SMC - Nagisa Ni Te - "Dream Sounds"

burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Hey guys.

Sorry for getting this up late.

For the first time, with tears I must admit, I will travel away from the funk realm since I cannot come up with a band starting with N, other than my previous offering of The New Mastersounds (who have a new album out coming soon). Thus, I will look into the confused mess that is the Japanese music scene (so many good underground bands, but way too much shit assholes taking away their credit) and present you with Nagisa Ni Te.

The band name basically means "On The Beach", so you can see where they get their influences from. ;)
They've been around a while, many albums have been released on the mighty Jagjaguwar label in the US, so they should be easy to get a hold of.

This album, Dream Sounds, is basically a best of affair, only that all the songs were re-recorded with better ensembles.
It's folky, poppy and a hint of early psychedelia adds to the beautiful mix.
The songs are in Japanese, and I'll put up translations later on.

Here's a review at Pitchfork.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/20298/Nagisa_Ni_Te_Dream_Sounds

Hope you enjoy!
"If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    sounds interesting ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    sweetness. I'll grab this tonight.
  • is it just 4 tracks? when i downloaded it, it only had 4 tracks. i just wanted to be sure this was right.
  • nevermind. i looked it up. will listen soon.
    Film critic Roger Ebert was once asked when it came to reviewing foreign films, why he always gave them an enthusiasitc 'thumbs up'. His response was that there were plenty of foreign films out there however the ones that make it over to the US (or the ones he critiques) are usually those that are the best of the bunch. I am paraphrasing here.

this is what comes to mind when I am listening to this. Over the course of the SMC, we have had a few artists that sing in their native tongue. From Soda Stereo, Corcobado, Selig, Shugo Tokumaru, Dungen and now this selection from Nagisa Ni Te. There are obviously plenty of bands like these however when it comes to selecting one for the SMC, I trust that you guys know the best of the bunch. This is cool.

So that being said, obvious influences aside, this is enjoyable. I love the landscape that the True Sun creates. It is a very nice ride, soothing. The vocals for the most part do not bother me. At times when I don't understand the language, those songs where the vocals take control (parts of the True World) I have a more difficult time enjoying them. I am sure if I knew what they were singing, I would have a different opinion. this doesn't happen much throughout this disc and I admit this is somewhat of a weak excuse to not enjoy something.

My favorite tune is Me, On the Beach and my least favorite is Anxiety. A little toooo much Young influence on the latter, almost over the top. The True World is my favorite from a musical standpoint and overall The True Sun puts me in the best mood.

thanks burnin-candle.
  • ok, i've listened to the whole thing once through and the last track a few times. WOW. i love it. i usually do not like music in a language foreign to me, just because i don't know what's being said, but in this case, it just doesn't seem to matter. the music and the vocals are so beautiful, i find myself wanting more (even after the 20+ minutes of the final track). this is an excellent pick! thank you, burnin-candle, for putting this up. it's a wonderful late-night or listening alone record to play, and i'll definitely be keeping it in my library. great choice!
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    it is very cool and intriguing. well said, everyone ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    ok, i've listened to the whole thing once through and the last track a few times. WOW. i love it. i usually do not like music in a language foreign to me, just because i don't know what's being said, but in this case, it just doesn't seem to matter. the music and the vocals are so beautiful, i find myself wanting more (even after the 20+ minutes of the final track).
    I was listening to that track while typing out my review and I thought the same thing, 20 minutes is too short :) That sure as hell doesn't happen much.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Not much left to say. It was beautiful. I loved it.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    I missed the link and it expired but i really want to listen to it. Can someone hook me up? Please!
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • brhf9 wrote:
    I missed the link and it expired but i really want to listen to it. Can someone hook me up? Please!

I'll put it back up once I get back to the PC that has that file in it!

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • Well, I'm glad everyone enjoyed it!

(Thank god I didn't put another funk album up there. ;) lol)

Anyway, I'll put up the lyrics once I get back to work where I left the lyric sheets (stupid me).

But that aside, I think this is indeed an album to just play and put you in a certain mood. Soundscapes are great, the slow building tension adds to that beauty and I think ultimately, it's music you don't have to think too much about while playing. Which is definitely not a bad thing. ;)

I also think hearing the voice sing in a different language somewhat adds to the "weirdness" overall, which can definitely make it sound more mysterious, though the sound is pretty straightforward by this kind of rock.

Glad you guys like it though!

Cheers.

• I've uploaded this again for those that missed it.

Will put the lyrics up soon. Sorry for the delay, folks!

Cheers.