Options

Gavin Rossdale's Lyrics

ArabesqueArabesque Posts: 34
edited June 2006 in Other Music
"There's no sex in violence..." Remember those classically awful lines? Well, Gavin had plenty of them with Bush, but the lyrics for his new outfit, Institute are so over-the-top they make me fall on the floor laughing. Just read some of them...

Song: Save the Robots

Lyrical excerpt: Save the robots...Save yourselves...Keep your head to the future, boy...For everything it's worth...I didn't mean to collide with you...We fell so far from Earth...No Guru, No System, No Mantra, Save the Robots...

Song: Information Age

Lyrical excerpt: ...Can't seem to live without...Information Age...System Overload...They shoot you for the fame...Lies flow fast like forehead sutures...We've been betrayed and now we are the hunted...Quartered and splayed...Poisoned by assumption...

Song: When Animals Attack

Lyrical excerpt: These nights are getting longer...Seems like I've always been awake...There is danger in the houses...A Nemesis in shape...She took my mental bones...Placed them where I could feel again...You know how bad things get...When animals attack...You need fire...When animals attack...You need fire...

Song: Boom Box

Lyrical excerpt: ...If tolerance is dead...There'll be no rest for the living...Imagine no trouble and little respite...This boom box needs batteries...This boom box needs batteries...Lovers and dangerous...Love will find a way through everything...Sick at the thought of losing you...No one else for my room...Soft as the snow that comes...YOU MOVE LIKE ELECTRIC WINDOW...

And so on...you get the point. But how can ANYONE, including Gavin, take him seriously? Apparently he does, because he's so serious about his music and that's the funniest part! He apparently isn't trying to make no sense but he accomplishes it perfectly every time. How can the musicians he's playing with keep a straight face???? This is the funniest album I've ever heard. I mean..."Save the Robots?" And he's NOT kidding...Save the Robots is the slow song at the end of the album!

Any thoughts?
"This is another sing-a-long." - Eddie Vedder before singing Lukin live at Madison Square Garden.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,754
    Good stuff. I think may have to get "This boom box needs batteries" tattooed on my ass because I'm so touched by Gavin's ability to see right though me.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    that's the reason he sings everything so you can't understand the words.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Yeah, this guy has to be one of the worst lyricists of all time. I've always thought that. He's kind of a wanker.
  • Options
    its "Theres no sex in your violence"
    as in refering to the glamoriseing and sexing up of violence
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    I understand...but explain to me how that relates to "I don't believe that Elvis is dead, yeah"
    "This is another sing-a-long." - Eddie Vedder before singing Lukin live at Madison Square Garden.
  • Options
    meh who knows i still like the song

:P
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i always liked

"the cupboards are empty we really need food
    summer is winter and you always knew"
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    I like how his lyrics have been so consistently oblique. It's like his trademark and for better or worse he doesn't deviate from it.

The man's a fucking rocker too. He leaves it all on the stage. I saw Bush on tour for "Golden State" and they were playing to a half empty stadium and the man rocked so hard that he needed oxygen halfway through the set. I fucking appreciated the effort compared to most acts that go through the motions
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Bush puts on a great show...first concert I ever saw... back in 95 or so...
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Bush was amazing in concert! Institute is a good album IMO...just love the sound even if the lyrics are a little...different :)
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    I'm not saying I don't like Bush. In fact, I own every Bush album, yes, even Golden State. I always really liked their music. I thought Science of Things was a very underrated CD. I'm just pointing out how silly Rossdale's lyrics are and have always been.

I can't get into Institute yet, but it might grow on me. I want a T-shirt that says "Save the Robots" on it.
  • Options
    mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap !
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    This thread is fucking hillarious, I remember the days long ago when I tried to make sense of Bush's lyrics, I bet Gwen Stiff fanny dosen't help neither.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Saw Bush on the sixteen stone tour in 1996 with the Goo goo dolls and no doubt opening.
    I also saw them on the Razorblade suitcase tour with Varucca salt (Verucca salt was awful).

I really liked Bush's live shows. Unfortunatley, I don't think they played Houston ever again after the Razorblade tour. Maybe the Golden state tour, if there was one, but I stopped listening to Bush after the Techno phase they went through. It just didn't do anything for me- something was off.

Is Institute worth seeing?
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Gavin is a good singer, I agree not the best song writer but that institute album is great.
  • Options
    hahaha, making fun of Bush lyrics is one of my favorite past times. Here's my Absoute Favorite Worst Line Ever Written In Music:

Limbo this and limbo that,
    You are this and you are that.

I mean, come on! lolallthewaytothebank.
  • Options
    elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    Arabesque wrote:
    "There's no sex in violence..." Remember those classically awful lines? Well, Gavin had plenty of them with Bush, but the lyrics for his new outfit, Institute are so over-the-top they make me fall on the floor laughing. Just read some of them...

Lyrical excerpt: Save the robots...Save yourselves...Keep your head to the future, boy...For everything it's worth...I didn't mean to collide with you...We fell so far from Earth...No Guru, No System, No Mantra, Save the Robots...

Lyrical excerpt: ...Can't seem to live without...Information Age...System Overload...They shoot you for the fame...Lies flow fast like forehead sutures...We've been betrayed and now we are the hunted...Quartered and splayed...Poisoned by assumption...

Lyrical excerpt: These nights are getting longer...Seems like I've always been awake...There is danger in the houses...A Nemesis in shape...She took my mental bones...Placed them where I could feel again...You know how bad things get...When animals attack...You need fire...When animals attack...You need fire...

Lyrical excerpt: ...If tolerance is dead...There'll be no rest for the living...Imagine no trouble and little respite...This boom box needs batteries...This boom box needs batteries...Lovers and dangerous...Love will find a way through everything...Sick at the thought of losing you...No one else for my room...Soft as the snow that comes...YOU MOVE LIKE ELECTRIC WINDOW...

And so on...you get the point. But how can ANYONE, including Gavin, take him seriously? Apparently he does, because he's so serious about his music and that's the funniest part! He apparently isn't trying to make no sense but he accomplishes it perfectly every time. How can the musicians he's playing with keep a straight face???? This is the funniest album I've ever heard. I mean..."Save the Robots?" And he's NOT kidding...Save the Robots is the slow song at the end of the album!

Any thoughts?

little embarrassed to admit, but i once made a girl cry because i read aloud the lyrics, and on display how awful they were (i was 20, but i'd do it again today, maybe Coldplay lyrics this time):)
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Arabesque wrote:

Any thoughts?

Memories of Dylan at his best
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    "this boom box needs batteries"

what the fuck is wrong with him?
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    Arabesque wrote:

Any thoughts?
    maybe we are missing something in translation?
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.