Anyone seen the video to the newest U2 single?

DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
edited January 2007 in Other Music
I saw it last night, and it is pretty rediculous. It shows all these historic rock bands/acts in sort of like a collage. The artists that I saw were The Clash, David Bowie, Nirvana, the Stones...but thats just a few. Anyway, they made it so it looks like all these artists are mouthing the words to the U2 song. It's disgusting. I'm not U2 fan and the fact that they are so self-righteous they would have some of the greatest rock acts of all time singing their shitty new single pisses me off. What other band would have the balls to do that? At least the Chili Peppers dressed up as people and made it sort of a satire. U2 isn't even in the video, it's just old clips. I think there may even have been a shot of the Even Flow video in it. Pisses me off is all.

And here is a link to the video is you haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VskbxuehP3I

I doubt Zappa would be caught dead singing a U2 song.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• U2 are so pretentious, it's not funny. If PJ release anything with U2 which isn't exclusively for the fans, I'm seriously reconsidering how much I respect PJ's decisions. They've made some crazy ones in their time, but this would take the cake.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    The song sucks and so does the video. I like a lot of what U2 has done, but sometimes they totally suck.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    well im gonna have to go against all of you so far and say that was a pretty inventive, unique video. i see at as more of a celebration of music, although i do see the way it could be interpreted as pretentious and self absorbed. i thought it was quite clever and enjoyed seeing all my favourite artists, but one question:

WHERE THE hell WAS FREDDIE MERCURY?

thats what had me pissed.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    I don't like U2 and thought the video was kinda cool. The song is good too.
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    That video is the most pretentious and ridiculous thing i've ever seen. I have no respect for U2 anymore
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • robblerobble Posts: 63
    yet another reason to hate the most overrated band ever! (no doubt i'll get ripped for that but i couldn't care less)
    Astoria 20-4-06, Dublin 23-8-06, London 18-06-07
    It's A Right Royal Cockney Barrel Of Monkeys
    All Monkfish Great And Small
  • I like the song and video - what's up with the U2 bashing? it's fucking ridiculous around here. The song and video is a homage to all these artists, right?
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• I like the song and video - what's up with the U2 bashing? it's fucking ridiculous around here. The song and video is a homage to all these artists, right?

Yeah, I can't agree with you more.
    All of you, what the hell do you have against U2?!
    Their music is masterpiece, every one of their songs is unique!

they have 2 video versions for this new single (window in the skies)
    and both of them are really good.
    this one with mouth openers is a bit funny to me and made me laugh!
    the second one is with pictures shot from their very first day listing in a background.

both of them are something new to me - from U2
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi
  • really cool video, and a good song considering new u2 these days isn't up to par with their earlier stuff.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    One, the song was utter shit.
    Two, would Kurt honestly want to be in a U2 video.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I'm not a U2 fan, but I enjoyed the video. I looked at it as a homage rather than U2 postioning themselves as legends in their own right. Afterall, they're in the audience appreciating music history, right? I don't remember if there was any U2 performance footage in there, but either way I'm not concerned. It's just a music video!

Bono as an individual gets on my nerves, but I'm not going to complain too much about a band making basic, listenable rock music and that actually gets attention from the general public. At least as far as I can tell they're not following trends or trying to be something they're not. If U2 is just sticking to their own tried and tested formula for making a hit song that's their business. I'm not enthralled by anything thev'e done recently, but they're not hurting my feelings either.
  • phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    One, the song was utter shit.

would Keith Moon and John Bonham agree to be in that video if they'll both still be alive??

I seriously doubt it!!!

The song isn't really good but it isn't really bad either....
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    If Courtney could make money from it he would (or so she'd tell you).
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    paraphrasing the 2 old guys on the Guinness commercials :

" Brilliant ! ! "
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • They're just paying tribute to other artists they like. Even though U2 is better than anybody in that video or the world.
    Strictly for my ninjas
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    This horrible, disgusting, offensive, pretentious, evil, demonic video caused my cat to kill herself. She was watching it on a computer screen while I had it on, and then she just ran and jumped out of an open window!!!!!

Not only that... but the song itself caused a riot at my local grocery store. People were walking along minding their own business, and buying pasta, grooving to an instrumental Muzak version of Toto's 'Africa' when THIS song came on!!!

Suddenly people went haywire... and began fighting, and killing each other!!!

I hid in the canned goods aisle, and if it weren't for all the Goya pinto beans to deflect bullets I'd have been shot dead by the arriving S.W.A.T. team.

THOSE guys, the coppers, they just LOOOOVED the song.

U2 is plotting to destroy our world, and not in a good cool revolutionary way... more like in a... not so good cool revolutionary way. Like, a bad way. A really... bad... bad ... not cool way.

BONO I WANT A NEW CAT!!!!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    jerve5150 wrote:
    They're just paying tribute to other artists they like. Even though U2 is better than anybody in that video or the world.

No.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • It just reminded me of how many artists are better than U2, but then they were singing a U2 song so it sort of turned me off. And all of U2's songs are unique? Ahahaha. Every song on their last two albums is exactly the same.
  • sorry U2 will never be among the greatest of all time they've been around forever but still don't come close to the greatness of PJ...i think Bono should take off the shades and see the light. they had one album i consider really good achtung baby and i wonder all the time where the hell did that come from and who helped them write it because nothing else they ever made compares to it. they aren't a shitty little nobody band by any means but just a good one.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • IDgotI wrote:

I hid in the canned goods aisle, and if it weren't for all the Goya pinto beans to deflect bullets I'd have been shot dead by the arriving S.W.A.T. team.

This will actually happen when tickets for their next tour go on sale
    Strictly for my ninjas
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    IDgotI wrote:
    This horrible, disgusting, offensive, pretentious, evil, demonic video caused my cat to kill herself. She was watching it on a computer screen while I had it on, and then she just ran and jumped out of an open window!!!!!

Not only that... but the song itself caused a riot at my local grocery store. People were walking along minding their own business, and buying pasta, grooving to an instrumental Muzak version of Toto's 'Africa' when THIS song came on!!!

THOSE guys, the coppers, they just LOOOOVED the song.

U2 is plotting to destroy our world, and not in a good cool revolutionary way... more like in a... not so good cool revolutionary way. Like, a bad way. A really... bad... bad ... not cool way.

BONO I WANT A NEW CAT!!!!
    In other words....you thought the video was great...

So did I. Inventive and respectful and I loved trying to figure out who all the clips were.

Great video.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    I loved that video! I just watched it three times in a row!

I don't really care for the song, though.

And while U2 are pretentious, I find the video to be more of a tribute to the artists and bands that they admire, than any attempte to equate themselves with said artist's and band's greatness.

Good job! It reminds me of just how fucking amazing some of those artists are/were, and how powerful the music they made was/is.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Otis64Otis64 Posts: 41
    Ohh Please, end this nonsense!

The U2 bashing will get you NO WHERE! Just because Bono exploits himself more than any other artist, doesn't mean he sucks. Listen to the song. The lyrics. If you don't like it or don't like U2, Fine. Everyone has their own opinion.

And don't be saying U2 are pretentious. Come on. WE ALL KNOW EVERY MUSICIAN WITH A RECORD DEAL IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER IS A PRETENTIOUS PRICK! So don't play that card.

All these artists you all mention who would cringe at knowing they were in this video, Zappa, Kurt. They all had their problems too. Ever read Kurt's journal? Just because Bono has whored himself to the corporate world doesn't make him any worse than Kurt.

All that junk aside, please, ENOUGH U2 BASHING.
    It's Gonna Be A Long Walk Home
  • Otis64 wrote:
    Ohh Please, end this nonsense!

The U2 bashing will get you NO WHERE! Just because Bono exploits himself more than any other artist, doesn't mean he sucks. Listen to the song. The lyrics. If you don't like it or don't like U2, Fine. Everyone has their own opinion.

And don't be saying U2 are pretentious. Come on. WE ALL KNOW EVERY MUSICIAN WITH A RECORD DEAL IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER IS A PRETENTIOUS PRICK! So don't play that card.

All these artists you all mention who would cringe at knowing they were in this video, Zappa, Kurt. They all had their problems too. Ever read Kurt's journal? Just because Bono has whored himself to the corporate world doesn't make him any worse than Kurt.

All that junk aside, please, ENOUGH U2 BASHING.

Hrmmm...U2 sucks. Their music ia trash and Bono is an asshole.