'ld it already and have listened to the first two tracks. So far it's pretty mediocre. It's the kind of thing I could catch on a Wednesday in a small Seattle club and really get down with. But this sort of funk/jam was meant to be experienced live, not laid down in a studio. The thing that really makes this a bit sub-par is the production. It's pretty muffled and not mixed very well.

That aside, I really dig the bass playing, and that dude from the Roots can really hold it down. I'm a big fan of The Roots' "Do You Want More?" so it's cool to hear this guy in a jam setting.

Overall, it doesn't really fly with me. But I'll listen to the whole thing first and reply once again.

Well, the production could be something with the fact that this isn't at CD quality level mp3s. I'm sorry about that, but my old computer did the best it could.

Comparing this group of musicians to local clubb jazz stuff might be a bit harsh, but I can understand what you mean. The sad thing is, this combination will never be experienced live, unless you're in Philly and a miracle happens. I agree that this would be much better live, though.

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • transplant wrote:
    It sounds like this recording could have easily come from the early-mid 60's. I was never a huge keyboard fan in jazz music, however your past few selections have seemed to key on it. I do find myself enjoying it much more than I thought I would. Perhaps your selections are starting to catch on ;)

Ok, that was my big first spin comments. On to number 2.

The keyboard thing is totally unconsciously done. But it's hard to escape the beautiful tones of the Fender Rhodes, yeah? ;) It's probably that instrument that gives it a retro feel.

It's good to get some funk in ya, transplant, and I'm glad you're getting into the music.:)

The keyboard thing is totally unconsciously done. But it's hard to escape the beautiful tones of the Fender Rhodes, yeah? ;) It's probably that instrument that gives it a retro feel.
    It must be the Rhodes. Very nice soft touch/feel to it. Your keyboard thing is probably my lack of awareness on the use of keyboards in Jazz. The first couple dozen releases I got had no keyboards in them.

anyrate, I enjoy the Philadelphia Experiment, Grover, (Re) Moved and Just the Two of Us the most. there is some rather abstract pieces like Lesson #4 and Philadelphia Freedom that seem to go nowhere but as a whole, I enjoy this, especially the drumming.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I dl'd and listened to this today at work. So far, so good. Indeed, the version of Trouble Man was enjoyable. And the Miles Davis-inspired tune definitely succeeds at evoking Miles Davis- I'd almost think it WAS Miles if I didn't know otherwise.
    AndySlash wrote:
    I dl'd and listened to this today at work. So far, so good. Indeed, the version of Trouble Man was enjoyable. And the Miles Davis-inspired tune definitely succeeds at evoking Miles Davis- I'd almost think it WAS Miles if I didn't know otherwise.

I get more of a Herbie Hancock feel out of it myself.

And about the jazz club thing, I said that because the music reminds me of a time a while back where I stumbled upon a really great funk jam by very respected musicians (some members of Maktub) in a little bar and I was blown away.

alobar wrote:
    I get more of a Herbie Hancock feel out of it myself.

Out of the Miles song?
    Actually, I just listened to it again and I don't think that was the song I was thinking of, strangely. I actually agree with you, The Miles HIt has more Herbie than Miles, to me.

I just listened to the first track and that one had parts that seemed Miles-ish. My confusion is coming from the fact that I wasn't paying attention to song titles or anything while I had it on- I just assumed it was the Miles HIt. I was working elsewhere in the room and I kinda forgot I was listening to this- I usually have my music on random so when I heard what has to have been the first track (with the trumpet, obviously), I thought it was actually Miles Davis and when I looked, it was of course this album.

Weird. My bad.

And actively listening to it now- while it evokes Miles, I don't think I'd say I could confuse it for Miles Davis.

So... yeah. Whatever.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I'm enjoying this album...the bass sounds delicious with each note "popping". I can have this playing in the background while I'm working or doing some chores around the house. Don't have much else to say about the band or the songs in particular.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    AndySlash wrote:
    Out of the Miles song?

I was actually referring to the overall sound of the album, not the Miles song.

• thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    hi all, i never really pay attention to the SMC tho i see threads about it now and then...but i just have to say that the philadelphia experiment is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got it years ago and, wow! its great "background" music isnt it? good for a rainy day or just about anything. kinda classy but at the same time youthful...

i didnt think anyone else in the world had actually heard of it :p. (well at least no one i know!)

i am a huge roots fan (or at least used to be...) and thats pretty much how i stumbled across it. okayplayer.com promo'd it years ago when it first came out. i believe they toured a little but i was never able to catch them.

also check out the detroit experiment (am i allowed to suggest that? or is that another thread?). its not as good as the phila, but nonetheless still a good listen. its a little different, not very phillyish (if that makes sense). hard to describe so i wont try to. just go get it!

i actually havent listened to either in years but i feel inspired now!!!!
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Sorry for the late response, people.

AndySlash, that's an interesting point about the Miles feel. It made me want to go back and listen to some of his electronic stuff. And I know you're the other "jazz" man here in the SMC, so I'm glad you got to enjoy this.

Alobar, thanks for the additional info about the local jamming thing. Members of Maktub? That would have been cool. Probably the main difference with your local clubs is that you still get top class musicians. ;) And yes, I agree with the Herbie feel, although you have to give recognition to Uri Caine who is an amzing pianist himself.

kdpjam, how are you enjoying it so far?

viggs, yes it is very, very good background music. Though I find it more engaging myself, I can understand your point.

thatgirl, thanks for your comments! i got into them through ?uestlove, too. But you're in Philly! Man, you must have such good local music there, I envy you. (I worked with a jam band called Lotus, who said they live in Philly now. Check'em out if you can. I don't know how big they are over there, but I know theY're known in the electronic jam circles) And yes, The Detroit Experiment is good as well. Kinda different, but it's still in the same series as this, so you can't go wrong. It brings out the flavor of the city really well, just like with this Philly version. Detroit is more of a house music thing I think.

Anyway, the link expires today or tomorrow, so get in there, folks!