Regina Spektor

DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
edited July 2007 in Other Music
So I've heard her name thrown around for a while now, but never really gave her a listen. I finally bought Begin To Hope the other day and was floored. She is amazing. I'm a huge Fiona Apple fan and she comes off as a younger/more playful version of Fiona. She has some crazy lyrics too. I bought Soviet Kitsch today. Does anyone else here like her? Def gonna check her out at Lollapalooza.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    One of the worst vocalists I have ever heard, annoying as hell.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Wow...really?
    She is so bad that it boggles my mind that anything like that could become popular.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

I'm in shock. Billy Corgan, Corin Tucker, Geddy Lee...I can see how some people might not like their voices. But Regina has a fucking beautiful voice and can hit some incredible notes.
    I'm in shock. Billy Corgan, Corin Tucker, Geddy Lee...I can see how some people might not like their voices. But Regina has a fucking beautiful voice and can hit some incredible notes.

Breaks my he ar ar ar ar ar ar ar ar arrrr arrrrrrrrrrrt...............absolutely awful, cant stand that yuppie coffee shop bullshit music either.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Yikes. Okay.
  • JamnJodiJamnJodi Posts: 16
    I've never seen her live (other than you tube) but she's the real deal, super talented! It's hard not to compare her to Fiona, I mean she sounds just like her on the opening track on Begin to hope! Her piano style is very similiar...BUT, in my mind/opinion, no one can come close to Fiona.
    Yeah, Fiona is my fucking girl, but Regina is pretty awesome. Like I said she is more playful/theatrical than Fiona and she writes some crazy lyrics.
  • tsopotelbatsopotelba Posts: 80
    I'll back you up here, DaytimeDilemma. Regina Spektor's great. I've had Hotel Song stuck in my head for days. :)
  • She is fantastic...She has a great Indie EP called Live at Bull Moose.

I think she is unique/trendy, but she has legitimate talent. She showed it at Bonnaroo, where she wowed the crowed.

Oh and hello everyone...i have been a long time reader and figured it was time for me to join the gang.

Cheers,
    Adam
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Regina went to my college. She was really popular on campus my first few years, she graduated when I was a sophomore... it's pretty cool to see some of singers/bands get famous/popular... or even get a record deal.

Regina Spektor
    Dan Deacon
    Kiss Kiss
    and the Fire Flies should be getting signed soon.

they all went to purchase college in ny.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I really like her, but Begin To Hope is not her best work. It sounds a lot more produced than the rest of her work, but I still like it. Damn hard to get hold of some of her earlier albums over here though.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    She is so bad that it boggles my mind that anything like that could become popular.

Regina is amazing man... i dunno what you're talking about, her voice is classically trained.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I had to sleep in and do some errands... friends saw her.

Had no idea who she was... then after the rest of the show my friend plays a BBC broadcast and interview which BLOWS AWAY her own album - since it was just her and a piano.

I'm brand new fan - from within the last 24 hours.

Check THIS out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQm0QlfvWtk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oazB5-_2QF8
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • She killed at Lolla. Just her and her piano. It was amazing and she is gorgeous.
  • She is fantastic...She has a great Indie EP called Live at Bull Moose.

I think she is unique/trendy, but she has legitimate talent. She showed it at Bonnaroo, where she wowed the crowed.

Hi everyone,
    I worked on the Live At Bull Moose EP, so I could easily be biased. However, let me just say that the EP does show that she really is as talented as she seems to be on her studio CDs. If you can imagine a record store being completely silent on a busy day, you can get an idea of how captivating she is live.

She was not having a good day-she had a migrane and hadn't eaten-but she pulled everything together. Warner Bros. has the recordings. There probably are another eight songs from that day. I'm sure that some of the songs were never otherwise recorded. Once she relaxed after the recording and had some food, she was really nice too.

Of course, if you simply don't like her voice or her style, then that's something else entirely... We could always use a few more good musicians who write distinctive songs.
    Chris from Bull Moose
    www.bullmoose.com
  • Missed her at Lolla, but I'm a fan for sure. I would not compare her to Tori Amos, but she's certainly very talented like Fiona.