Why is Jack Johnson so popular?

Comments

• SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Easy listening popular music with a positive vibe and summer feeling!

like it at the right moment.
  • Cos he's easier to sing along to than the Mars Volta?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    This statement might be true in highschool, but for most of us it's not. And for the record, Dane Cook is annoying, and not all that funny.

I don't mind Jack Johnson... it's cool to relax to or listen to by the pool. I'd never pay to see him live, but he's ok.
    I agree with you 100% with your statement.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Jack Johnson is frat boy rock.

I can go down to the local bar and see shit that sounds just like this.

The fact that he is headlining major fastivals this year is a bit troubling.
    Cos he's easier to sing along to than the Mars Volta?
    LMAO :D

Those jerks owe me $12 for one of their shitty albums. :mad:
  • LongRd. wrote:
    LMAO :D

Those jerks owe me $12 for one of their shitty albums. :mad:

This is false. They haven't made a bad album.

At lease the Mars Volta can play something not in 4/4.
  • This is false. They haven't made a bad album.

At lease the Mars Volta can play something not in 4/4.

What good does a 6/8 time signature count for if it's unlistenable?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • People have such low expectations for musicians that Foo Fighters and Jack Johnson are popular. Myself, I'm holding out for the biggest asshole in rock history to come back and put out an album. At least he can actually write a classic song. http://youtube.com/watch?v=HY4jHoVSXxg
    This is what good music sounds like kids not that generic Foo Fighter, Jack Johnson, and Nickleback crap you've had crammed down your throats from the modern rock press.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    He is okay but I think he's overrated in my opinion.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    Matty Boy wrote:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=HY4jHoVSXxg
    This is what good music sounds like kids...
    One of the most overrated band ever. They made one classic album and they're legends? :rolleyes:
  • What good does a 6/8 time signature count for if it's unlistenable?

Unlistenable? Please.

There are a shit ton more band far more abstract than the Mars Volta. Just cause everyone here is into 4/4 powerchord rock, doesn't mean it's unlistenable.

Please...please...listen to some jazz people. Expand your mind a bit.

And 6/8?

Try 11/17.
  • Unlistenable? Please.

There are a shit ton more band far more abstract than the Mars Volta. Just cause everyone here is into 4/4 powerchord rock, doesn't mean it's unlistenable.

Please...please...listen to some jazz people. Expand your mind a bit.

And 6/8?

Try 11/17.

It's not the time signature I find unlistenable. It's the vocals, and lack of song.:)
  • It's not the time signature I find unlistenable. It's the vocals, and lack of song.:)

See, one again my point.

The mars volta still keep it pretty standard. ALL of their songs have verse, chorus, verse, bridge...etc. etc.

Just because they have keys and sax and extra percussion doesn't mean they don't write songs. They aren't even that crazy is my point.

And the vocals are amazing.

I bet you never listened to Mr. Bungle or Rush either.
  • See, one again my point.

The mars volta still keep it pretty standard. ALL of their songs have verse, chorus, verse, bridge...etc. etc.

Just because they have keys and sax and extra percussion doesn't mean they don't write songs. They aren't even that crazy is my point.

And the vocals are amazing.

I bet you never listened to Mr. Bungle or Rush either.

Okay - you enjoy the vocals, I don't. It's all subjective.

Same token - other folks enjoy Jack Johnson, even though you find him unlistenable.

This musical elitism, the attitude of "I listen to [insert wanky band here] so I'm much better than you plebs", really confuses me.
  • I'm just defending a band I like. You said it was noise, it clearly isn't. I didn't say I was better, just stating some facts.

Also, I don't find Jack Johnson unlistenable, just extremely fucking boring.
  • I'm just defending a band I like. You said it was noise, it clearly isn't. I didn't say I was better, just stating some facts.

Also, I don't find Jack Johnson unlistenable, just extremely fucking boring.

And I'm just defending Jack Johnson.:)
  • And I'm just defending Jack Johnson.:)

Hey, you brought da Volta into this.

You reap what you sow.
  • Hey, you brought da Volta into this.

You reap what you sow.

Do I need to explain this?

I know you love "da Volta". I don't.
    Some people love "da Johnson". You don't.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i was a really big fan before he was huge...got into him from one of his surf films actually (thicker than water and september sessions are my favs!). i was lucky enough to see him in really small venues...a much better vibe than seeing him in some huge amphitheater, imo.

it was great for a certain time in my life...it sort of calmed me down. but, i haven't listened to him in a couple years. i won't lie...i quite enjoyed it when he was "my little secret"...but his popularity didn't cause me to stop listening.
    i just started to crave more challenging musical styles.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • From trying to REALLY talk to my friends about music, I find that they really just don't get it. Music doesn't have the same effect on everyone. If you don't digest music heavily or well, you're not going to care what you are listening to- it's just a tune. And the simplest tunes are going to appeal. I have one friend who is literally tone deaf. She really doesn't hear differences in music. Hard to measure the passion of music when you can't even hear the difference.

As far as the singer/songwriter types, I have never been able to get into many of them. I think the only one I REALLY like is Pete Yorn. And I really have no idea why I like him so much- at first I was like "I am going to hate this." But I love him, I've seen him live like a million times.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Matty Boy wrote:
    People have such low expectations for musicians that Foo Fighters and Jack Johnson are popular.
    Low expectations for musicians?

Uhm no. It's not low expectations. It's differences of opinions. We don't all like the same things. That doesn't make you right and them wrong. Is that really so freaking hard to understand?
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I like all of jack's other stuff.... but i think his new album sucks!!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    It's the perfect BBQ music. Nice evening out on the deck, friends, a few beers, and great background music.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln
  • this one time...I was drinking Natural Lite and a guy came up and said

...you know there are a lot better beers than that

really?

yeah, that beer has no taste ....it's tasteless!!!!

I said ...I kinda like this beer but maybe I'll give another beer a good try

hmmm..what's jack Johnson's music taste like???
    the Minions
  • LongRd. wrote:
    One of the most overrated band ever. They made one classic album and they're legends? :rolleyes:
    They are legends. They were the best band since Led Zeppelin. Lies and The Illusions are actually pretty killer too.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    They are legends. They were the best band since Led Zeppelin.

Whatever.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Pearl Jam fans are some of the greatest people in the world but they are also some of the most egotistical, all-knowing-riotous fuckers out there.
    I understand that some of you don't like certain types of music, and that's fine but some of your ignorant comments are just that.
    I know people that call Bob Dylan boring (and others that like him because they think they should). I know people that call jazz a waste of time (and others that say they like it but cannot tell me jazz musicians other then Miles Davis or Coltrane). I know people that love classical music (and others that don't give it a chance). I also know others that like Dave Matthews and/or Jack Johnson (and I also know others that don't because they know "that type" and doesn't want anything to do with them and will still never admit the fact that they are good musicians despite whatever fanbase they have problems with...maybe because they didn't fit in with that group in high school and still feel bitter about it...which is fuckin pathetic and should probably get the fuck over it!)
    Either way, the Pearl Jam fans I know and hang out with appreciate good music for what it's worth. Jack Johnson is a simplistic, easy going acoustic rock musician who has millions of fans not because "it's cool" (though that type may be out there, just like the "anti-type" which is equally pathetic is also out there) but because people need a release from life and he brings just that. Whether you get your kicks from a Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, Miles Davis, etc. you have to/should appreciate what others bring to the table...if not you just are one ignorant fuck!
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    mca47 wrote:
    Pearl Jam fans are some of the greatest people in the world but they are also some of the most egotistical, all-knowing-riotous fuckers out there.
    I understand that some of you don't like certain types of music, and that's fine but some of your ignorant comments are just that.
    I know people that call Bob Dylan boring (and others that like him because they think they should). I know people that call jazz a waste of time (and others that say they like it but cannot tell me jazz musicians other then Miles Davis or Coltrane). I know people that love classical music (and others that don't give it a chance). I also know others that like Dave Matthews and/or Jack Johnson (and I also know others that don't because they know "that type" and doesn't want anything to do with them and will still never admit the fact that they are good musicians despite whatever fanbase they have problems with...maybe because they didn't fit in with that group in high school and still feel bitter about it...which is fuckin pathetic and should probably get the fuck over it!)
    Either way, the Pearl Jam fans I know and hang out with appreciate good music for what it's worth. Jack Johnson is a simplistic, easy going acoustic rock musician who has millions of fans not because "it's cool" (though that type may be out there, just like the "anti-type" which is equally pathetic is also out there) but because people need a release from life and he brings just that. Whether you get your kicks from a Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, Miles Davis, etc. you have to/should appreciate what others bring to the table...if not you just are one ignorant fuck!

yes.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    i listen to him though i must say i think he is nothing that great like there are other folk artists better than him who struggle for that type of popularity.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    same reason why cold play is so popular.

accessible. easy listening, melodic tunes with some integrity.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick