If I was in Soundgarden, I would sue. This band is a complete rip-off.(Madden 08).

DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
edited August 2007 in Other Music
So I was playing Madden 08 last night then this song came on. I was like, "Is this the new Cornell? It sounds exactly like Soundgarden." So I checked the song list and it was this band Operator. They are from LA and my god I could't believe how blatant this is a rip-off of Soundgarden. From the lead singer's voice to the guitars to everything. It's unbelivable. Check out their myspace and listen to the song "Soulcrusher" to see what I mean:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=7461454
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the sound of every new band is a derivative of an older band.

I wouldn't say it's a blatant rip-off of Soundgarden. Sure, the singer's mid-range sounds somewhat like Cornell, but his upper range comes nowhere close to sounding the same.

The only way Soundgarden could sue is if a band was actually plagarizing a song.

If you could sue another band for sounding too similar, there would be way too many lawsuits out there... starting with the dude from Seether ripping off Cobain's vocals.
  • Hey man I totally agree. They have been playing this song on my local radio station quite a bit and I just assumed it was a new Cornell song, I never thought it was some other band. That's ridiculous, he sounds just like him. Not like this is the first time this has happened though.
    Be Safe In East Cleveland
  • All those "post-grunge" bands are derivative of the big four.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Gotta chime in... Definitely tryin to sound like cornell and soundgarden. WOW!!!!! Throw in some NIN too. Oh yeah, and some old riffs from Smashin pumpkins and ya get Operators Soul Crusher
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    i think if cornell thought they were ripping his style and his old bands style off he had his chance to call them out......

in may he headlined one of those radio festivals in indpls,and this band was also on the bill.........
  • The albums actually not half bad.