Kanye West - Graduation

DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Anyone else mega pumped for this album? Kanye's albums are all amazing, and they are a breath of fresh air in hip-hop. He definitely raises the bar yet keeps it old school with his killer beats. Anyway, it comes out Sept. 11. I know I'll be getting it on the first day.

Cover: http://www.tokyomango.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/13/graduationalbumcover.jpg

Album Preview(w/ a preview of 50 Cent's new album): http://www.defsounds.com/editorials/view/2361-curtis-vs-graduation-the-preview.html

"Homecoming feat. Chris Martin of Coldplay": http://www.zshare.net/audio/3343578c6508f1/

Word.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• larslars Posts: 524
    idiot, this is a shit-rap free zone
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
    lars wrote:

Kanye's music is pretty good. I am not the biggest of rap fans, however I like his stuff.
  • Kanye is like the U2, Pearl Jam, RHCP of hip-hop. Not in terms of music, but his albums are always grand spectacles and a highly anticipated release. It's awesome.
  • lars wrote:

You sound like my Grandpa!!!

There is good mainstream rap (Wu-Tang, Nas, Kanye, Outkast) and crap rap (almost anything else played on the radio).

I'm stoked for this CD btw, I hope 50 Cent gets his ass stomped by Kanye.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    You sound like my Grandpa!!!

There is good mainstream rap (Wu-Tang, Nas, Kanye, Outkast) and crap rap (almost anything else played on the radio).

I'm stoked for this CD btw, I hope 50 Cent gets his ass stomped by Kanye.

Id put Kanye in the C category of rap as well, C-Rap if you like.

50 is worse though, saw a video of his that he has done with justin timberlake. I know he'll be getting lots of money out of this but has he no pride at all?
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • stu gee wrote:
    Id put Kanye in the C category of rap as well, C-Rap if you like.

50 is worse though, saw a video of his that he has done with justin timberlake. I know he'll be getting lots of money out of this but has he no pride at all?

To each his own as I can't tell someone else what is good to them. But I think you can not like Kanye (I personally don't like Nas all that much) but still realize he has more talent then most other rappers ESPECIALLY in the mainstream.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
  • Best out today:

Kanye, Nas, KRS-One, Common, Outkast, Q-Tip, Talib, The Roots.
    To each his own as I can't tell someone else what is good to them. But I think you can not like Kanye (I personally don't like Nas all that much) but still realize he has more talent then most other rappers ESPECIALLY in the mainstream.

I thought all falls down was ok but his most recent stuff really doesnt do anything for me. He samples way too much of a tune to the point he's practically just rapping over the original, and to be honest i dont think much of his rapping.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    He definitely raises the bar .

If by "raising the bar" you mean lowering the bar, then I agree with you 100%.
  • Please people, if you don't like Kanye or hip-hop, why the fuck even post in this thread?
    Please people, if you don't like Kanye or hip-hop, why the fuck even post in this thread?

Everyone can add their views if they want. Its just a bit of criticism, im sure you have posted negative comments about artists before!
  • stu gee wrote:
    Everyone can add their views if they want. Its just a bit of criticism, im sure you have posted negative comments about artists before!

I have, but that's if I'm educated on the topic. Obviously a couple of posts in this thread are made by people who don't even listen to hip-hop and just to slam it. I mean I've criticized many bands here, but at least I make an effort before I do so.
    Ive listened to hip hop since i was about 10 years old, stuff like NWA and Dre Dre's old stuff. I still dont mind some of NWA's stuff nowadays but in terms of modern artists the only people i ever listen to is Roots Manuva, Mc Abdominal, The Roots, Dizzee Rascal. Im sure there are a lot more decent artists out there but those are the only ones that have really stood out from the crowd for me and that i can enjoy along with older stuff like De La Soul and Jurassic 5. I dont mind some of Jay Z's less commercial stuff but people like 50 Cent and to a lesser extent Kanye are just pop stars in my eyes.
  • stu gee wrote:
    Ive listened to hip hop since i was about 10 years old, stuff like NWA and Dre Dre's old stuff. I still dont mind some of NWA's stuff nowadays but in terms of modern artists the only people i ever listen to is Roots Manuva, Mc Abdominal, The Roots, Dizzee Rascal. Im sure there are a lot more decent artists out there but those are the only ones that have really stood out from the crowd for me and that i can enjoy along with older stuff like De La Soul and Jurassic 5. I dont mind some of Jay Z's less commercial stuff but people like 50 Cent and to a lesser extent Kanye are just pop stars in my eyes.

That is why in my post I tried to mention Mainstream rap in my list of artists that I respect. I purposly left off rappers like you have mentioned because they are more underground, even the Root don't get a lot of airplay. I like the Roots, Jurassic 5, De La Soul etc. but I consider that hip hop which has become different from rap.

95% of mainstream rap is utter crap maybe more. Kanye to me is one of the few who can bring the beats and has decent (not great) flow.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    That is why in my post I tried to mention Mainstream rap in my list of artists that I respect. I purposly left off rappers like you have mentioned because they are more underground, even the Root don't get a lot of airplay. I like the Roots, Jurassic 5, De La Soul etc. but I consider that hip hop which has become different from rap.

95% of mainstream rap is utter crap maybe more. Kanye to me is one of the few who can bring the beats and has decent (not great) flow.

Fair enough, i suppose i could accept that kanye is easier for me to bear than some of the other stuff out there but that wouldnt be difficult to be honest!

Been listening to a bit of Roots Manuva recently, my friend's girlfriend got me into him ages ago. Might have heard his most famous song, the video of him, at the sports day is quite funny as well, especially the 3 legged race lol

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuSdXKtJX4
  • stu gee wrote:
    Fair enough, i suppose i could accept that kanye is easier for me to bear than some of the other stuff out there but that wouldnt be difficult to be honest!

Been listening to a bit of Roots Manuva recently, my friend's girlfriend got me into him ages ago. Might have heard his most famous song, the video of him, at the sports day is quite funny as well, especially the 3 legged race lol

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuSdXKtJX4
    Anyone else think Roots Manuva is Orlando Jones' doppleganger?

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/59/22/0000015922_20060921061757.jpg
  • Clean version leaked, and it's fucking sweet.