Concept Album

EPhi1430EPhi1430 Posts: 33
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I listened to Rush's 2112 album today and it got me thinking about great concept albums. That one gets a vote along with The Wall, Sgt Peppers and Quadrophenia and Tommy. What are some of yours??
Thats okay man, cause I love Frogs

Shows:
7/2/98 8/18/00 8/20/00 8/21/00 4/21/03(Home town) 4/25/00 - cancelled:( 6/19/03 6/22/03 10/2/04 10/6/04
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Limp Bizkit's "3 dollar bill Ya'll"

The concept: to suck harder than any band has ever sucked before.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    The Wall
    Zen Arcade
    the Minions
  • JasonAZJasonAZ Posts: 11
    Any list of top concept albums must include Pink Floyd - 'The Wall'
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    In spite of Green Day's beating it into the ground, American Idiot remains a brilliant concept album. I am also a big fan of The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Afghan Whigs' Black Love. It's like the darkest film you've never seen, set to music.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • While it's not on top of my list, I just want to include one seriously overlooked (and largely unknown) concept album: Prince Paul's A Prince Among Thieves

It tells the story of Tariq and True, two aspiring rappers, and the trials and tribulations they face in achieving their goal. Obstacles include criminals, crooked cops, women, record labels, and ultimately each other. While this isn't purely original subject matter - that's not exactly the point. The medium in which the story is told - and how well it's executed - is.

The cast Paul assembled to tell this tale handles their roles perfectly: Breezely Brewin, Big Sha, De La Soul, Big Daddy Kane, Chubb Rock, Kool Keith, Biz Markie, and several others. They even shot a short film to go along with the music.

This album represents one of the most creative moments in hip-hop history...it's a shame that so few people even know it exists.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    pink floyds Animals is freaking amazing. while not as "concepty" as the wall and dark side of the moon. it has a theme throughout the album. by far my favorite floyd album.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    boroff89 wrote:
    In spite of Green Day's beating it into the ground, American Idiot remains a brilliant concept album. I am also a big fan of The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute.

Hardly brilliant
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Brain Of E wrote:
    Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero

Although I got tired of this album really fast, it is one of the few concept albums to actually complete stick to the concept.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Hardly brilliant

Blah blah. I've seen you post on the album before, and as with all of your posts, what you had to say was unintelligent. It sounded as if you hadn't even listened to the album. "What, they're political all of a sudden so they're brilliant?" Anyone who makes this argument has made no effort to listen to the album.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • ZjorZZjorZ Posts: 15
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blanket Planet

One of my favorite bands, all of their albums are just great. Saw them live at Pinkpop-festival(Netherlands), their performance was really overwhelming. I nearly had to cry, it was so perfect and had so much emotion.

If u dont know them, they are a progrock band from England. They have a wide variety of songs, with a good mix of somewhat softer songs and some heavier stuff. You really should check them out. These are some songs, but they have so much good songs(they really don't have any "bad" songs at all):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU2XvgoD08E (really great song, not official video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTNO4PBO5Zo (a bit heavier song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHG5f9QEHlA (Lovely song, with a superb guitar solo at the end. Sound quality of the video is not really great)

Going to see them live in october again at the DVD-Shoot in Tilburg (Netherlands), can't wait ;)
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Porcupine Tree's "Deadwing" album is also a concept album, although I have no clue what the heck they're talking about on that one. I love FoaBP however. I was actually listening to it when I read the above post.

Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime" is well-executed, if you like that kind of music.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • caifan82caifan82 Posts: 321
    Dream Theater - Metropolis part 2, Scenes from a memory. This is just an awesome album, from start to finish.
    The also made Six degrees Of Inner Turbulence but, as far as concept albums go, Metropolis 2 is just unbeatable.
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    mastodon - blood mountain
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Alot of the best ones have been mentioned so i'll just add - Ziggy Stardust.

Can I also throw in W.A.S.P's 'The Crimson Idol' as the worst?
  • +1 to 2112, Animals, Fear of a Blank Planet, Deadwing and Metropolis Pt 2

A couple of other good ones...

David Bowie's Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
    Drive-By Truckers' Southern Rock Opera (it's possible that being southern helps with this one)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    While it's not on top of my list, I just want to include one seriously overlooked (and largely unknown) concept album: Prince Paul's A Prince Among Thieves

It tells the story of Tariq and True, two aspiring rappers, and the trials and tribulations they face in achieving their goal. Obstacles include criminals, crooked cops, women, record labels, and ultimately each other. While this isn't purely original subject matter - that's not exactly the point. The medium in which the story is told - and how well it's executed - is.

The cast Paul assembled to tell this tale handles their roles perfectly: Breezely Brewin, Big Sha, De La Soul, Big Daddy Kane, Chubb Rock, Kool Keith, Biz Markie, and several others. They even shot a short film to go along with the music.

This album represents one of the most creative moments in hip-hop history...it's a shame that so few people even know it exists.
    A Prince Among Thieves is fucking insane and brilliant. The MCs he managed to get together is incredible. Kane, De La Soul and Keith on the same album? oh hells yeah.

I'll give another vote to Zen Arcade. Also, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel is a concept album of sorts.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • GangstacroGangstacro Posts: 104
    Local H, the band that had that song "Eddie Vedder", has a concept album out. It's called 12 Angry Months. Each of the 12 songs represents a month after the bitter end of a long-term relationship.

Pretty cool idea. Not a big fan of Local H, but they have had some pretty cool concert ideas including playing each of their albums in full over a stretch of concerts and also passing out an ala carte menu prior to a show and having the fans pick the setlist.
  • Chris gaines! sorry thats the first thing i think of when i hear "concept album"
  • Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    Mastodon - Leviathan
    NIN - Year Zero
    Type O Negative - Slow Deep and Hard
    Tool - Aenima
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    how does Queensryche's "Operation:Mindcrime" not get a mention? (edit, it got mentioned on page 1)

I'd call it a guilty pleasure, but, I don't care what anyone else thinks, so, I gladly say I love this album.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Drive-By Truckers' Southern Rock Opera (it's possible that being southern helps with this one)

Nah, I live in San Diego, and this was the first one that came to mind.

Add Neil Young - Greendale to the list too.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
    The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
    The Who - Tommy
    The Who - Quadrophenia

Loose concept albums:

Radiohead - OK Computer
    The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath
    The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    YES - Fragile
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • JamnJodiJamnJodi Posts: 16
    Arcade Fire-Funeral
    Beach Boys-Pet Sounds
  • The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    The Dears - Protest

Sticky Fingaz - The Autobiography of Kirk Jones
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
    Dark Side of the Moon

I've always kinda felt like Vs. could qualify as a concept album...mainly because of the end of Daughter ('the shades go down') and RVM ('finally the shades are raised'). Don't know what the concept would be, just a thought...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"