Son Volt: The Search

hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Any fans pick this up today? I got the version from iTunes that has 8 extra tracks and holy shit, this might be the best thing Jay's ever done.
Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    Going after work.

Can't wait to hear it.. Any reviews..
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    I picked it up earlier today, and while I haven't listened all the way through yet, I'ved liked what I've heard so far. It does start out kind of slow though. The first couple tracks aren't anything special, at least not after one listen (way too early to make a good judgement). Towards the middle though it does get a lot better.

As for being the best thing Jay has ever done, wow I just don't think so. I read a review of it that basically said the same thing but I don't think it touches Trace. Not many records do.

Like I said, I need more listens to make a good judgement....
    rock chalk
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    I think there's some reviews on the press page on sonvolt.net or jayfarrar.net but my review is that it takes the best of Terroir Blues (Jay solo album) and adds the Son Volt rock element to it to create a diverse, haunting work. There's Zeppelin-esque stuff, Dylan-esque stuff (Street Legal sounding horns on The Picture), and Jay's classic country stuff. Really an amazing record.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    jhawk98 wrote:
    As for being the best thing Jay has ever done, wow I just don't think so. I read a review of it that basically said the same thing but I don't think it touches Trace. Not many records do.

Like I said, I need more listens to make a good judgement....

Trace is brilliant, but in my opinion he already made a better record in Terroir Blues. I think if The Search ages as well as it's playing right now for me, it will be my favorite.
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    Terroir Blues has some great moments, and I can appreciate Jay feeling things out and trying to stretch his wings a little, but I think the songs tend to run together quite a bit. I think Sebapostal is the better of his solo albums.

Neither one of them are anywhere near as memorable as Trace which is damn near a perfect album.
    rock chalk
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    It's beautiful! I bought the Best Buy edition this evening, and I just finished purchasing the extra tracks from iTunes. I'll probably wait a bit to listen to all the extras so that album has a chance to sink in first.

What a shame Jay Farrar doesn't get the credit he deserves. Sadly I'm still missing his solo records (though I do have Thirdshiftgrottoslack and the Gob Iron CD, strangely enough), but so far I've loved everything I've heard from the guy.
  • Picked it up as soon as best buy opened yesterday morning. Loving it.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Hmm i thought the last album was good, but i don't listen to it too often. Did not have the re playability factor and i was worried this one might not either.

I do like all the good reveiws thus far though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22