Martha Wainwright

joseppijoseppi Posts: 58
edited November 2006 in Other Music
I bought her latest album and it's great. I read on the iTunes site that her song 'Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole' is about her father (Loudon Wainwright). Is this true? And what happened between them?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Isn't "BMFA" about Martha's father?
    Not really, no. Quite a while ago, Martha thought it would be amusing to say that she wrote "Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole" about her father, Loudon Wainwright III. It got a pretty good laugh from the crowds, but eventually the joke kinda backfired on her & that's all journalists could ask her about.

The truth is that the song was merely inspired by a conversation she had with her father. He didn't think she was taking her career seriously, that she was "messing around." He implied that he didn't think she had what it takes to make it in the music business. And Martha was scared that maybe he had a point. So really, "BMFA" is about herself. Some may remember early performances of the song when she introduced it with "I'm not sure who this song's about."

There have also been reports that "BMFA" is based upon Martha's discovery that Loudon's song "I'd Rather Be Lonely" was written about the year that she lived with him in New York when she was 14. Apparently, it was a disaster. Here's a lyric from the song:

I think that I need some space
    Everyday you're in my face
    How can I get rid of you?
    I'd rather be lonely

It's anybody's guess whether or not there is truth to these lyrics' inspiration, but the bottom line is this: it's an amazing song that's really an anthem for the listener. A big "fuck you" to that one person who judges you the most. Insert name here...
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • P.S.....it's awesome that you listen to her & that song is brilliant.

But be warned you aren't going to get many responses for Martha Wainwright discusion on this board since she didn't come out of seattle in the early 90's.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg

But be warned you aren't going to get many responses for Martha Wainwright discusion on this board since she didn't come out of seattle in the early 90's.

ha ha...
    Yeah, I wasn't sure what type of response I'd get, but the CD is fantastic! Thanks for the answer, by the way...

Here's a response :D

I have her cd, saw her live and I interviewed her. She's a little crazy, but very cool. And a great talent. Love BMFA.
  • She does an incredible job with Snow Patrol as well