Covers SOOOO good...

memememe Posts: 4,695
edited March 2008 in Other Music
... that they make you REALLY listen to a song, that make you a song you thought was just OK really great.

Just listened to Ryan Adams's cover of Wanderwall. Unbelievable.
Also, a few years ago I heard a woman on the radio singing "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. I have been absolutely in love with that song since.
... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Johnny Cash's cover versions are all brillliant but his version of U2's 'One' is absolutely stunning. I hate U2 with a passion but he transforms it.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Damien Rice's cover of Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is ace, real emotional
    Elliott Smith's cover of Trouble is great, sounds a lot more dark and desperate compared to Cat Stevens joyful original
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Thank you, never heard any of those, will go after them :)
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i love ray lamontagne and his cover of gnarls barkley's 'crazy' blows the original away in my opinion :)http://youtube.com/watch?v=uTGkT2WYcRo (just for the audio)
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    The two obvious choices:

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
    Israel 'IZ' Kamakawiowo'ole - Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

More of my favorites:
    Petra Haden - Don't Stop Believin'
    Petra Haden & Bill Frissell - I Don't Want to Grow Up
    Drive By Truckers - People Who Died
    William Shatner, Ben Folds, Joe Jackson - Common People
    Iron & Wine - Love Vigilantes
    Neil Young - On Broadway
    Mike Ness - Big Iron
    Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage
    Johnny Cash/Joe Strummer - Redemption Song

Check out the coverville podcast (http://www.coverville.com) for a bunch of great covers. I'm always finding something good there.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I think this is a pretty cool cover:

John Mayer - "Kid A" (Radiohead)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qBMANXQqbTs
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    fowls wrote:
    Damien Rice's cover of Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is ace, real emotional
    Elliott Smith's cover of Trouble is great, sounds a lot more dark and desperate compared to Cat Stevens joyful original
    Joyful??! Seriously?

"I'm beat, I'm torn
    Shattered and tossed and worn
    Too shocking to see
    Too shocking to see

Trouble
    Oh trouble move from me
    I have paid my debt
    Now won't you leave me in my misery

Trouble
    Oh trouble please be kind
    I don't want no fight
    And I haven't got a lot of time"

Couple that with his plaintive vocals and I can't imagine how anyone could describe the original as joyful.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • i love ray lamontagne and his cover of gnarls barkley's 'crazy' blows the original away in my opinion :)http://youtube.com/watch?v=uTGkT2WYcRo (just for the audio)

I think the raconteurs cover of crazy is really good too...
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    bruce dickinson, covering the scorpions 'the zoo'.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man and Turn, Turn, Turn
    Joe Cocker - With Alittle Help From Friends
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

All covers that blow away the originals
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man and Turn, Turn, Turn
    Joe Cocker - With Alittle Help From Friends
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

All covers that blow away the originals
    I agree with all of these apart from Mr Tambourine Man. Never been a fan of people covering Dylan. I am one of the people who actually likes his voice and would much rather hear him sing his own songs.

Speaking of The Byrds, Husker Du's cover of Eight Miles High is one of the most incredible rock vocal performances I have ever seen. Psychedelic classic becomes raging, ferocious act of punk rock catharsis.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Couple that with his plaintive vocals and I can't imagine how anyone could describe the original as joyful.
    It's joyful in comparison. Cat Stevens just can't do broken. The song is great, but it doesn't really suit Stevens' voice.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I agree with all of these apart from Mr Tambourine Man. Never been a fan of people covering Dylan. I am one of the people who actually likes his voice and would much rather hear him sing his own songs.

I'll agree with you on that, with the exception of Cat Powers cover or "Stuck Inside of Mobile (with the Memphis Blues Again)" from the I'm Not There soundtrack. I should have had that on my list, a great cover.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    mrs robinson - lemonheads.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Built To Spill's cover of Freebird... there's a live version out there. best cover i've ever heard
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I have one or two recordings of Uncle Tupelo playing Little Feat's "Willin'." I can't get enough of that one.

I also like Whiskeytown's version of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams." Beautiful!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Back Door Slam playing 'Red House'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50DbjogXuyc
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    soclose wrote:
    I have one or two recordings of Uncle Tupelo playing Little Feat's "Willin'." I can't get enough of that one.

I also like Whiskeytown's version of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams." Beautiful!

Neko Case also does an amazing version of Dreams
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    Back Door Slam playing 'Red House'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50DbjogXuyc
    I can't believe that band are big on the other side of the atlantic now. I saw them playing a pub with 10 people watching when they were a bunch of kids living on the Isle of Man. One of my best friends played saxophone on one of their songs. No one becomes successful from the Isle of man. It's crazy :p
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    bharQ wrote:
    Neko Case also does an amazing version of Dreams

Neko's one of my favorites. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Thanks for mentioning it!
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 628
    steve earle & the supersuckers' before they make me run (stones)
    living colour's talkin bout a revolution (t chapman)
    pearl jam's i've got a feeling (beatles)
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I can't believe that band are big on the other side of the atlantic now. I saw them playing a pub with 10 people watching when they were a bunch of kids living on the Isle of Man. One of my best friends played saxophone on one of their songs. No one becomes successful from the Isle of man. It's crazy :p
    They're getting there. My uncle's the tour manager for this tour, unfuckingbelieveable guitar playing!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    They're getting there. My uncle's the tour manager for this tour, unfuckingbelieveable guitar playing!
    I know. When I saw them, this was around early 2005 for a tsunami benefit I think, I actually couldn't believe I was seeing a guitarist of that calibre, at that age, playing in some crappy pub on a tiny rock in the middle of the Irish sea. I always thought he was destined to be stuck there unfairly :D seems I was wrong. No one has heard of them in mainland UK though. I think their style of music is much more suited to America to be honest.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I know. When I saw them, this was around early 2005 for a tsunami benefit I think, I actually couldn't believe I was seeing a guitarist of that calibre, at that age, playing in some crappy pub on a tiny rock in the middle of the Irish sea. I always thought he was destined to be stuck there unfairly :D seems I was wrong. No one has heard of them in mainland UK though. I think their style of music is much more suited to America to be honest.
    They had a successful show at SXSW this year, and are playing a few other big festivals this summer I think. Definitley a band to watch in the coming years.
  • Nirvana's "Breed" by Local H:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=J2zgzB_kx60

The Ramones' "Commando" by Tool:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gNBlhczvq4o
  • Forgot to list my fav..

Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g4v9phYZmdM
  • Cowboy Junkies-Sweet Jane
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    RATM - Street Fighting Man (Rolling Stones)
    M.A.C.C. - Hey Baby (Jimi Hendrix)
    Soundgarden - Into The Void (Black Sabbath)
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan)
    RHCP - Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder)
    Faith No More - Easy (Lionel Richie)
    Metallica - Last Caress/Green Hell (The Misfits)
    Muse - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want (The Smiths)
    311 - Lovesong (The Cure)
    Faith No More - War Pigs (Black Sabbath)
    Deftones - Simple Man (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
    Queens Of The Stone Age - Never Say Never (Romeo Void)
    System Of A Down - The Metro (Berlin)
    Pixies - I Can't Forget (Leonard Cohen)
    Nirvana - Oh Me (Meat Puppets)
    Smashing Pumpkins - Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
    10000 maniacs - Everyday Is Like Sunday (Morrissey)
    New Order - Ceremony (Joy Division)
    Pixies - Head On (The Jesus And Mary Chain)

i could go forever..
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Was already a great song, but love Tori Amos's cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit
  • AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    Manfred Mann- Blinded by the Light (The Boss)
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.